Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 15 Years  (Read 15605 times)
returnofthereds

« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, January 23, 2007, 01:51:49 »

Ive been watching the town now for 20 odd years. Lots to remember. Coming back from 4-1 down to win 4-6 at St. Andrews, winning the 1st leg play off match at Blackburn, Hoddle scoring that goal against Sunderland at home at the start of the season,Andy Mutch making it on to the starting credits of Match of the Day and many many more.But to say where would we like to be in 5 years or so is a tricky one to answer as everyone will probably have a different response.
I would like this season to end with getting the current board out, getting out of debt and getting out of this damn division.Then in 15 years time young wippa snappers can write about  games from the past that haven't even been played yet. Cheesy
mattboyslim

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, January 23, 2007, 08:32:31 »

For me it was 1st Dec 1990, 1-1 with Blackburn, I guess my addiction began in a golden era of the early 1990s.  As for the next 15 years the lower reaches is nice, the way ticket prices have gone League 1 or low in the championship would be brilliant.  Perhaps the biggest disappointment for me is a lack of big cup ties, I didn't start going away until about 98, so missed all the big away matches of the premier league season.  Having loved leeds a couple of years back a decent cup run every few yeas would be great, it seems some lower league sides consistently pull great draws.
quinnismyhero

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, January 23, 2007, 08:44:53 »

My first time was 1976 and I have been a fairly regular attendee since despite living in Yorkshire, London and Scotland at various times.

I agree with Sonic - we are a Lg1/Champ side borderline.  Our best football was played (IMHO) from 1986 to 1993 when we were awesome with three different managers and some of the best players ever to pull on a Town shirt.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, January 23, 2007, 08:54:13 »

For me, we should be a mid table championship side.

The town could easily attract more supporters if we were more successful.

If we had more investment, who knows? You only have to look at where clubs like Reading and Wigan have come from.

Wouldn't want to go through another premier league season like the last one though. I'd rather be beating lower league sides than losing to top flight teams week in, week out...................

It's All Good..............
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, January 23, 2007, 08:58:02 »

Quote from: "mattboyslim"
For me it was 1st Dec 1990, 1-1 with Blackburn, I guess my addiction began in a golden era of the early 1990s.

I beat you by a couple of months...my first game was the 1-0 defeat at home to Bristol City on Sept 2nd 1990.  Junior Bent scored for them, and there was an article in the match programme by Julian Wilson under the heading of something like 'Would you let your Daughter Marry a Bristol City Fan?'

I was a relatively late convert at 17 years old.  I had wasted most of my teenage years at the Link Centre watching ice hockey...a sport supported by people who think Hammond organ music really gets the atmosphere going and that 'Let's go Wildcats, let's go!' is a stirring anthem.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, January 23, 2007, 09:11:27 »

Top half of division 2 (Championship as it is being refered to this week) will do me nicely and is realistic.

Premiership? Meeeeh! If a massive investment comes along maybe we could do a Reading but as Fred and Sonic have suggested, it wouldn't bother me at all if we never made it back there.
mattboyslim

« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, January 23, 2007, 09:15:25 »

Agree does anyone fancy paying £35 a match, all that'll happen is the old fan base will be alienated, and we'll end up with a load of new people moving in for the glory and be no better than the Reading plastics.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, January 23, 2007, 09:20:30 »

no it won't. because the trust will be in charge by then  Cheesy

(touch wood)

Things get better but they never get good
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, January 23, 2007, 09:25:55 »

Quote from: "nuddy"
Despite being part of the Community Council that are opposed to the use of space around the stadium, (no probs with a new stadium on current footprint)  I have spent hours at the CG supporting the Town.  Still remember my first game Xmas 1977, f#ck knows who they were playing, still got prog. somewhere.

Theres one thing for sure, it's far better standing with your mates though, sitting completely ruins the atmosphere.

Used to go to most games when Macari was in charge, one of my cousins Bryan Wade (handsome chap!!!) played at the time.

Sadly have to admit I haven't been to watch a match for a good 5 seasons now. Oops

Nuddy. I'll take you in the TE this Saturday.  I go with Alan Hayward and both of us were involved in the Trusts ground proposals so we could kill two birds with one stone - get you back with the bug (if I can get Alan H going, anyone can get hooked) and butter you up at the same time.  Walk over to the CGH at 1ish to find us-  Alan will be the one wearing a black t-shirt and denim jacket with the grey hair.

Seriously, come along, Alan had Rod Bluh in there a few weeks ago.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, January 23, 2007, 10:43:28 »

November 3, 1990 - for me - but I'd been wanting to go a while before I could - I was living in Germany at the time so my old man was obviously unable to take me!
JOHNNY REEVES

« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, January 23, 2007, 12:39:43 »

my addiction started when i saw us beating arsenal 4-3 in the league cup
then getting robbed at wolves.
NW6Red

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, January 23, 2007, 12:47:15 »

Quote from: "JOHNNY REEVES"
my addiction started when i saw us beating arsenal 4-3 in the league cup

Still my favourite Town game ever, that one - Andy Rowland's winner off his shins in extra-time after we'd been 3-1 up and then pulled back to 3-3 after some brilliance by Liam Brady.

First game for me was in 74-75 - no idea who it was against, but Peter Eastoe probably scored.
JOHNNY REEVES

« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, January 23, 2007, 12:55:26 »

thinking about it i've seen them play in every different named division except the championship.
div4 Sad
div3 :?
div2 :|
div 1 well we didn't get to see a game. :fu:

rem . when it was nearly enjoyable to essee us lose .
league 1 where we went after div1  Sad
league 2 a complete circle in 20 years [ thats why im not a man u or glory follower] Beers now for another circle. Soapy Tit Wank
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, January 23, 2007, 14:13:59 »

I think we are a low-mid table championship side with forrays into the playoffs.

And I think we can easily sustain that.

My first game was 21st Feb 1976 against Peterborough easily remembered as it was on my 10th birthday! although I had been following them since 73 as a young fan but my dad wouldnt let me go until my age reached double figures.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
TalkTalk

« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, January 23, 2007, 14:24:20 »

Quote from: "RobertT"
Alan will be the one wearing a black t-shirt and denim jacket with the grey hair.

My denim jacket isn't hairy

Seriously, come along, Alan had Rod Bluh in there a few weeks ago.

I never touched him! Even I don't resort to that sort of thing to influence people  :?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: