Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 ... 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Fleetwood Town Vs Swindon Town: Match Day Thread  (Read 70584 times)
Levi lapper

« Reply #330 on: Saturday, January 3, 2015, 20:19:43 »

A picture in the Daily Mail has the Liverpool Manager at today's match......was it Mr Power he was sitting next to??

Williams to Liverpool, swap deal with ballotelli here on loan. I'm in the know.
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: Saturday, January 3, 2015, 20:34:33 »

Lee Power's hat  Grin

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2895508/Liverpool-boss-Brendan-Rodgers-watches-Fleetwood-Town-draw-2-2-against-Swindon.html

* Ted & Ralph.jpg (47.47 KB, 460x288 - viewed 107 times.)

Roaming the land while you sleep..
WestYorksRed

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: Saturday, January 3, 2015, 20:36:06 »

Captain Pugwash sounds brilliant. At last a team with some imagination for goal music.

Would have been quite funny if we were 3-0 up at the time, probably would have joined in. Slightly less unamusing in retrospect with a point in the bag if that makes sense. To be fair, enjoyable place to visit, feared for the worst when the drums started up at the beginning of the match but old school terracing, close to the action and great chippy just outside the away end. Overall, thought their club seemed to have a good sole (cod army geddit ha ha).....on 2nd thoughts I'll stick to the day job.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: Saturday, January 3, 2015, 20:38:03 »

Just got back. Not sure what to make of that. Fleetwood don't lose many at home so in a sense it's a decent point, but we really should have taken three points today.

First half was same old Swindon really. Dominated the possession, nice passing football from the back, but occasionally a little slow in getting anything going. Swift seemed to slot in very naturally and really did fit with the way we played. My only criticism would be that he is very right-footed. That said, his run into the box for the penalty was fantastic, and he played a lovely through ball with his only left-footed touch of note, only for Toffollo to hit the post. Smith's penalty can only be described as weak, a real waste. He had a pretty poor game all round today.

At half time we were all fairly confident we'd come out and get the goal. But we just fell to pieces, giving the ball away and misplacing passes on a regular basis. Branco had an absolute shocker - I don't think he won a header until the 91st minute, and he was a fault for both of the goals, getting caught out of position and turning slower than the team coach. We got caught twice by the same move and that was that - 2-0 down.

Thannkfully the boys kept plugging away. We weren't creating much but were still getting the ball into good positions, especially in the wide areas. However, Byrne seemed reluctant to take on the full back and balls in from our left were often weak. Eventually we did get one back through a huge slice of luck. Williams capitalised on a defensive error to hit a rather poor shot which looked to be going wide. Thankfully a Fleetwood defender managed to get in the way and it looped into the far corner. Whoever said it didn't take a deflection is incredibly wrong.

Then we kept going forward, plugging away and finally Gladwin seemed to get his crossing boots on. First, a lovely cross to the far post which the defender had to try to head behind from the narrowest angle, sadly he managed it. But then another perfect delivery picked out Thompson who drifted in from the right to knock home from 6 yards.

A special mention to the referee who gave endless petty free kicks and yet refused to use his yellow card. He didn't get any major decisions wrong, but he constantly blew up for nothing challenges, and the game would have flowed much better if he'd controlled it properly.

We're top of the league, but we should win games like this.
k

Agree with everything you said except the ref had an absolute shocker.
Got many decisions wrong and bottled a red with a cynical challenge on Byrne as it appeared he was causing them all sorts of problems.

Bloody Captain Pugwash music was rubbing salt into the wounds but fair play we kept playing and if another 10 minutes reckon we would have won the game.
Fleetwood fans said first half we simply outplayed them.

Still winning at Walsall and getting a point today would take that and top of the league is a good feeling.
Agree with everything you mention about the players.
Thought Stephens and Turnbull played well but missed Nathan.
brocklesby red

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: Saturday, January 3, 2015, 20:43:59 »

Great point in the end but should really have been three. Branco left Morris twice and he made us pay with two tidy finishes. Unfortunately from a similar angle Toffolo hit the post.Gladwin can be utterly brilliant at times and then have a dip from thirty yes when Byrne was in acres of space on the edge of the box.Rodgers was good in his cameo role which allowed Louis to move forward at the end and I have to agree with the comments on Swift,he was a class act. Referee was shit and offered Byrne very little protection.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: Saturday, January 3, 2015, 21:01:31 »

Agree that the ref afforded no protection to Byrne, who they tried to kick out of the game. Not sure any of the challenges were worthy of a red though - a couple of well deserved yellows dished out earlier in the game and it wouldn't have happened.
tonyb

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: Saturday, January 3, 2015, 21:47:11 »

first half you should have been 3-0 up,  second half ,   well we could have won it,   a draw a fair result,   chelsea loanee what a wanker,      dived for the pen and got it,   second time should have been booked,   you played quality football and was appreciated by the home crowd, the best football we have seen this term,   we are a tiny club compared to yourselves but passionate, we respect quality when we see it like today but do not like being cheated,   ie the pen,   fast flowing football, quality, good luck and hope you get promoted, you deserve it.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #337 on: Saturday, January 3, 2015, 21:57:59 »

Interesting game and we should have had it wrapped up at half time. Not sure if it was a pen and a very theatrical tumble by Swift. It was, however, a very good run and the defender did himself no favours. We should have had another later on. The first half was pretty much all us with them having one shot. The second half though you've got to give Alexander credit. they targeted the right back area time and time again and got a goal; that Fods should have saved at his near post. the second was a good finish. both goals defensive shite from Branco. After that it looked like Fleetwood would score again and then Williams comes up with a cracking finish. The ball from gladwin for the equalizer was excellent but Louis showed great desire in getting in on the end of it. If the game had gone on another 5 I would have fancied  us. Overall though happy with a draw and credit to Fleetwood for their second half performance.
On another note its good to go to a club where you can park outside the away end and walk into town in 10 minutes. The natives and stewards were decent and I enjoyed my visit there. Its a tidy little club so good luck to them. also nice to bump into my old mate Skippy in the Wetherspoons when I noticed he was on the next table.   
Langers

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: Saturday, January 3, 2015, 22:06:53 »

Finally back home. Very happy with a point even though it could have quite easily have been 3.

We were fantastic first half, really should have had 3 or 4. Great run from Swift for the penalty, looked stone wall to me but then we were right at the other end of the ground so will be interesting to see a replay.

At the start of the second half, they seemed to suss out that our right hand side was easy to exploit, with Branco in particular looking very vulnerable and you have to say his positioning for both their goals was awful.

Showed some great character to get back into it, fantastic assist from Toffollo for the first goal, I thought he was excellent all game. Gladwin impressed as well, sometimes his decision making can be a bit poor (he really should have played Bryne in who was free on goal) but a great cross for the equaliser. Swift looks like a good addition, and will certainly be very useful while Luongo and Kasim are away. He seems very comfortable playing in our system and is good on the ball.

Great effort from the town fans, for nearly 700 to travel that distance just after Christmas is very impressive. It's not a bad little ground at Fleetwood either, nice to have a good terrace for the away end as well.

Very happy to be top, and looking forward to Coventry next week.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: Saturday, January 3, 2015, 22:07:23 »

First game of the season - thoughts from the day...

1) Possibly the friendliest away day I have ever had, everyone at the club was dead friendly from the stewards to the bar staff - not a big thing but made a nice change.

2) Byrne was class first half but quiet second, I don't know whether they got smart to him, kicked him out of the game or he was just covering Branco but he drifted away.

3) Equally Toffolo seemed to come into game second half - lots of running and always available for the ball!

4) The lad from Chelsea looked class - could tell he was from a Premier Club if only because he had gloves on!

5) The playing out from the back worries me (mainly because ball playing centre halves are rare at this level and as a former centre half I was definitely not ball playing!) however seems to work well. Apart from the moment when it went wrong in the second half and Wes for some reason seemed to be stood near the corner flag - looked up and the goal was empty but they couldn't get a shot in.

6) In 30+ years attending football it was the first time I have ever seen a referee who genuinely seemed to be timewasting in the second half - ?

7) I assume it was a deliberate decision that the female lino ran the line with no stand behind her all game - and on that topic why the hell do they have a stand that only goes part length of the pitch!

Cool Everyone on buses in Blackpool is proper mad!

Generally a good day out and still cannot decide whether it was 2 points dropped or one gained? However the mate I went with who is a Man Utd supporter was very impressed and wants to go to further northern games this season so we are obviously doing something right.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: Saturday, January 3, 2015, 22:07:51 »

first half you should have been 3-0 up,  second half ,   well we could have won it,   a draw a fair result,   chelsea loanee what a wanker,      dived for the pen and got it,   second time should have been booked,   you played quality football and was appreciated by the home crowd, the best football we have seen this term,   we are a tiny club compared to yourselves but passionate, we respect quality when we see it like today but do not like being cheated,   ie the pen,   fast flowing football, quality, good luck and hope you get promoted, you deserve it.

Great to get a fan from the opposition on here.
Nice Club and decent fans.
Both of your goals were cracking strikes. Agree with you the first half.
Second half we lost our shape and Composure but some credit must go down to you as you exploited our right hand side with a centre half playing right back with our Captain Missing.

O.K. I give in Captain Pugwash music was class Smiley
Please beat City, MK Franchise and Preston for us.
Good luck for the rest of the season. Your rise through the leagues, not many clubs can match that.
hobnob

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: Saturday, January 3, 2015, 22:08:52 »

first half you should have been 3-0 up,  second half ,   well we could have won it,   a draw a fair result,   chelsea loanee what a wanker,      dived for the pen and got it,   second time should have been booked,   you played quality football and was appreciated by the home crowd, the best football we have seen this term,   we are a tiny club compared to yourselves but passionate, we respect quality when we see it like today but do not like being cheated,   ie the pen,   fast flowing football, quality, good luck and hope you get promoted, you deserve it.

Thanks for your input. Sorry about the dive if it was, Jose has taught him well!

Surely we can't have played better than Bristol Shitty who as we all know are VASTLY superior to everyone else in the division?
tonyb

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: Saturday, January 3, 2015, 22:27:23 »

in the first half you played better than any team we have had here, wont mention the names as you wouldnt know them,   full of confidence to a point you may have riled us,   nice fans, quality feedback from local drinking establishments, you lot can come again,   and yes you played marginally better than bristol, happy?,   hope everybody got home safe Clap
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: Saturday, January 3, 2015, 22:32:33 »

in the first half you played better than any team we have had here, wont mention the names as you wouldnt know them,   full of confidence to a point you may have riled us,   nice fans, quality feedback from local drinking establishments, you lot can come again,   and yes you played marginally better than bristol, happy?,   hope everybody got home safe Clap

Top Man Tony.
Any relation to Tom the Cabin Boy.
That bloody music is going to haunt me !!
tonyb

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: Saturday, January 3, 2015, 22:59:18 »

glad you enjoyed the captain pugwash music,   one thing i noted about your side today, when a player gets the ball the nearest two players look for positions this is something we need to learn,   rising through the leagues as we have done doesnt give us time to learn,   we are still raw and need to learn,   but we are enjoying the rollercoaster.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 ... 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: