Pages: 1 ... 397 398 399 [400] 401 402 403 ... 856   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New beginnings - 25% Truth, 80% Bollocks  (Read 1248390 times)
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #5985 on: Friday, September 8, 2023, 21:10:08 »

Obviously there are no guarantees we’d run through the division. I’ve said as much, I’m not stupid.
I’d still prefer that to treading water forever.

If feels like this club is trying to build something on a beach and every time we get somewhere the tide comes in a takes it away. Rather than trying that again - maybe it’s time to forget the beach and go build on the concrete down the road.

I attend when I can thanks.

Of course you’d still go - what else would you do?

I preferred the unedited version.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #5986 on: Friday, September 8, 2023, 21:26:27 »

Hendon. Scary, very scary.

Boreham Wood for me - worse than Dagenham.
They turned up from everywhere to have a go. Bricks thrown the lot.

Mind you in the replay it wasn’t safe for any B Wood fan as a fair few out for revenge.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #5987 on: Friday, September 8, 2023, 21:31:38 »

Opinions and Arseholes

But fuck me. Why the fuck would I want to go to Sunday league pub league grounds and be in the part time tiers of football? 😭
Some big old sides that have dropped out the league. Couldn’t think of anything worse.

League 2 is fucking shite. But I’d rather carry on rotting in L2 than join the part time leagues way down the tiers, and hope one season we get it right and get into league 1- just look at some of the away games in that league this season/last season. Much more appealing than going to shitholes like Barrow.

Speaks someone that attends the shitholes like Barrow in League Two.
League One would feel like heaven right now with this shit show of League Two.
Some want to start even lower Ffs I just can’t even think of one benefit.

Cowley38

Ignore
« Reply #5988 on: Friday, September 8, 2023, 21:31:43 »

Not about expectations is it. Going to Leamington Spa. That isn’t what I expect. I’d love to drop out and run through the divisions based on a solid foundation to launch the club into the future. Something similar to what Luton have done. What Wrexham are doing.

I mean it’s you - who has lowered his expectation so much a draw against Wrexham is seen as the pinnacle of supporting Swindon on par with losing to Port Vale
Wrexham have only gone up the divisions due to the Hollywood factor and 2 very rich men it's not a fairytale or a solid foundation.......

When they don't go up and stay in L2 for a few seasons the Hollywood actors will lose interest , stop putting the money in and they will be just another run of the mill L2 side, much like Salford are....
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #5989 on: Friday, September 8, 2023, 21:41:13 »

I went to Hendon, Tooting and Dagenham which were depressing🤣

Did you go to the 0-0 at Boreham Wood Jimmy?
That era although you would have been around 11 or 12 😂
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #5990 on: Friday, September 8, 2023, 22:00:10 »

Wrexham have only gone up the divisions due to the Hollywood factor and 2 very rich men it's not a fairytale or a solid foundation.......

When they don't go up and stay in L2 for a few seasons the Hollywood actors will lose interest , stop putting the money in and they will be just another run of the mill L2 side, much like Salford are....

The Hollywood actors have already made way more than they have put in because they're good business men, they will continue to make money because their model is totally different to anything outside of the traditional bigger clubs.  

They have cornered the market for those in the States outside of those wanting to follow the very big clubs.  They have such commercial value in terms of merch sales, docuseries and iFollow subs, I don't care what anybody thinks, they are here to stay, Ryan Reynolds is basically THE biggest actor on the planet, he is no mug, his net worth is absolutely staggering and he can use that to generate huge sponsership deals because the Wrexham brand will continue to be seen world wide.  

It's not a case of throwing money at it with them, like it or not they are now a global brand, Leicester, as a recent PL winner, are probably less well known in the US than Wrexham are now.

They will be in the PL before we are, maybe even before teams like Birmingham and Middlesbrough make it back there. They will spend less money than they bring in if they continue to progress and the rest of the world follows with interest, which they will because sport is very different beyond our shores.

EDIT - Also they were in the same division for about 16 years, they have not risen through any leagues, they have had one promotion, this year, to get where they are now.
« Last Edit: Friday, September 8, 2023, 22:11:09 by Kinky Tom » Logged
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #5991 on: Friday, September 8, 2023, 22:21:15 »

…and it’ll still trump anything we will do in the next 50 years…
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #5992 on: Friday, September 8, 2023, 22:33:37 »

That's kind of my point, they, as a club have hit the jackpot. 

They are now a bigger club in many regards than maybe West Ham are, I guarentee Paul Mullin is much more marketable over seas than Pablo Fornals is and he is a European Club Champion.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #5993 on: Saturday, September 9, 2023, 05:59:34 »

The Hollywood actors have already made way more than they have put in because they're good business men, they will continue to make money because their model is totally different to anything outside of the traditional bigger clubs.  

They have cornered the market for those in the States outside of those wanting to follow the very big clubs.  They have such commercial value in terms of merch sales, docuseries and iFollow subs, I don't care what anybody thinks, they are here to stay, Ryan Reynolds is basically THE biggest actor on the planet, he is no mug, his net worth is absolutely staggering and he can use that to generate huge sponsership deals because the Wrexham brand will continue to be seen world wide.  

It's not a case of throwing money at it with them, like it or not they are now a global brand, Leicester, as a recent PL winner, are probably less well known in the US than Wrexham are now.

They will be in the PL before we are, maybe even before teams like Birmingham and Middlesbrough make it back there. They will spend less money than they bring in if they continue to progress and the rest of the world follows with interest, which they will because sport is very different beyond our shores.

EDIT - Also they were in the same division for about 16 years, they have not risen through any leagues, they have had one promotion, this year, to get where they are now.

Let's not forget they played in the European Cup winners cup 14 times after winning the Welsh cup the last in 95 and even reached the quarter finals in 75/76 so not the fairytale story it's made out to be!

So, give no fucks
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #5994 on: Saturday, September 9, 2023, 06:08:59 »

They are now a bigger club in many regards than maybe West Ham are, I guarentee Paul Mullin is much more marketable over seas than Pablo Fornals is and he is a European Club Champion.

Funnily enough West Ham have a huge global fanbase due to their Iron Maiden connection, particularly in South America.

https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2019/nov/29/run-for-the-balls-west-ham-team-up-with-iron-maiden-for-new-kit

But your overall point is definitely correct. Wrexham have a much bigger US profile now than Wolves, Brighton, Everton even etc.
DMC

« Reply #5995 on: Saturday, September 9, 2023, 06:45:51 »

Let's see how much bigger they are than us etc in 3 years time if they don't get promoted the fans turn and they think they are doing the decent thing by handing the club back to the trust. It's easy to sit back and say it looks great for now 

Their owner is charging 8% on his investment though

This is where i hate the arguement to be honest. They are paying players 6-8k a week in league 2 and don't look like they are in a much better position than us 
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #5996 on: Saturday, September 9, 2023, 07:29:30 »

This is where they will get unstuck. It’s all good and well paying those wages and handing out 2/3 year contracts. But they then move up a level, those players are stuck on their books and don’t want off the gravy train.

They have to move up the levels quickly as just like all reality TV, it only has a small amount of shelf life before the viewers get bored.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #5997 on: Saturday, September 9, 2023, 08:20:20 »

Bit of good news.

Saidou Khan and the rest of The Gambia squad are unharmed although they were in a Marrakesh hotel when the earthquake struck earlier today.
Cowley38

Ignore
« Reply #5998 on: Saturday, September 9, 2023, 09:08:45 »

Guaranteed if Wrexham are not promoted from L2 in the next 2 seasons the actors will be looking fir a way out
Briggany

Ignore
« Reply #5999 on: Saturday, September 9, 2023, 10:39:35 »

Also isn't helped by the fact most Americans can't say Leicester properly so they wouldn't have a clue if someone said it to them  Cheesy
Pages: 1 ... 397 398 399 [400] 401 402 403 ... 856   Go Up
Print
Jump to: