Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Oxford.....  (Read 48466 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2017, 12:47:29 »

The 1st fixture that most Town fans look for when they are released is the Pox home and away, then any other locals like Rovers or Shitty and then any that are local to them if they don't live in and around Swindon so for me its Yeovil and Exeter.

It really is the biggest game for most Town fans, when I was growing up in the 70s and 80s it seemed Shitty, Rovers and Reading were bigger but that was partly because the Pox were in a higher league so we didn't play them as often but deny it all you want this IS the biggest fixture for almost all Town fans.

I was working out the other day that I have attended in person 19 games between us home and away between the years of 1979 - 2000 and never once did I see the Pox beat us.

9 home wins, 4 home draws, 5 away wins and 1 away draw.

The first fixture I look for is Boxing Day, to see what god foresaken place we have to go to next, in the vague hope it might be decent. Oxford game, not really bothered it'll be moved to a Sunday lunchtime....which isn't the time for a football game in my opinion. Then any early coastal trips...and then sometimes you get a decent name in Div 3 blown off course, like an exotic bird. Recently we've had Leeds, Forest, Soton, Norwich that sort of thing.
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2017, 12:54:53 »

I'm in the 'oxford doesn't matter" category, I don't look for their games and definitely don't get excited, it's just another game except a few idiots decide it's time to fight with each other because of the team they support, so the old bill are out in force and end up ruining the game for the majority.

I went to the Bristol & Bath / Gloucester games in the rugby (get free tickets) and never had any issues, police presence was 4 coppers after the game directing traffic out of the area. Both sets of fans sat together and not one piece of disorder that I can remember.

Because of the idiots, I try not to go to rival games, went to the city game last time they were down here but that's probably my last for a long time.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2017, 12:57:08 »

I'm in the 'oxford doesn't matter" category, I don't look for their games and definitely don't get excited, it's just another game except a few idiots decide it's time to fight with each other because of the team they support, so the old bill are out in force and end up ruining the game for the majority.

I went to the Bristol & Bath / Gloucester games in the rugby (get free tickets) and never had any issues, police presence was 4 coppers after the game directing traffic out of the area. Both sets of fans sat together and not one piece of disorder that I can remember.

Because of the idiots, I try not to go to rival games, went to the city game last time they were down here but that's probably my last for a long time.

Very interesting that, personally this matters so much more than most other games.
I can understand feeling unsafe before or after game though.
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2017, 13:06:04 »

Believe me, I don't buy in to the fuckwittery that comes with rivalry games.

I don't 'hate' Oxford, I have friends that are Oxford fans.. but when the two teams play, I want my team to play their hearts out.

I hate that people act like such cunts that they have to be separated.

Roaming the land while you sleep..
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2017, 13:10:11 »

Does anyone happen to know whether Sports Mania would have a stream for this game at all?

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2017, 13:13:09 »

Believe me, I don't buy in to the fuckwittery that comes with rivalry games.

I don't 'hate' Oxford, I have friends that are Oxford fans.. but when the two teams play, I want my team to play their hearts out.

I hate that people act like such cunts that they have to be separated.
I hate the fuckers - the club, the fans, the place.

Those years of them struggling to get out the Conference sustain me during our present period of utter shitness.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2017, 13:13:45 »

Interesting to read this, I remember the days when we used to laugh at them thinking we were rivals and mock them for their obsession regarding games against us, just goes to show how things change in football.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #112 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2017, 13:16:13 »

A local rivalry has nothing whatsoever to do with football violence.

Its to do with local bragging rights at work or with mates etc but it is an added edge, always has done always will, thats how it is.

People that use football as an excuse to cause trouble because it is a derby are just ill educated thug cunts, plain and simple.

Wierdly the Pox fans seem to relish more in the violence side of things (if you read their forums it is full of hatred and possible acts of violence) than the Swindon fans, although I know we now have a small amount of twats go just to cause shit it seems a lot less than they have.

There is just no place in society let alone football for that behaviour.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #113 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2017, 13:17:32 »

Does anyone happen to know whether Sports Mania would have a stream for this game at all?
Highly unlikely as the game isn't being shown live anywhere, they usually only stream matches when they are being shown live on TV somewhere in the world which ours isn't.

Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2017, 13:17:53 »

Maybe it's my age but I have to say the animosity that these kind of games generate make them so much more enjoyable. (Especially when you win, which we always used to do against this lot)

It's the same with any team that bring a big away following, the atmosphere generally is so much better than when there's 56 from Fleetwood
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2017, 13:19:14 »

A local rivalry has nothing whatsoever to do with football violence.

Its to do with local bragging rights at work or with mates etc but it is an added edge, always has done always will, thats how it is.

People that use football as an excuse to cause trouble because it is a derby are just ill educated thug cunts, plain and simple.

Wierdly the Pox fans seem to relish more in the violence side of things (if you read their forums it is full of hatred and possible acts of violence) than the Swindon fans, although I know we now have a small amount of twats go just to cause shit it seems a lot less than they have.

There is just no place in society let alone football for that behaviour.

Couldn't agree more JJ.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2017, 13:19:47 »

'Just take my advice
There's nothing so nice
As kicking the fuck out of Oxford'
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2017, 13:33:47 »

Maybe it's my age but I have to say the animosity that these kind of games generate make them so much more enjoyable. (Especially when you win, which we always used to do against this lot)

It's the same with any team that bring a big away following, the atmosphere generally is so much better than when there's 56 from Fleetwood

Not just you, I love the hate filled atmosphere and the (rapidly fading) victory of doing them on the pitch. Not the violence though, never that.

Mrs Batch has only been to two, she hated it and said it was poisonous.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #118 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2017, 13:36:49 »

Not just you, I love the hate filled atmosphere and the (rapidly fading) victory of doing them on the pitch. Not the violence though, never that.

Mrs Batch has only been to two, she hated it and said it was poisonous.
I love the ill feeling between fans, it gives it something extra.

I have no problem with the vocal threats of Pox fans, I am old enough, ugly enough and big enough to sort myself out thank you but the mindless violence especially to kids and women is needless.

DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2017, 13:38:30 »

I love the ill feeling between fans, it gives it something extra.

I have no problem with the vocal threats of Pox fans, I am old enough, ugly enough and big enough to sort myself out thank you but the mindless violence especially to kids and women is needless.

Definitely this.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: