Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The season ahead  (Read 25904 times)
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 12:38:24 »

As ever, I go into the season optimistic. Why? We have a young side who are hopefully hungry to prove a point. We have skill on the wings and pace and throughout the side. We have guile albeit in the young frames of Luongo and L. Thompson. We are missing an out and out goal scorer and a little more experience but we'll have to see what happens over the next couple of weeks. We could do with some more cover but on paper we have what would appear to be a talented and competent first 16.

I don't think things are as bad as they seem.

I'm probably wrong but I'd rather be wrong than miserable all summer.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 13:08:51 »

I'm probably wrong but I'd rather be wrong than miserable all summer.

Like it!

Was just reading Sky's top 125 players in the league and read Carayol's name. Why did we ever let the lad go?

Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 13:13:52 »

Like it!

Was just reading Sky's top 125 players in the league and read Carayol's name. Why did we ever let the lad go?

He's at Middlesboro I believe.

Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 13:15:23 »

He's at Middlesboro I believe.

Yeah got that.

Must say something about how we judged young players in the past for someone to have left and then done better than we have. Who was in charge then? Paul Sturrock?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 13:17:43 »

I think he had attitude issues, rather than a talent thing. I'm not exactly ITK though so may be wrong
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 13:20:18 »

Not sure how I read why as where! I always liked him due to being called Mustapha. What a name for a player. I think we let him go to Franchise way back when.

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #156 on: Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 13:23:33 »

I think he had attitude issues, rather than a talent thing. I'm not exactly ITK though so may be wrong
I believe you are correct, I saw him a few times for the ressies and he looked handy but nothing special just a solid reserve/youth player.

Paul Ince took him to Macc when he took over so he must have seen something that Sturrock didn't.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #157 on: Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 13:28:51 »

I found this pic of him for the reserves at Weymouth back in August 2006.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 13:31:40 »

As far as my expectations go, I expect us to be fairly tight at the back again, set pieces will be a worry to defend against and maybe if we get overrun in the middle against bigger sides then the pressure will probably tell on the defense at some point.

It seems on paper that we should be quite good at ball retention in the middle and that we'll be very quick with a few goals coming from this area.

Main issue is up top, I get the feeling we'll create a good few chances - like last term - but struggle to be clinical enough to take them - like last season.  This may lead to more disappointing 1-0 home defeats from similar teams again.

At this stage I don't really give a monkeys who our manager is going into the season, if Cooper does end up getting the job I'll give him my support - he might surprise everyone.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 15:19:18 »

At this stage I don't really give a monkeys who our manager is going into the season, if Cooper does end up getting the job I'll give him my support - he might surprise everyone.

I agree Re Cooper and like you he will have my full support!

However a vast majority of our supports are Mongs to say the least and a defeat at Posh on Saturday will be more than enough to send most on a twitter war and texting in to the BEEB.

random_five

Downton, Wiltshire

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 15:30:05 »

I agree Re Cooper and like you he will have my full support!

However a vast majority of our supports are Mongs to say the least and a defeat at Posh on Saturday will be more than enough to send most on a twitter war and texting in to the BEEB.

Are you suggesting that anybody who doesn't want Cooper installed as manager is a "Mong"..?
The Great Stan

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 15:33:02 »

Why does it always have to be either/or?

Surely everybody is entitled to their own opinion based upon whatever they wish.

It's a fucking forum
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 15:37:47 »

Are you suggesting that anybody who doesn't want Cooper installed as manager is a "Mong"..?

No. In truth I dont really want Cooper but we have left it so late he is now the best option having seen what exists of a squad through pre season.  As STFC manager even if it may be for an interim period he will have my support.

However most fans are not so cheery and as he wont be the popular choice will get a good salapping at the first sign of a slip.

Someone could put this better than me but hope that makes sense!
random_five

Downton, Wiltshire

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 15:38:49 »

No. In truth I dont really want Cooper but we have left it so late he is now the best option having seen what exists of a squad through pre season.  As STFC manager even if it may be for an interim period he will have my support.

However most fans are not so cheery and as he wont be the popular choice will get a good salapping at the first sign of a slip.

Someone could put this better than me but hope that makes sense!

Fair comment
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 17:34:06 »

I'd be far more confident if we kept Collins, or had an out and out striker. A 4-3-3 system with Williams as the focal point of it will be interesting.

Think Pritchard will prove to be our key player.

I can see enough points picked up at home and a few thrashings on the road and we will end up in midtable. Acceptable? Well it would fall far below the chairman's expectation for the season...
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: