Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Yaser Kasim  (Read 49739 times)
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #180 on: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 15:33:15 »

...and then there were those two occasions in the second half at Wolverhampton where he made last ditch tackles and came away with the ball both times.
« Last Edit: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 15:34:47 by Sir Pissalot » Logged
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 15:34:35 »

I didn't think Fernando Torres played for Bristol City?

Kasim does need to work on the defensive element of his game.

Seriously? Because Torres and Emmanuel Thomas managed to get past him?

I think the number of times he's won the ball from the opposition must be higher than anyone else on the team, bar maybe Nathan Thompson. His tackle success rate, without looking at any official statistics, must be at least 90%. Granted, he has himself been tackled, but only Swindon fans would moan about the most complete midfield player we've had for...well, fuck knows how long, because on the odd occasion he got turned by players well above League One quality.

For a start, he must have won the ball from Essien on several occasions. At Wolves away, any Wolves player that got anywhere near him lost the ball to him. And these are just two games. Let's not forget how much the game changed when he came on at Peterborough, suddenly we won all the battles in midfield. It's not a coincidence.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 15:44:16 »

...and then there were those two occasions in the second half at Wolverhampton where he made last ditch tackles and came away with the ball both times.

And the saving block at Franchise.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 15:45:19 »

The way we play he is crucial to the style but if he get's injured we have no one to play that type of role so let's hope he dosen't as that would then challenge us
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 15:46:07 »

The way we play he is crucial to the style but if he get's injured we have no one to play that type of role so let's hope he dosen't as that would then challenge us

Navarro is probably the only replacement, but as he's made of lego I doubt we'll be seeing him on the football field again.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 15:48:12 »

Could the young Thompson grow into that player?

..never go back.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 15:50:07 »

Could the young Thompson grow into that player?

I think Louis Thompson can be a very good footballer personally.

random_five

Downton, Wiltshire

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 16:02:41 »

I think the number of times he's won the ball from the opposition must be higher than anyone else on the team, bar maybe Nathan Thompson. His tackle success rate, without looking at any official statistics, must be at least 90%. Granted, he has himself been tackled, but only Swindon fans would moan about the most complete midfield player we've had for...well, fuck knows how long, because on the odd occasion he got turned by players well above League One quality.

For a start, he must have won the ball from Essien on several occasions. At Wolves away, any Wolves player that got anywhere near him lost the ball to him. And these are just two games. Let's not forget how much the game changed when he came on at Peterborough, suddenly we won all the battles in midfield. It's not a coincidence.

Calm down, I didn't moan.
I simply commented on postings by somebody else who cited those 2 examples.

Kasim may well be an excellent player but he is stronger when we have the ball. Our defence is poor this season, 2 clean sheets out of 8 in the league is it? And even they were at home to Crewe and Stevenage.

The midfield has to take some of the blame for this, including Kasim.. You can't blame Gareth Hall for everything.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 16:06:49 »

Gareth Hall? Have we gone back to 1998?
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 16:44:56 »

Called up by Iraq for game against Saudi Arabia on 15th October
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 16:51:55 »

Called up by Iraq for game against Saudi Arabia on 15th October

Yeah saw that posted earlier on page 12

Confirmed: Yaser Kasim will be there in the next qualification match of Iraq against Saudi Arabia. Official invitations will be sent to the clubs of the players outside Iraq (Swindon Town FC- English league one, Columbus Crew- MLS, Orebro SK, Swedish Superettan, Al-Hilal- Saudi league)

Just confirmed by Sam on twatter

So I guess he will miss the Rotherham game ?

Empathy Sloth

« Reply #191 on: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 17:34:53 »

No, you may be onto something there. Iconic players get nicknames: Fridge, Chief, Animal... Steam? Has a certain ring.
Steam Kasim, I like it.
« Last Edit: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 17:36:29 by Empathy Sloth » Logged
Munichred

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 18:44:44 »

Nobody who's seen Kasim play this year would have failed to have been impressed. It was great watching him and Luongo make Essien and others look second rate, chasing shadows. They (K & L) didn't seem to get tackled very much, either because they had enough time to receive the ball and make a pass, or because they had the skill go past Essien etc. with the ball.   
As you say, Kasim wins a lot of tackles and comes away with the ball, staying on his feet. The risk is, if a midfielder misses his tackle in the last third of the pitch and he's not goal-side, he can be left with someone racing away with the ball, as happened with Torres and JET. It's not every week we'll be facing that sort of player. Winning the ball is a big part of Kasim's game, but there are times when it's okay to just jockey.  As other have mentioned, he reads the game well and can make goal-saving tackles too. I've seen a lot of Town mid-fielders over the last 50+ years, and I certainly think Kasim can be up there with Kamara, McHale, Butler, McLoughlin etc. Maybe he'll be better?

Not a moan, just my observations on the limited Town games I've seen this season (Sky and ST Player highlights). I'm looking forward to seeing a couple of matches in the flesh over Christmas!

OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 18:50:58 »

Calm down, I didn't moan.
I simply commented on postings by somebody else who cited those 2 examples.

Kasim may well be an excellent player but he is stronger when we have the ball. Our defence is poor this season, 2 clean sheets out of 8 in the league is it? And even they were at home to Crewe and Stevenage.

The midfield has to take some of the blame for this, including Kasim.. You can't blame Gareth Hall for everything.
Ironically enough, when Grant (nearly called him Gareth as well - memories if 99/00...shudder....)Hall misses a tackle, the chances are that it will be Kasim who is there covering and tidying up. I actually think he's excellent defensively.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 18:53:21 »

Steam Kasim, I like it.

Steam Kasim, the midfield machine.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: