Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Cost Of Living  (Read 10689 times)
SwindonTownFC

« Reply #30 on: Monday, December 11, 2006, 18:46:14 »

well i dont do plumbing myself, but employ them, and sub out other work on the jobs like tiling and plastering and make money on those trades aswell
Bartek

« Reply #31 on: Monday, December 11, 2006, 18:46:43 »

Bartek, my 2 bedroom flat was £161,000

Oxford is an expensive area of England to live.

almost 1.000.000 zlotych !!! Jesus !!! For such a money you would have here a house , garden , pool , super car and full of furniture
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Monday, December 11, 2006, 18:47:07 »

Your the pimp basically then!
SwindonTownFC

« Reply #33 on: Monday, December 11, 2006, 18:47:54 »

i advertise and get the work coming in and price them
Bartek

« Reply #34 on: Monday, December 11, 2006, 18:48:01 »

Self-employemnt ? I am thinking about it after graduating Uni...I have few ideas... Cool
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Monday, December 11, 2006, 18:48:57 »

Self-employment is knowing where to start though. I wouldn't have a clue.
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Monday, December 11, 2006, 18:49:27 »

Quote from: "Bartek"

almost 1.000.000 zlotych !!! Jesus !!! For such a money you would have here a house , garden , pool , super car and full of furniture

£161,000 doesn't buy alot here Bartek.

A 5 bedroom house on the same estate as my flat is £520,000.

Yes that's half a million pounds.
SwindonTownFC

« Reply #37 on: Monday, December 11, 2006, 18:50:26 »

Quote from: "sam_stfc"
Self-employment is knowing where to start though. I wouldn't have a clue.

the hardest thing is when u first start and not getting the work, u need money to live off for that time, i was only 20 when i started doing this, 22 in a month, its gone great for me so far
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Monday, December 11, 2006, 18:54:27 »

Quote from: "Ralphy"
Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"

You moving to Scumsville Ralphy.... :shock:

Still Chipping Norton Reg. Just said Oxford cos Bartek wouldn't have heard of Chipping Norton.

That's a relief.....Chipping Norton is a solid sort of place.
SwindonTownFC

« Reply #39 on: Monday, December 11, 2006, 19:01:48 »

Quote from: "sam_stfc"
Fair enough. I'd love to be self-employed but haven't got the balls to take the risk.

its hard not knowing how much ur going to earn, like what i do it can vary from like £400 up to as much as £2500-£3000 per week
genf_stfc

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Monday, December 11, 2006, 19:39:42 »

at least if you are a plumber I suppose there is a chance you can avoid paying some of the 'fuckwit tax' I incurred:

- bought a gas oven, turned down the 30quid fee for someone fitting it from comet, since I thought it would just be a case of screwing the bit of hose on the bayonet fitting and checking there weren't any nasty smells or hissing noise -  only to find that said oven didn't come with any fitting and that B&Q were a bit arsey about selling one to anyone that wasn't CORGI registered ("i left the certificate in the van" wasn't apparently acceptable, not that I knew what I was looking for anyway).  Call in engineer to fit it - 25 quid for part 100 quid to fit it (+VAT).  Oven cost 130 quid on its own...

- everyones boiler will stop working on the coldest saturday within the first few weeks of moving in. 220 quid if you wait till monday to get it fixed to avoid a weekend call out charge.

- plumbed in washing machine myself, which wasn't difficult - apart from the downpipe was completely blocked with rancid shite that then spread all over the kitchen floor after the first spin cycle.  Free to fix, but I would have happily paid someone to spend an hour up to their elbows in it sorting it out.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Monday, December 11, 2006, 19:47:11 »

Sounds like you had a hard tim genf_stfc. I'm trying to budget for all eventualities because you just never know what might crop after after you've bought the house.
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Monday, December 11, 2006, 20:11:07 »

Its about time some of you dossers on here found out about the real world and how much its costs  Wink Think yourself lucky if you are able to live at home with parents, and only worry about spending money on beer and football.

Wakey fucking wakey!

I don't want to worry you Ralphy, but have you also factored in your life insurance, home & contents insurance, gas, electricity, water bills. It all adds up.

I was lucky enough to buy my first home for under 50k 10 years ago. I now have a house valued around 200k (3 bed semi in St Neots, Cambs) which I'm currently letting as I'm working overseas for 3 years.

Its bloody hard to start out, probably more so now, so plan and budget very carefully. I told my parents I wanted to move out, so we agreed that I would live rent-free for two years and save double what I was paying them in rent every month to fund a deposit. Worked a treat for me, although I do regret not moving out sooner in some ways.
magicroundabout
Fanta Pants

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Monday, December 11, 2006, 20:11:48 »

Quote from: "Bartek"
How much for the rent of the flat ?
Quite small for one person...

I'm not renting Bartek, i've bought it.

My mortgage is £430 a month.

how the fuck you got a mortgage for that much on £161k?Huh??

my mortgage on £130k is £650
my mortgage on my 1 bed flat for £60k was £380.

you must have put down one hell of a deposit Ralph

Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Monday, December 11, 2006, 20:17:27 »

He's lying. He only paid £96,000. Low cost housing scheme. There's a thread about it somewhere.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: