Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 36   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Winter Cricket Thread 2013/14 - The Ashes Down Under  (Read 107775 times)
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Friday, November 22, 2013, 11:21:31 »

I watched up until tea so here goes .....

While the collapse was shocking it can't have been a huge surprise to anyone. England last 4 or 5 first inning abroad have been poor and in recent years on harder and quicker bouncy pitches England have been found wanting badly such as Perth in the last series.

England didn't pass 400 in the series in the summer and don't look like they will any time soon here.

Johnson was far to hot to handle and the job he did on Trott was even more alarming than the job that was done on Clarke by Broad. Trott was always on the move never still trying to flick and nurdle Johnson which was always going to end badly.  Carberry played well on debut and left the ball particularly well but I think during that middle session Aus managed to totally bottle up the runs and England virtually suffocated.

Even an average spinner like Lyon was able to completely bottle England up and take 2 for nothing! 

A saving grace for England could be the fact the next test is in Adelaide and not Perth. I'd be ordering the groundsman to get some grass on that track pronto.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Friday, November 22, 2013, 12:30:12 »

Good post FCB...As I mentioned on my Twitter page, Trott was all over the place and it was poor from England to allow that last over to be bowled before the lunch break...we all knew what was going to happen! I've never seen Trott so fidgety at the crease during an innings for England. I know he shuffles around a bit, but he was busy as soon as Johnson bowled that first ball at him. How many do we think Aus will lead by? I think they'll bat 2 sessions and get England back in sometime in the evening session with a lead of around 500 (224?? for 0 effectively at the minute!)

#VivaKenBarlow!
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Friday, November 22, 2013, 12:42:42 »

I reckon Clarke will look to give England an hour maybe?

If Warner gets in and he can almost to go into one day mode. Cook pushes the field back and with singles available almost at will the scoreboard should tick over easily at around 4+ an over.

The Aussie line up is full of players who score quickly where as a lot of the England players over the last 6 months seem to have slowed down to a complete crawl.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Friday, November 22, 2013, 12:47:17 »

The Aussie line up is full of players who score quickly where as a lot of the England players over the last 6 months seem to have slowed down to a complete crawl.

That's mainly because they haven't got many "test" batsmen so have had to pick half their one day side. We're still better than them, we just have to prove it now. Again!
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Friday, November 22, 2013, 12:54:50 »

That's mainly because they haven't got many "test" batsmen so have had to pick half their one day side. We're still better than them, we just have to prove it now. Again!

While Warner and Smith as examples may not be traditional test batsmen what they do is at least look to rotate strike and keep the scoreboard moving. England were far too passive just allowing Harris and Siddle to block an end and leaving Johnson free to be used is short sharp burst where wicket taking was the name of the game.

Between lunch and tea England didn't score 40 runs I don't think.

At home England could doctor the pitches and make them low and slow to aid the attritional game. In Aus with harder quicker pitches I don't see the same game plan being anywhere near as effective.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Friday, November 22, 2013, 13:05:21 »

While Warner and Smith as examples may not be traditional test batsmen what they do is at least look to rotate strike and keep the scoreboard moving. England were far too passive just allowing Harris and Siddle to block an end and leaving Johnson free to be used is short sharp burst where wicket taking was the name of the game.

Between lunch and tea England didn't score 40 runs I don't think.

At home England could doctor the pitches and make them low and slow to aid the attritional game. In Aus with harder quicker pitches I don't see the same game plan being anywhere near as effective.

I'm not going to argue that we didn't fuck up because we did but one innings doesn't make us a worse batting line up than the Aussies. I was expecting a tough series as both bowling attacks are decent (including Lyon who can do a job without being dynamic). We won in England because our bowlers out performed theirs.

Losing wickets tends to stem the run flow no matter who you are. If we got out playing shots then they would be labelled "daft" by all and sundry.

And oh it's the Aussies who have doctored their pitches to be hard and fast not the other way round. :-)
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Friday, November 22, 2013, 13:19:59 »

I'm not saying the batsmen should try going over the top every other ball.

For example in their short stay Carberry and Cook played well. Didn't hit boundaries but 1's and 2's and got the scoreboard ticking strike rotating and gave the Aus bowlers something different to think about.

It was the hour after lunch where the rot set in. KP was dropped and frustrated at being tied down. Bell and Prior will be disappointed at their dismissals and Roots in the circumstances was a shocker!
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Friday, November 22, 2013, 14:08:02 »

I reckon Clarke will look to give England an hour maybe?

If Warner gets in and he can almost to go into one day mode. Cook pushes the field back and with singles available almost at will the scoreboard should tick over easily at around 4+ an over.

Warner I think is key in how many Australia get. Yes Clarke is classy, but if Warner is still there at lunch on Day 3 I think as you say FCB he'll be in 1 day mode! England almost need to do what Australia did, and better, stem the runs, take the wickets and then assess the batting. Another Brisbane rearguard action will definitely be required, whether lighting strikes twice is another story (although think Macclesfield + FA Cup  Wink - Very optimistic shout from me there!)

#VivaKenBarlow!
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Friday, November 22, 2013, 21:37:48 »

Fell asleep with us about 20/0 and settling in nicely.

Woke up to the words "And Harris runs in, bowls to Tremlett"

Not a great start to the day that.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Friday, November 22, 2013, 23:47:21 »

Not sure what to expect from watching tonight...I've come round to the idea of watching it, but for how long I don't know! Early wickets will mean I stay up longer; if after 30 mins there's nothing I'll go to bed!

#VivaKenBarlow!
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Friday, November 22, 2013, 23:50:01 »

We made 517-1 in the second innings here last time round. I'd take that.

In other news, Test Match Sofa signed off their show last night with this...if this doesn't make you smile you really aren't happy with life!

http://writers.thecricketer.com/MP3/Funeral_March_Scorecard.wav

Rogers out to Broad, WE'RE BACK IN THIS!
« Last Edit: Saturday, November 23, 2013, 00:04:38 by Nemo » Logged
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Saturday, November 23, 2013, 00:34:58 »

Shit gets wickets...Watson out...could we have a chance at getting them out for a low total?!

#VivaKenBarlow!
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #102 on: Saturday, November 23, 2013, 07:09:59 »

The manner of Carberry's wicket says it all really.  Really feel for him.  Doh

Now it's a time for lions, not chihuahuas.  Which will it be? 

Who thinks we'll reach 300+ in this innings?  Cook and Trott aren't filling me with confidence.  That's for sure.
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #103 on: Saturday, November 23, 2013, 07:14:35 »

Fuck off, Trott!
DMR

« Reply #104 on: Saturday, November 23, 2013, 07:30:01 »

#trottsfault
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 36   Go Up
Print
Jump to: