Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Inquest  (Read 51350 times)
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Monday, May 25, 2015, 19:36:51 »

We have to be as close to being sustainable as possible - No risks should be taken on that front. I'm far more sick of court battles and administration threats than I am with League One (which I don't overly dislike).
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Monday, May 25, 2015, 19:46:50 »

Change of tactics and different type of players needed. I think we need 4 or 5 experienced players, Preston had 5 or 6 i think.

We also need more physical players as we looked shit scared yesterday from the off in my opinion and we were just bullied throughout i think.

I agree to point, but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I've mentioned before that I'm a fan of the focus on youth.  It certainly delivers financially.  And it also produces, for a time, exciting flair football.  Where it failed this season is that our team of 'kids' were able to carve out an impressive set of results for 30 games or so but, inevitably really, were not able to sustain that over 46 games.  After the end of January, we ran out of steam - pure & simply.  Out young and enthusiastic squad were knackered come the start of February.  They needed a leader and some steel, but we didn't have either.

So stick with the youth, but buy in some experience as well.  Not enough to destroy the philosophy; but enough to give the side a backbone when it's needed.  We need to tinker with the system, not to throw it away and start again.  A few more Sam Ricketts/Darren Ward types next season to balance the Byrnes, Gladwins and Stephenses will really help.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Monday, May 25, 2015, 19:47:25 »

Sam Morshead
‏@SamMorshead_
If today's phone calls are anything to go by, there's not going to be much sleep for local media from now to next season. #revolvingdoor
That's not transfers, that's Power ringing them all up with threatening phone calls in the middle of the night, he's taking the Adver war to the next level
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Monday, May 25, 2015, 19:49:06 »

So stick with the youth, but buy in some experience as well.  Not enough to destroy the philosophy; but enough to give the side a backbone when it's needed.  We need to tinker with the system, not to throw it away and start again.  A few more Sam Ricketts/Darren Ward types next season to balance the Byrnes, Gladwins and Stephenses will really help.
Hmmm, was saying to someone today, our season started to go wrong when we lost Louis, we lost that bite in midfield, and he's one of our younger players. So yes we need some backbone, but doesn't have to be an older player to provide that. (Although that's usually where you'd look)
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Monday, May 25, 2015, 19:56:40 »

I'm not convinced a lack of experience was our problem, more a lack of depth in the squad especially in defence.

Plenty of times this season our bench was short or included youth players to make up the numbers. Maybe with Wes and Williams likely to go, their salaries being freed up will enable us to increase the size and depth of the squad a bit.

If Cooper does leave, I wonder if we could get a manager on a sort of loan deal from a big club. Plenty of players move in to management / coaching at big clubs, often they'll be put in charge of the reserves / youth teams. Why not come here instead?
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Monday, May 25, 2015, 20:05:26 »

If Cooper leaves, what about Williams?

Never knowingly overstated.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Monday, May 25, 2015, 20:07:51 »

I'm not convinced a lack of experience was our problem, more a lack of depth in the squad especially in defence.

I may have worded my comments poorly.  Agree with you very much.

We hit the wall as a team at the end of January, quite understandably.  I don't think any of our players or the manager should take any flak.  We were set up brilliantly to perform over 30 games, but were never going to manage more than that.

How do we add more depth?  Even more youth is, perhaps, not entirely realistic - hence my earlier call for a few more older heads in there.  I thought that the capture of Ricketts a few months ago was a belated recognition of that.  Still maintain that there is no need to panic and no need to tear up the strategy.
Flashheart

« Reply #157 on: Monday, May 25, 2015, 20:09:13 »

Perhaps he'll take charge?

I can see the meltdown now. The usual suspects would be claiming that we are relegation/conference fodder without considering the possibility that he might be rather good. Many of those claiming certain doom are certainly likely to be those that said the same about Cooper when we gave him the job.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Monday, May 25, 2015, 20:23:28 »

Really? Oh my gosh poor you! I'm glad I only took some cash.
I really hate reading on here about fans fighting each other and being rude and telling people they arnt real fans if they don't sing etc. Big occasions really seem to bring out he worst in some and there really area few knuckle draggers that support town.

We stormed out early! Judge me all you want! We'd left my 4 & a half month old for the first time which was a difficult decision anyway and it just made me cross. As I left I saw a family from my school - their eldest boy is in year 4 and he was absolutely inconsolable about how the game had gone. It really upset me  Crying

Don't be C.
Take it in your stride as will be many more days like it.
However when the good days come and they will do it will mean more, much more.
It's over now and we move on.
Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Monday, May 25, 2015, 20:38:45 »

Guess it only upset me so much as I knew it will be my little boy crying soon?!
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Monday, May 25, 2015, 20:46:21 »

Head Coach I'd hope. When you hear the players talking about coaching, none of them ever mention Cooper.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 06:04:59 »

In short I don't think it was the defeat.....we are Swindon and over the years we have had plenty of that to get used to.

It was the manner of the defeat that makes you feel like shit.

It was poor and made our loss to Milwall look good/close.

Clems Army!
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 06:29:01 »

It was the manner of the defeat that makes you feel like shit.

Agreed. Three modern finals, three different STFC squads, three damp squib performances.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 07:15:07 »

Agree with most of what has been said on here.  It was a far better season than virtually anybody anticipated for which Cooper deserves a lot of credit as does Power.  In particular I agree with the comments that we need a continued period of financial stability.  Spend the money that we made from the play-offs but don't spend money we don't have.  That doesn't mean a lack of ambition as someone suggested; there is nothing ambitious about going bust, especially for a club who has been in administration twice.

Looking forward, I don't understand why the debate has to be whether or not to play 3-5-2 100% of the time.  It works well away from home where you get the space to counter-attack, but not for long at home where good and bad teams quickly learn to sit back and watch us go nowhere.

The one really depressing post was the Div 1 map for next season.

Cricket looking up however, and even the Blue Jays have started winning.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #164 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 07:17:04 »

I have a feeling Cooper will leave/sacked and Williams will take over as Head Coach with maybe an addition of a new assistant manager working under Power as main DoF.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: