Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 ... 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lee Power...  (Read 49499 times)
DRS

« Reply #195 on: Thursday, October 22, 2015, 18:19:22 »

Sounds like we might have benefitted from the chairman being around on a bit more of a regular basis. Place seems to have been a wreck for months. As a football man, he should have seen that, but appears to have let things carry on to rot.
Hang on, so now instead of slagging power off for being too involved you are now slagging him off for not being involved enough.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: Thursday, October 22, 2015, 18:50:51 »

Perhaps I'm the only one but I'm inclined to see Power as more of a fallible human being than some sort of malicious dictatorial overlord. I would go as far as to say it would be hard for anybody to run a club without a certain amount of ego and feelings of self importance, and those are bound to manifest themselves in both positive and negative ways as the season pans out.  

Also, I know "why always Swindon" is ingrained deeply into many hearts (including mine usually) but it baffles me that people think we are the only club around where the owner / chairman has a say in transfers and style of play, etc.  

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Flashheart

« Reply #197 on: Thursday, October 22, 2015, 18:53:08 »

but it baffles me that people think we are the only club around where the owner / chairman has a say in transfers and style of play, etc.  

It's because some people say so on the internet.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: Thursday, October 22, 2015, 19:11:15 »

Is there actually a hate for power at the moment? I'm struggling to see what he's done wrong? That we know of. Everything else is just rumour. He speaks really well, built a fantastic team last season, can find a good player, has re-invested a bit (not as much as people seem to want), currently struggling with a huge chunk of the team missing. I'm as pissed off as the next but accept it because of the unique injury scenario. It's shit but sometimes shit happens. Cooper has said before almost every injury has been through tackles and impacts, unpreventable. Suck it up, get players back. Be comfortable
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: Thursday, October 22, 2015, 19:11:34 »

.... but it baffles me that people think we are the only club around where the owner / chairman has a say in transfers and style of play, etc.  
I agree. It baffles me too. Surely all owners/chairmen have a say in how the team plays - they employ a manager in the first place because the manager gets teams playing the way the owner/manager wants his team to play. And the manager has much less involvement nowadays than before when it comes to player recruitment.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: Thursday, October 22, 2015, 19:12:19 »

it baffles me that people think we are the only club around where the owner / chairman has a say in transfers and style of play, etc.  
Don't think people do think that. There are plenty of other examples, Leeds springs to mind, or more positively Brentford. But there is an ingrained resistance to "the interfering chairman" in the mindset of British football and fans are no different
Flashheart

« Reply #201 on: Thursday, October 22, 2015, 19:15:35 »

I don't think Ells literally meant people think that, but rather a comment on how some act.

Some keep on banging on about Power picking the team. This has been denied, and never proven. But hey ho, it's a stick to bash him with so why not use it?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: Thursday, October 22, 2015, 19:17:33 »

He certainly picked Agombar Smiley
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: Thursday, October 22, 2015, 19:19:34 »

Some keep on banging on about Power picking the team. This has been denied, and never proven. But hey ho, it's a stick to bash him with so why not use it?
In fairness, it's unlikely to be able to be "proven" in any meaningful sense. I heard it asserted today as a "known" fact for the 3rd time this week from 3 different reasonably well connected people. Which doesn't mean it's true, of course, but it's certainly a very strong rumour in circles close to the club as well as among fans.
Flashheart

« Reply #204 on: Thursday, October 22, 2015, 19:21:36 »

He certainly picked Agombar Smiley

Even that's not certain but if it is true, it does not mean to say it happens regularly, if at all.
Flashheart

« Reply #205 on: Thursday, October 22, 2015, 19:25:03 »

Which doesn't mean it's true, of course, but it's certainly a very strong rumour in circles close to the club as well as among fans.

It was a 'strong rumour' that Standing chose the team for the PO final (and interferes a lot generally). That went a bit quite once it was discovered that Standing is Cooper's agent.

These things could be true but until we have something of substance, why treat them as though they are true?
Flashheart

« Reply #206 on: Thursday, October 22, 2015, 19:29:05 »

Meh, fuck it. If people wish to jump to assumptions then that's their prerogative. I'll just sit back and smirk to myself if/when they are shown to be wrong.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: Thursday, October 22, 2015, 19:29:57 »

Even that's not certain but if it is true, it does not mean to say it happens regularly, if at all.

It came from above Cooper, doesn't leave anywhere else to look really.
--
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: Thursday, October 22, 2015, 19:30:58 »

These things could be true but until we have something of substance, why treat them as though they are true?

Jesus,for one life is boring if we only deal in hard facts.
Flashheart

« Reply #209 on: Thursday, October 22, 2015, 19:33:22 »

It came from above Cooper, doesn't leave anywhere else to look really.
--

Ah yeah, I remember now. This still doesn't mean it happens all the time.

But to be frank, I don't care who picks the team anyway. Power could appoint his mum as manager and tell her what to do for all I care, the only thing I'm concerned with is whether or not it works.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 ... 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: