Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Doncaster Rovers Official Matchday Thread  (Read 20802 times)
tj2002

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Wednesday, March 2, 2016, 07:32:24 »

Just watched the highlights,  some lovely counter attacking football,  always way more exciting to watch than all that possession based stuff.

Also just watched the Oldham highlights,  they love a long ball,  have a very flappy keeper and their pitch is an absolute disgrace.  Will mean we might have to change our style up a bit,  let's see what Williams does next because his ability to adapt the team to suit the opposition/conditions seems to be working a treat so far.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Wednesday, March 2, 2016, 07:44:27 »

Just a thought, everybody has praised Williams/Ling for turning our season around - anybody got the stats since Nathan T. has been back?  I am sure he has made a big difference since his return - played through the pain barrier tonight!
adje

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Wednesday, March 2, 2016, 08:39:23 »

Well i think we lost on his return but only once since then.may be wrong

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Wednesday, March 2, 2016, 09:20:49 »

It's always been interesting.... good to beat Donny, especially with Darren Ferguson in charge, and a clean sheet to boot  Smiley

How would you now assess this season's comments to the effect that our team / squad is barely of Conference South standard, and that we were set to be all but relegated by Christmas time?
Panda Paws

« Reply #124 on: Wednesday, March 2, 2016, 09:42:58 »

I love Obeasta.

Never say this again.
Panda Paws

« Reply #125 on: Wednesday, March 2, 2016, 09:47:46 »

I know it'll go down as a Doughty assist for the first but really, another assist for Barry. How many is that now?

Also - what in god's name is their keeper doing for the second.

Avoid defeat at Oldham then it's Millwall, Coventry and Wigan - the only tough spell in our run in. Come through that with 6/7 points and I might just afford myself a glance upwards....
« Last Edit: Wednesday, March 2, 2016, 10:02:37 by Panda Paws » Logged
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Wednesday, March 2, 2016, 10:42:51 »

Never say this again.

It's no Ajika I'll give you that.

Woken up in a fine mood. We're getting better all the time while every team above us bar Wigan, Burton and Millwall are seriously starting to crack. Anything is possible!

Win or even draw at Oldham and it's game on heading into  Millwall, Cov and Wigan. Not used to seeing boring mid table finishes at Swindon which is probably why I'm expecting some sort of dramatic end to this season. The quality is dire this year.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Wednesday, March 2, 2016, 10:53:30 »

We could actually end up finishing the season strongly for a change as opposed to recent campaigns where we've tailed off at critical points such as last Easter or conceding our automatic promotion spot under Wilson (or have I imagined that?)
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Wednesday, March 2, 2016, 11:59:27 »

...or conceding our automatic promotion spot under Wilson (or have I imagined that?)

We did. The loss to Millwall in the last few games was the nail in the coffin which led to them beating us in the PO final.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Wednesday, March 2, 2016, 12:01:15 »

Well done for making Kasim a midfield footnote. He'll appreciate that.
Out injured for the foreseeable future and completely uninterested this year when he has played. The Midfield has looked much better of late than at any time with him in it this season.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Wednesday, March 2, 2016, 12:15:32 »

How would you now assess this season's comments to the effect that our team / squad is barely of Conference South standard, and that we were set to be all but relegated by Christmas time?

If you made them, then a bit wide of the mark.

If you're implying I made them, then you're mistaken. Think you'll find early on that I said the alarm bells were ringing for a relegation scrap, after a 1/3 of the season gone and 13 points from 16 games we were well and truly in that scrap. Think you'll find I also said that such was the hole we'd dug, that it would need PO form to dig ourselves out....happily we've managed that.

As for the squad, obviously the plan for the season, was to get something out of the 2 Liverpool lads, that Stewart has been given a long term contract at the Scousers, and Williams was called into the Wales squad bound for the Euros suggests they must have something about them.

Unfortunately, as Cooper acknowedged at the time, this meant we were having to bring in the likes of BOO, Barry, Brophy, Balmy etc a bit too early and for too many games, and it showed in the results, with a historically bad sequence of home defeats, which cost Cooper his job. That the likes of Ojamma and Bangoura were off loaded pretty sharpish suggests te management didn't see much in them either.

Think you'll find I also predicted that Lingy wouldn't last past January, and that Power might take a more hands on role, with Willams and Embleton in a day to day holding capacity, with a review at season's end.

Can't get them all right, but I believe the management duo are only in place until the summer. Williams rightly stated on taking over his aim was to keep us up, so he has just about done that, now we enter into somewhat different territory. As I said in the earlier post it's been an interesting season so far and promises to continue in that way.
Chrystovski

« Reply #131 on: Wednesday, March 2, 2016, 12:18:15 »

I was thoroughly impressed with the performance last night, LW seemed to alter the style so we were more direct and broke with pace. I enjoy watching it compared to the usually tippy tappy stuff.

JSW - I thought he was excellent, composed on the ball and snuffed out a couple of dangerous attacks. The defence looks much more stable with him instead of Branco.

N.Thompson - Same as above, solid and good on the ball.

Obika - Class, he deserved his goals for all of his unselfish work over the past month or so.

Iandolo - Very impressive, composed on the ball and had a trick or two up his sleeve. Early days but we could have a player on our hands, the chipped through ball to Ajose was class.

Our recent form and style of play reminded me of the Cooper team in the first few months of his tenure, it's been much more enjoyable to watch.  LW & the players deserve a lot of credit for their recent good form.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, March 2, 2016, 14:06:26 by Chrystovski » Logged
Benzel

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #132 on: Wednesday, March 2, 2016, 13:04:08 »

Love listening to LW talk.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Wednesday, March 2, 2016, 13:29:11 »

I was thoroughly impressed with the performance last night, LW seemed to alter the style last night so we were more direct and broke with pace. I enjoy watching it compared to the usually tippy tappy stuff.

JSW - I thought he was excellent, composed on the ball and snuffed out a couple of dangerous attacks. The defence looks much more stable with him instead of Branco.

N.Thompson - Same as above, solid and good on the ball.

Obika - Class, he deserved his goals for all of his unselfish work over the past month or so.

Iandolo - Very impressive, composed on the ball and had a trick or two up his sleeve. Early days but we could have a player on our hands, the chipped ball to Ajose was class.

Our recent form and style of play reminded me of the Cooper team in the first few months of his tenure, it's been much more enjoyable to watch.  LW & the players deserve a lot of credit for their recent good form.

Great post, can't disagree with any of it. Especially about Beaks. I said before the game it's about time he started scoring cos he deserves it, and because Ajose keeps drawing attention to himself Wink (too late on that one, I know.)

Interesting people said NT playing through his injury would be to our detriment. I know it was at Wembley, but he was great last night. The man's made of steel.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Benzel

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #134 on: Thursday, March 3, 2016, 08:04:31 »

Loved the way Turnbull, BOO and Traore passed their way out of Donny's pressure in the first half. Everyone around me was having a fit.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: