Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: It was twenty years ago today...  (Read 14938 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« on: Friday, March 15, 2013, 11:22:59 »

[With apologies to the Beatles.]

I've had this idea for a thread for a while.  The spring & early summer of 1993 was a special time for the club and, between now and the end of May, I thought maybe it might be fun for those of us old enough to relive it - day by day and game by game.

Admittedly, I've chosen a rubbish day to kick this off (despite March 15th being an important anniversary from another year.)  March 15th 1993 was a Monday and we didn't have a game.  However, we had beaten Newcastle at home the previous Saturday - coming from behind at half time with two second half goals - in front of over 17,500 to go third in the table behind Newcastle and West Ham (who would ultimately be the two teams we were promoted along side).  It was our biggest crowd of the season.

[All the following links shamelessly nicked from the excellent resource at www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk.]

Result: Swindon Town vs Newcastle

League Table: 13/03/1993

The hope, of course, is that we have our own promotion push over the next 2½ months to match the progress of the one we had 20 years ago.  Time will tell.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, March 15, 2013, 11:24:54 »

Grimsby were 8th and in with a shout of the play-offs. Look at them now!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, March 15, 2013, 11:35:45 »

Football always looks so less slicker back then than it does now. I'm sure it wasn't, but i think the combination of baggier kits and shitter video quality just makes the whole thing look 'clunkier'.

Things get better but they never get good
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, March 15, 2013, 11:38:08 »

That was on my 12th birthday, woke up and my old fella presented me with to tickets for that afternoon, good memories.

Had no idea that was Andy Cole's debut for the Toon
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, March 15, 2013, 11:40:13 »

Just look how packed it was on the Stratton Bank.  You get a good example from the clip from approx 03:55 to 04:05.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, March 15, 2013, 11:40:20 »

I can't watch the video at work but did Colin Calderwood score the winner in that game? Bundling in and then running behind the goal to celebrate?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, March 15, 2013, 11:43:31 »

He did indeed.  Watching the right hand side of the Bank explode in celebration is a sight to behold.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, March 15, 2013, 11:44:59 »

He did indeed.  Watching the right hand side of the Bank explode in celebration is a sight to behold.

on a par with when we played Tranmere in the play-offs?

nochee

« Reply #8 on: Friday, March 15, 2013, 11:47:08 »

We had a Geordie lodger at our house that year. He very seriously threatened to kick 7 bells of shit out of me after that game when I got home cheering.

guy66

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, March 15, 2013, 12:01:33 »

That was a mental day..I seem to remember they had huge travelling support and one guy even set up a stand flogging Newcastle flags and badges on the grass near to the Shrivenham Road/Stratton Bank corner. I got serious grief on the M6 driving home with my scarf out of the car window..great day and great fun watching Keegan get wound up  Smiley
Baggins

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, March 15, 2013, 12:06:27 »

Best thread in ages.  I look forward to a lot of memories.
sheepshagger
Suburban Capitalist........

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, March 15, 2013, 12:07:51 »

Brilliant watch !

Off down the pub now for the races this afternoon - Oggy (Paul Hunt) is the landlord so will be ribbing him about it all afternoon :-)

Wise men say........
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #12 on: Friday, March 15, 2013, 12:19:06 »

I remember that well, I am on the video quite a bit, not very clear but thats me in the corner, the scruffy steward on the far left next to the steward with the glasses on.

[url width=800 height=450]http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g171/jjedmunds/1-2_zpse9d55de5.jpg[/url]

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
blah blah

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, March 15, 2013, 12:27:30 »

Remember that game well, it was probably the best game Viveash ever played for us. Man of the match that day for sure
Cookie

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, March 15, 2013, 12:33:37 »

The handball by Chalky leading up to our winner was mint. How did he get away with that?

I had a Season Ticket that year, cost me about £60 to watch Hoddle week in week out.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: