Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 ... 71   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Next manager  (Read 193358 times)
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #975 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 20:00:16 »

If anyone hasn't read this then I urge them to do so and then comment on him being weak and fragile.

Ling's willingness to speak openly on the subject knowing the stigma attached to mental health issues speaks volumes about his character.

Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #976 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 20:01:26 »

I don't remember Cureton ever scoring or going on a run.. he and Thorpe are two of the most disappointing signings we have had in my supporting time - should have given so much and delivered absolutely nothing!

Scored in something like 6 or 7 successive home leagues games when came back from loan.

Those were his only goals mind you
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #977 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 20:04:10 »

Genuinely curious whether anyone else thinks this? I never saw him play myself.
No. I remember him as being one of the most positive attacking midfielders we've had - someone who was confident in his abilities. Didn't always perform to his full ability, mind, and wouldn't make my best xi. A good player with a good attitude.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #978 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 20:06:23 »

Who was the Cambridge manager who had the team that sent the ball into orbit for most of the match?

I don't think you ever received an answer to your question (from 5 pages back.)  It was John Beck.  The papers loved it when we played them.  Hoddle's total passing game vs the brutality of Beck's kick'n'rush thumpball.
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #979 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 20:08:55 »

He didn't stand out as amazing, but this was in a team that included the likes of Hoddle et al. He certainly was not crap.

If my memory serves me right, Lingy was named MoM in the '93 Play-off final

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #980 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 20:15:32 »

And welcome home, Lingy.

I'm amazed that his playing credentials are being questioned by some.  He was a key player in one of the most sublime passing sides ever to represent the Club - missing just 3 games in possibly the greatest season we ever had (1992/93).  What do you want...blood?!

He earned his stripes as a player, no doubt about it.  Challenge now is to make a name for himself all over again.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #981 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 20:19:35 »

Genuinely curious whether anyone else thinks this? I never saw him play myself.

Simon Ferry reminded me a lot of Ling, very attacking minded but Lingy scored more and had a better final ball.

Very much agree with what Leftside said about Hoddle's midfield.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #982 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 20:28:13 »

I don't think you ever received an answer to your question (from 5 pages back.)  It was John Beck.  The papers loved it when we played them.  Hoddle's total passing game vs the brutality of Beck's kick'n'rush thumpball.

I went to one of the games there when Beck was manager. Jeez I'd never seen anything like it. Pitch was a beach, not that it mattered the ball barely touched it. I think it was 1-1. I did actually come home with a sore neck.
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #983 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 20:28:26 »

I remember the games when we tanked Cambridge 4-1, and Hoddle was taking the piss out of their players for most of the second half.

Beck got the sack soon after.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Flashheart

« Reply #984 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 20:29:23 »

And welcome home, Lingy.

I'm amazed that his playing credentials are being questioned by some.

Must correct you there..... his credentials are being questioned by 'one', not 'some. That 'one' being D.V.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #985 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 20:31:02 »

I remember the games when we tanked Cambridge 4-1, and Hoddle was taking the piss out of their players for most of the second half.

Beck got the sack soon after.

I remember that game, just about. They had Dion Dublin and Claridge up front - not bad at all. I seem to remember that they grew the grass longer in the corners at the Abbey so that they could just pump it to the corner and it would hold up.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #986 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 20:34:54 »

Must correct you there..... his credentials are being questioned by 'one', not 'some. That 'one' being D.V.
In fairness he probably only remembers him from the division 1 title winning team under McMahon where he did have a pretty poor season and barely played.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #987 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 20:35:22 »

Their ball boys were also known for using towels to dry the ball in wet weather when Cambridge had a throw in; but failed to do so when the opposition had a throw.

Beck's football was ugly to watch, but highly effective.  Most of the time.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #988 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 20:36:14 »

...and that was me questioning my memory of him more so than anything. I just seem to remember him for having long red cycling shorts and getting bullied off the ball alot.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #989 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 20:37:53 »

...and that was me questioning my memory of him more so than anything. I just seem to remember him for having long red cycling shorts and getting bullied off the ball alot.
I didn't mean to single you out, I was genuinely interested as I've only seen footage of him (and the PO final) and he looked pretty good.

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 ... 71   Go Up
Print
Jump to: