Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: MK Franchise Match - A plea from Wise Men Say  (Read 12128 times)
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, August 27, 2010, 11:49:14 »

From Martin Samuel's column this week. Sums my thoughts perfectly :

The most wonderful sight of the weekend was AFC Wimbledon, second in the Conference, level on points with leaders Luton Town. It is early days, but there are genuine hopes of promotion to the Football League.

AFC Wimbledon first entered the Isthmian League First Division in season 2002-03, and were they to come up it would expose the falsehood at the heart of Franchise, the club formed from the theft of the old Wimbledon.

At the time, Pete Wankelman , owner of MK Franchise, said he could not possibly have invested in the existing team in his locality, Milton Keynes City, because the journey to the Football League would take too long.

As a result the standard bearers for football in the city since 1974 folded in July 2003, victims of Wankelman's demand for instant promotion and recognition. They were his collateral damage, their passing almost unrecognised.

It is painful that Milton Keynes and its zombie football club are now considered appropriate hosts for World Cup football in 2018 and, if there is any justice, by then AFC Wimbledon will have a higher league status.

There is no reason why Wankelman could not have waited for his reward rather than grabbing it. Every true fan would welcome the return of the real Wimbledon next season.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1305833/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Why-Spurs-loath-fund-Harry-Redknapps-grand-designs.html#ixzz0xo2KmrTL

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, August 27, 2010, 13:07:38 »

Unfortunately history cannot be changed and the 'real Wimbledon' are Milton Keynes

I come from a land down-under
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, August 27, 2010, 13:10:09 »

Unfortunately history cannot be changed and the 'real Wimbledon' are Milton Keynes
nope! you're massively wrong.
sorry

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, August 27, 2010, 13:10:59 »

Wimbledons history is part of what Milton Keynes are now

I come from a land down-under
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #19 on: Friday, August 27, 2010, 13:12:02 »

MK Dongs will never be the real Wimbledon.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, August 27, 2010, 13:12:26 »

Bullshit.
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, August 27, 2010, 13:14:01 »

I completely disagree with that statement.  The real Wimbledon are 'AFC Wimbledon' and I really hoppe they regain their place in the Football League soon.

It would be interesting to know how many supporters of Wimbledon now follow Franchise as opposed to AFC Wimbledon.  My guess is that 99% of their supporters are from Milton Keynes.  I could be wrong though, anyone know?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #22 on: Friday, August 27, 2010, 13:15:14 »

I think you will find yourself a lonely voice on that one.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, August 27, 2010, 13:16:00 »

[url width=300 height=225]http://mikeinside.modthesims2.com/thumbs/other/debates/DontFeedTheTroll.jpg[/url]
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, August 27, 2010, 13:36:00 »

Wimbledons history is part of what Milton Keynes are now

Wrong. Franchise gave that up to AFC a few years ago, including all the cups that were won by the old Wombles.

http://www.wisa.org.uk/cgi/l/articles/index.cgi?action=show&id=571
« Last Edit: Friday, August 27, 2010, 13:40:42 by Summerof69 » Logged

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, August 27, 2010, 14:06:39 »

Thank you Batch that was precisely what I meant. As I've said elsewhere, would never criticise any Town fan for going to support the team - it is as hertha says a matter of personal conscience with no "right" answer

Agree it's the ultimate dilemma of principles; do you go and support your team thus basically supporting financially a team that is anathema for everything that football stands for, or boycott thus betraying the principle of supporting your team whatever.

It's a dilemma I can't get my head round - I wouldn't blame anyone for going or not on principle

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Barry Scott

« Reply #26 on: Friday, August 27, 2010, 15:12:44 »

It would be interesting to know how many supporters of Wimbledon now follow Franchise as opposed to AFC Wimbledon.  My guess is that 99% of their supporters are from Milton Keynes.  I could be wrong though, anyone know?

You'll unfortunately be hard pushed to find accurate stats on this, beyond postcodes, as like any "true" Man U supporter, they say they've always supported them. Like you hint at, I believe 99% of Wimbledon's fans were in fact travelling every week from MK to South East London. They were supporters of Wimbledon long before they became a customer of Franchise.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Friday, August 27, 2010, 17:00:03 »

I don't think he was saying otherwise, just that WMS should reflect both viewpoints.

I know Paul wasn't having a dig. It just goes to show though, that even though I'll be going, there's part of me that thinks I shouldn't; hence my over-reaction!

It's All Good..............
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Friday, August 27, 2010, 17:22:24 »

Met a bloke in a bar in corfu with Plastic shirt on (late 40's)

He came from MK........I asked him what shirt he wore 10 years ago...

Reply....A shrug...

At least with an Oxford fan i could of had a constructive slanging match.

Clems Army!

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Friday, August 27, 2010, 17:23:51 »

i think fans can do without 1 away game out of principle.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: