Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Plymouth Argyle Official Matchday Thread  (Read 29672 times)
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Tuesday, October 8, 2013, 22:16:29 »

bullied in the air

Doh brilliant. The fella pretty much won every header he went for and was totally dominant in the air.  Looked unsure with the ball at his feet 1st half and generally looked nervous.  Grew into the game 2nd had and was much more solid

As for the others making their 1st start.

Belford. Couldn't do anything about the goal, couple of routine saves, one clearance charged down that could have been a disaster but that's the risk we run with keepers having to use their feet so much.

Bartham. Looked the perfect fit for attacking aspect of the wingback role he was asked to perform, bombed forward at every opportunity. It did sometimes leave the defence a little exposed though.

EL Gabbas, the MOM. Not sure about that but he wasn't lacking for effort and enthuasim, unlucky with he effort off the post but had a few other opportunites but finished pretty poorly.

The ball from Hall to Bathram for his goal made me ejaculate it was so sexy.

BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Tuesday, October 8, 2013, 22:25:49 »

Is he pissed off or something? He sounded a bit defensive and unwilling to talk, but as far as I know the fans aren't on his back or criticising him - it would be more understandable if they were.

He wasn't like this at the start of the season so Huh?

I'd be pissed off too having to answer those inane questions every week.

Pretty much agree with what's been said on the performance. Hall very impressive tonight. Probably his best game for us.

Good turnout from the Plymouth fans. Better than most League 1 teams for noise and effort. Our fans were as expected.

Perhaps those who feel the desire to shout 'forward' incessantly throughout the game should try following another sport, like horse or motor-racing, in which their unrelenting lust for perpetual forward motion can be sufficiently satisfied on a more consistent basis.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Tuesday, October 8, 2013, 22:35:58 »

I'd be pissed off too having to answer those inane questions every week.

Pretty much agree with what's been said on the performance. Hall very impressive tonight. Probably his best game for us.

Good turnout from the Plymouth fans. Better than most League 1 teams for noise and effort. Our fans were as expected.

Perhaps those who feel the desire to shout 'forward' incessantly throughout the game should try following another sport, like horse or motor-racing, in which their unrelenting lust for perpetual forward motion can be sufficiently satisfied on a more consistent basis.

Pissed off or not...it's part of the job...talking to the press.

Either that or man a two hour phone in from the paying public after each game.....soon be pissed off then.

Clems Army!
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Tuesday, October 8, 2013, 23:43:27 »

Just got back in, so this will come out as I remember (i.e. not in any sort of order)

For periods we were great to watch, if a little insistent on the sideways pass, but the whole performance was tidy enough and happy to come away with the expected win, though it could have been by a 3 or 4-goal margin instead, easily. Their defence was typical L2 'big blokes with clumsy legs' and they had the rub of the green with a lot of their ricochets and blocks. Their numbers 8-9 looked lively and were a bit of their handful, but their number 2 has to be whiniest little bitch I've seen in a while, surprised he didn't sit down and hold his breath by the end of the 2nd half. They did well in hassling us though, and have to give them some credit for making it a little squeaky bum at the end.

Chang, my opinion of you as a complete and utter fuckwit has been proven by your assertion of Branco as shit after one debut game. Well done. He's good in the air, but his feet let him down a little, especially when doing stuff he obviously wasn't used to- playing as one of a back three, being expected to push up the pitch and help attack (which he wasn't too bad at), and then getting back into position and chasing down quick, strong wingers (which he was quite bad at). Solid (ish) centre back mind, particularly now the first game jitters will be out of the way, and it'll be nice to have his head to bounce stuff off if, heaven forbid, Ward gets injured.

Louis has come on a lot as a footballer since I saw him last. First half he was edging the best player on the pitch for me- second half he obviously put somebody else's boots on, was a little bit poor (I'm thinking about you, Aden Flint-esque backpass...), and got subbed at about the right time. I forgot Cox was on for a lot of his half hour as Louis' replacement, quite anonymous, but he didn't do anything wrong either, and it's good to see him back in the team after such a long layoff. Nice round of applause from the away fans as he took the pitch too.

Barthram and Hall really impressed- shame the first got stretchered off, but it sounds like it's not overly serious from what Cooper said post match.

Cooper's post match- I think he's very aware people are trying to draw him out on certain issues- When asked if it was 'nice' Lee Cox was back in the side, he replied, 'Nice? What does that mean?', and I can see where he is coming from- it makes it sound like Cox and the management had a fall out and have only just patched things up. Stirry stirry media etc. That's probably why he comes across pissed off. He's quite a terse, short-phrases, type of person anyway from the sounds of things- quite quick mind, I have felt the interviewer go 'oh shit' a couple of times now (when he asked Cooper on Saturday if Yaser was playing for Iraq and Cooper obviously turned and shouted into the dressing room 'YASER! YOU PLAYING FOR IRAQ ON FRIDAY?', which made me laugh, and the 'what does nice mean' comment today).

I forgot how stupid/fickle some fans are until the booing of Louis Thompson at the start of the 2nd half for not being able to put a ball in with his wrong foot and not being given a chance to move onto his right one. Oh, and the moronic cries of 'SHOOOT' as well. I know what they mean, but constantly shouting that a team of young players is not going to motivate them.

The fucking screen in the corner of the Stratton/Arkells was too bright the entire match, but at least they sorted out those bloody advertising hoardings still stuck on daytime brightness. Ta Jed. Hopefully my retinas won't be too burnt in the morning.

Prtichard blew a little hot and cold- he's bloody great with the ball at his feet but (and I hate myself for saying this), I can see why being too small is a problem (he is VERY small...). He was out-muscled and out-jumped a lot of the time a ball came to him or he ran at their half, and, unless he had full control of the ball and a yard or so, it was difficult for him to tricksy his way out of trouble.

N'Guessan disappointed a little, hanging offside when he played centrally (he ain't half a dirty fucker either- shirt pulls and shoves aplenty, you can tell he used to play for millwall), but I saw him cornered by Phil on the way to the dressing rooms before the match, so I'll put it down to that. Ranger got to stretch his legs for five minutes, held up the ball a tad and that's all you can really say.

Oh! El Gabas! I kind of lost him amongst all the new faces for me tonight, but for his striking the post in the first half and helping to set up Ajose's winner. I did feel like the way we tap the ball around was restrictive to him though- plenty of times I saw him poised, just onside, for someone to slot the pass into the box for him to meet, but it stopped or went backwards. The rest of the team were obviously used to playing with N'Guessan or Ranger holding up play, instead of looking for the pass and run of a nippy striker.

This has turned into an essay, so I'm going to bed.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #124 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2013, 08:07:13 »

One very nice quote from the muff forum Pasoti....

Swindon were very good. They were pacey, patient and sharp. Their movement was like Arsenal's with loads of options in possession. They would be a pleasure to watch every week. They could easily have scored five or six. They missed an easy chance 30 seconds after our goal, and hot the woodwork twice when well placed to score.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #125 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2013, 08:26:27 »

Is he pissed off or something? He sounded a bit defensive and unwilling to talk, but as far as I know the fans aren't on his back or criticising him - it would be more understandable if they were.

He wasn't like this at the start of the season so Huh?
I agree with SY that maybe he is just a bit fed up with the "get it forward" screams from the crowd and it has got to him a bit, being a manager is not easy.

Maybe Luke Williams told him prior to going out that he will leave us and go to Sunderland so he needs to bring in a new assistant? its all conjecture, but the way Jed was speaking pre game Sunderland HAVE made Luke and offer and the ball is in his court now so that wouldn't surprise me.

El Gabas. Erm, this is a failing on my part but I can't really remember making a mental note of him doing anything, good or bad. Ajose looked the more threatening.
Didn't Gabby hit the post? I don't know for certain as I was listening on T'Radio but I think thats what he said when he was interviewed after coming off the pitch at the end, said he was very happy with his own contribution to the match and should have scored at least one.

His name was not mentioned very often in the commentary though by SSP.

EDIT. I wrote about Gabby hitting the post before reading the last page of posts, my apologies Smiley
« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 9, 2013, 08:35:29 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2013, 08:39:16 »

Same as Tranmere really. Pretty solid on the ball, played some neat stuff when we wanted to but ultimately had no urgency and strolled through the game in 2nd gear. Good finishes too. Fans have to be more patient than they have been in the last two games, it's not the end of the world if we keep the ball, especially when the other team have 6/7 players stood accross the box. Cheering when a player kicks the ball long, and ultimately goes nowhere, is NOT helping.

LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2013, 08:45:35 »

I enjoyed that, and it showed that we can use another different formation if tactics and personnel dictate. Strolling through games in complete control will keep us fresh and breed confidence.

I can't believe just how much moaning about our possession football I have heard over the last two games. I understand some of the comments (ie. being 1 goal up isn't necessarily a big enough cushion), but for the negativity to reach the pitch is just wrong. We don't practice lumping it into the box, so why should they do it just because some restless souls demand so? Byrne quite clearly swung a ball in (out for a goal kick) when the only targets were El gabas and Ajose - two midgets. That isn't how we play now - we are patient, calculated, and intricate. And I love it.

Individual comments:

- Hall was excellent, even in the air. His passing has been fine all season, but last night he won headers and was more positionally aware than normal.

- Barthram looked good, but had no defending to do... going forward though, his movement and interplay was great.

- I thought Branco did okay - made some mistakes through naivete rather than being shite, for example, he won't get dispossessed letting the ball run out again, just like Comminges didn't after his Walsall balls-up. He grew in confidence, won headers, and even looked more assured with some penetrative forward balls in to Ranger near the end.

- Byford did okay, one flappy attempt at a corner and the closed-down clearance aside. He looks more of a 'keeper than Bedwell, and on this performance, I wouldn't be terrified if Wes was injured for a game or two. Communicated well, and on the whole punched/caught what he needed to, and made a couple of nice saves.

- El gabas, well, I'm not sure. Definitely not MoM, though. Made some nice runs, won some challenges, but his finishing and final ball was largely poor.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Empathy Sloth

« Reply #128 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2013, 08:52:34 »

Didn't really enjoy it....I suppose if the post or bar blasters had gone in we could of won handsomely....as it was we were hanging on.

Plymuff were pish but they kept going and at least they tried unlike Tranmere.

Branco wasn't great and the keeper nearly took off once as he flapped so much....I'm not saying they are shit and always will be but I paid my ten fucking quid so I can give my view....

Both goals were great.

Over elaborated in the final third...

Cooper come across a right cunt in the interviews IMO....and that's when we win...

Please don't refer to the match as 'an exercise' some of us actually turned up and paid good money tonight....

Anyway we are in the hat....nice trip to Newport would be good!
Huh? I don't even..
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2013, 08:59:40 »

Didn't Gabby hit the post?

He did indeed. I'm embarrassed to say that ajose and gabbas kind of merged into the same player in my memory. I can't remember which did what.  Should I join the BNP.

Forgot about hall. Yes he should have been mom.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2013, 09:08:08 »

I enjoyed that, and it showed that we can use another different formation if tactics and personnel dictate. Strolling through games in complete control will keep us fresh and breed confidence.

I can't believe just how much moaning about our possession football I have heard over the last two games. I understand some of the comments (ie. being 1 goal up isn't necessarily a big enough cushion), but for the negativity to reach the pitch is just wrong. We don't practice lumping it into the box, so why should they do it just because some restless souls demand so? Byrne quite clearly swung a ball in (out for a goal kick) when the only targets were El gabas and Ajose - two midgets. That isn't how we play now - we are patient, calculated, and intricate. And I love it.

Individual comments:

- Hall was excellent, even in the air. His passing has been fine all season, but last night he won headers and was more positionally aware than normal.

- Barthram looked good, but had no defending to do... going forward though, his movement and interplay was great.

- I thought Branco did okay - made some mistakes through naivete rather than being shite, for example, he won't get dispossessed letting the ball run out again, just like Comminges didn't after his Walsall balls-up. He grew in confidence, won headers, and even looked more assured with some penetrative forward balls in to Ranger near the end.

- Byford did okay, one flappy attempt at a corner and the closed-down clearance aside. He looks more of a 'keeper than Bedwell, and on this performance, I wouldn't be terrified if Wes was injured for a game or two. Communicated well, and on the whole punched/caught what he needed to, and made a couple of nice saves.

- El gabas, well, I'm not sure. Definitely not MoM, though. Made some nice runs, won some challenges, but his finishing and final ball was largely poor.

On board with this, although I would have been a little harsher on Branco. I've given him the benefit of the doubt as it's his first game and he definitely improved.

The funniest thing about our own fans moaning is that both Tranmere and Plymouth fans have complimented our style of football. I said to a fella in the town end yesterday.. If this upsets you I wouldn't bother coming back again this season. He laughed. I told him it wasn't a joke!
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2013, 09:12:51 »

Whens the draw?
FatSmurf

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2013, 09:40:23 »

Didn't really enjoy it....I suppose if the post or bar blasters had gone in we could of won handsomely....as it was we were hanging on.

Plymuff were pish but they kept going and at least they tried unlike Tranmere.

Branco wasn't great and the keeper nearly took off once as he flapped so much....I'm not saying they are shit and always will be but I paid my ten fucking quid so I can give my view....

Both goals were great.

Over elaborated in the final third...

Cooper come across a right cunt in the interviews IMO....and that's when we win...

Please don't refer to the match as 'an exercise' some of us actually turned up and paid good money tonight....

Anyway we are in the hat....nice trip to Newport would be good!

You come across a right cunt IMO.....and that's when we win, lose, draw
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2013, 09:43:20 »

Whens the draw?

Saturday I believe?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #134 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2013, 09:49:15 »

Whens the draw?
Saturday I believe?
Yep Saturday during Soccer AM, usually around 10.30am.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: