Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Formation  (Read 6451 times)
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Sunday, March 31, 2013, 10:20:20 »

As some one once said (Gladstone maybe), there are lies, damned lies and statistics. I know what I saw with my own eyes, namely, we looked a different team (that is to say better) when we went to 4-4-2.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Sunday, March 31, 2013, 10:21:20 »

Yeah, we still made enough good chances 4-5-1 to be out of sight. Roberts' open goal, williams missed a couple

Things get better but they never get good
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Sunday, March 31, 2013, 10:21:54 »

Ah 4-4-2, so frightfully British. Don't panic guys, we'll score again.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Sunday, March 31, 2013, 10:49:45 »

Yeah, we still made enough good chances 4-5-1 to be out of sight. Roberts' open goal, williams missed a couple
indeed we did. We looked threatening for the first 20 mins. And the entire 90 at Coventry playing 4 5 1. It's not a disaster, if that's the impression some are picking up.

But for our last 2 home games we looked better with 4 4 2. But we only switch after 60 minutes.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Sunday, March 31, 2013, 11:39:01 »

I'm not a fan of 451, never have been and think strike partnerships are always more effective than a lone man upfront.

Say what you like about Billy Paynter but he wouldnt have been that much use to us upfront on his own - however, stick him in a partnership with a Simon Cox or a Charlie Austin and you get more out of Paynter and his partnership.

Having said that, despite playing 451 and playing Ferry out of position we are creating chance - which counts for next to nothing really.

How many chances did Oldham create? they still scored the same amount as us. If we played 6-4-0 created two chances and scored them both we would have won.

So I dont think the formation is the main issue but id argue a strike partnership is more effective and  you'd have more people in the box to hopefully finish off those chances (or miss them....)
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Sunday, March 31, 2013, 15:05:51 »

The flip side of creating more chances when we went to 4-4-2, is that it was just after that that Oldham created (and finished) one of their few chances.

It was interesting to watch MOTD last night, and take note of the formations for the teams on those games. Most of them played with the 4-5-1 (or 4-3-3 when you have the ball).

For what it's worth, I think that Williams would be better suited to be one of the wide players in a 4-5-1, rather than the focal point of the attack. He is better running in behind, which doesn't give the midfield as much time to join in with the attack.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Sunday, March 31, 2013, 15:37:01 »

The flip side of creating more chances when we went to 4-4-2, is that it was just after that that Oldham created (and finished) one of their few chances.

It was interesting to watch MOTD last night, and take note of the formations for the teams on those games. Most of them played with the 4-5-1 (or 4-3-3 when you have the ball).

For what it's worth, I think that Williams would be better suited to be one of the wide players in a 4-5-1, rather than the focal point of the attack. He is better running in behind, which doesn't give the midfield as much time to join in with the attack.
Your last point is spot on. Willo doesn't win enough in the air or hold the ball well enough to be considered the lone front man. We also lose the best aspect of his game playing him that far up top which is getting him playing on the shoulder of the centre half, turning and basically using his pace to commit the CB to a challenge. Willo and Roberts playing either side of Collins or Rooney with Nav, Parrett & Ferry as a 3 man centre mid would be my starting side tomorrow. Along with Wes & the usual back four of course!!!! Cheesy

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: