Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 ... 71   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Next manager  (Read 193383 times)
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #915 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 14:03:47 »

I had the same affection for Iffy, for the same reasons. I hope this goes better.

I actually think Iffy was unlucky. He managed to turn our form around and we got out of the relegation zone but then he was forced to sell Fallon who was on good form. Things may have been different if we weren't forced to sell. Am I the only one thinks Iffy did okay?
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #916 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 14:08:07 »

Our form actually turned around after Fallon left. It was when Cureton started scoring we went on a good run. As soon as his goals stopped we started losing. We were in a good position but we bottled it, I think losing at home to Franchise really did us in. Iffy did OK but I'm glad we didn't give him the reigns after we got relegated.
cambridgeunited

Ignore
« Reply #917 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 14:09:28 »

Ha, I'd forgotten Cambridge had a football club.

You'll be reminded next season in League Two.

I am genuinely flabbergasted by this appointment. Blowing a ton of cash on assembling the worst squad we've had in fifty years in tandem with his arrogant, self-righteous and dismissive attitude towards the fans who turned up to watch complete drivel has earned Martin Ling a consensus among Cambridge fans as the worst manager we've had in living memory. Rest assured, that is no mean feat.

My opinion of him has softened since his mental health issues came to light, although he still managed to ruffle a few more feathers by referring to us as a 'shithole club' in that book written about him and depression.

Nothing against your club, but if I were you I'd be seriously concerned about the Good ship Swindon with Ling and Power (jesus wept!) at the helm.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #918 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 14:12:52 »

Whilst an admirer of the contribution made by the French, in the realms of food, arts, maths, science and philosophy....I'm less enamoured of their contribution to politics and Div 2/3 STFC footballers.

I think your Nelson eyepatch is blinding you to the hit-and-miss nature of lower-league football. I struggle to list the notably poor frogs we've had - Pericard, Sabin... -  but alongside those figure Cuervo, Darras, Comminges, Zaaboub, N'guessan, Razak, Kerrouche etc etc, all French nationals who more than held their own.

So why do you insist on picking out the French? De Gaulle? Culture envy? I know you're a bit old for new tricks, but could a hint of prejudice be clouding your judgment?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sűr ŕ propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #919 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 14:14:47 »

For every grumpy Cambridge United fan there's a conplimentary Orient fan or a rational Torquay fan.

Ling will be judged by his Swindon managerial career, just the same as Cooper was despite his patchy non-league record.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #920 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 14:17:18 »

...God help you all.

God doesn't exist you thick cunt
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #921 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 14:19:26 »

Our form actually turned around after Fallon left. It was when Cureton started scoring we went on a good run. As soon as his goals stopped we started losing. We were in a good position but we bottled it, I think losing at home to Franchise really did us in. Iffy did OK but I'm glad we didn't give him the reigns after we got relegated.
I don't remember Cureton ever scoring or going on a run.. he and Thorpe are two of the most disappointing signings we have had in my supporting time - should have given so much and delivered absolutely nothing!
Skinny Pete

« Reply #922 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 14:22:07 »

I think we had similar sentiments posted on here by a Posh fan when Cooper got the gig
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #923 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 14:29:22 »

I think we had similar sentiments posted on here by a Posh fan when Cooper got the gig

They told us he was a long-ball merchant.
Honest Lee

We are going up ! (sometime)

Ignore
« Reply #924 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 14:31:04 »

Perhaps Cooper is.
Power isn't.

The only thing that ever matters is to love and to be loved.
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #925 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 14:32:47 »

Maybe he was but his actual influence may have been very limited; restricted by Power's "footballing philosophy", Power's player selection and the fact he wasn't even doing the coaching.
Flashheart

« Reply #926 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 14:33:59 »

I've wondered about this. It could explain why things started to go horribly wrong when Cooper supposedly wanted to do things his own way. His ideas could have been incompatible with what we are doing, leading to the lack of direction that some have alluded to.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #927 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 14:35:48 »

I actually didn't know Ling had managed Cambridge. Well wont be long before we know if he's wrong or right.
Skinny Pete

« Reply #928 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 14:37:33 »

So, it's not really a fresh start so much as a retro start.

Get back to last season's style and we'll all be happier - apart from Adver non-believers
Chrystovski

« Reply #929 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 14:37:36 »

Apologies if this has posted already but just stumbled upon this interview with Ling regarding his depression.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/martin-ling-interview-former-leyton-orient-manager-on-seeking-therapy-for-mental-health-issues-and-10466664.html

Asked about whether he thinks he will get back into Football management he says

“Do I think I’m going to get back? No, in my heart of hearts,” he reflects. “My CV always got me a job before all of this but it hasn’t since.”

Just over 2 months later and he has the top job at the club he loves. Welcome back Lingy and good luck  Cheesy
« Last Edit: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 14:40:07 by Chrystovski » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 ... 71   Go Up
Print
Jump to: