Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Peterborough United Official Matchday Thread  (Read 33392 times)
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2014, 23:00:27 »

Loaning out a player who doesn't fit the system we currently play so that he can get some game time at a similar level makes perfect sense. The timing sucked but you can't really account for your main striker getting injured the same night.

Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2014, 23:24:26 »

You can account for it.  Especially as everyone is a fantastic manager who knows everything about the world of football from the safety of a keyboard.

Never knowingly overstated.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 06:25:04 »

Maybe money is a bigger issue than many may think.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 07:39:43 »

The sides really chasing promotion are about 20 points better off than us....the beauty of the PO's is it gives a dog's chance, to a clutch of pretty average sides to keep their season going.

indeed.  Playoffs, 3 pts for win, elimination of back pass together with much less violence in and around grounds has transformed football since the 80's.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 10:17:21 »

You can account for it.  Especially as everyone is a fantastic manager who knows everything about the world of football from the safety of a keyboard.

THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 17:58:59 »

Yes..

Clems Army!
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 17:59:21 »

I will meet cooper for a friendly face to face chat anytime he likes....

I told K Mac that we were shit at Donny and it was unacceptable to his face at the Sponsors night....he agreed...blah blah blah.

Clems Army!
adje

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 19:22:13 »

I once told danny wilson that david prutton was a bad signing  after an horrendous performance at MKD. He told me I didnt know what I was talking about and he would score loads of goals. DW 0 me 1 I think

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Empathy Sloth

« Reply #323 on: Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 19:34:30 »

Hereford away 08/09, during the pre match warm up I shout down to Jerel Ifil, 'Jerel' (he looks up), 'you're gonna score today' (he looks at me like I'm crazy). SCORES SCREAMER
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 20:00:21 »

Hereford away 08/09, during the pre match warm up I shout down to Jerel Ifil, 'Jerel' (he looks up), 'you're gonna score today' (he looks at me like I'm crazy). SCORES SCREAMER

Why didn't you do it more often then
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 20:22:00 »

Loaning out a player who doesn't fit the system we currently play so that he can get some game time at a similar level makes perfect sense. The timing sucked but you can't really account for your main striker getting injured the same night.

Thought it was stupid...need as many players as possible at this stage of the season....all this guff about the system...Storey should be getting the match time not loanees....in my opinion.
No disrespect to Murphy by the way.

sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 20:32:56 »

Thought it was stupid...need as many players as possible at this stage of the season....all this guff about the system...Storey should be getting the match time not loanees....in my opinion.
No disrespect to Murphy by the way.

Storey is not the same sort of player as Ranger or Smith and regardless of whether you think it 'guff' or not, we have been playing most of the season with a lone striker and Storey simply cannot function effectively in that role.

As you say, Storey needs the game time and loaning him out will give him that. We can't accumulate players just for the sake of it and with the lack of reserve fixtures it's a struggle to keep them near match fitness anyway and working within a tight budget means we need to get the most out of it.

I don't care if a player is contracted to us or on loan to us personally. I'd rather see an XI of talented loanees than some of the lazy shits who have been collecting their wages for nothing in recent years.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #327 on: Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 20:35:13 »

Storey's wages would be fuck all. The saving on a month's wages of fuck all would be fuck all but could have cost us a trip to Wembley.
Empathy Sloth

« Reply #328 on: Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 20:36:13 »

Why didn't you do it more often then
I'm not a miracle worker, Ifil was a lost cause.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 20:39:21 »

Storey's wages would be fuck all. The saving on a month's wages of fuck all would be fuck all but could have cost us a trip to Wembley.
The wages saved are irrelevant. It was more of a general point about using the budget to incorporate players who suit our style of play and are immediately useful to us rather than simply having a surplus of players just in case. Quality over quantity. Of course, Storey would have been useful subsequent to Ranger's injury but nobody could anticipate that.

I'm not sure whether Storey will be a massive part of our future or whether he'll gradually drift away like a lot of promising youngsters over the years but the fact is that although he would have given us some fresh legs on Monday, he's realistically not going to step in and replace Ranger for the month/rest of the season.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: