Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 ... 71   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Next manager  (Read 193371 times)
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #780 on: Monday, November 2, 2015, 21:17:09 »

Did Broomes not also score against us once?
Good show jumper in his day.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #781 on: Monday, November 2, 2015, 21:19:16 »

Biggest memory of Craig Taylor was his handball on the line at home to Ipswich inside the first ten minutes.  Red card, pen scored plus another five other goals.  One of my lowest moments as a Town fan that match.
I threw a mushroom across the kitchen after that match, listening to Green Day, preparing a meal for my girlfriend and her friend, an Ipswich fan. The mushroom exploded satisfyingly against the kitchen wall. One of my lowest moments as a Town fan/chef.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #782 on: Monday, November 2, 2015, 21:21:22 »

If it is Ling, with his past depression issues I am a bit concerned for him if it does all go pear shaped. We're not expected to be all nice and understanding are we because of his his past issues are we? If God forbid things go down the Paul Hart route then he'll be a man under a lot of pressure and getting a lot of criticism...

I know this probably sounds a bit harsh as its not his fault but it does add another risk on top of what you already have when you appoint a new manager.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #783 on: Monday, November 2, 2015, 21:25:42 »

I gave up on the club
If we all did that, there wouldn't be a club for you to post a grumble at.

My advice would be to 'take the pain' and accept STFC for what it is, will be and has been.
DMR

« Reply #784 on: Monday, November 2, 2015, 21:35:57 »

This is going to be a bit of a disaster isn't it.

As people have alluded to already, his mental health is clearly an issue. It's admirable that he's been open about it - but you wouldn't pick a 20 stone bloke to be a jockey, you wouldn't give a blind man a job as a pilot and at the risk of sounding cruel its a bit mental to put a manic depressive in a high pressure job played out in the public eye.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #785 on: Monday, November 2, 2015, 21:41:15 »

As people have alluded to already, his mental health is clearly an issue. It's admirable that he's been open about it - but you wouldn't pick a 20 stone bloke to be a jockey, you wouldn't give a blind man a job as a pilot and at the risk of sounding cruel its a bit mental to put a manic depressive in a high pressure job played out in the public eye.

Is his issue manic depression? I hadn't seen that referenced. That's a long-term condition and a lot different from temporary work-related burnout. Sauce?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
DMR

« Reply #786 on: Monday, November 2, 2015, 21:42:33 »

Poor choice of phrase on my part. But you know what I mean.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #787 on: Monday, November 2, 2015, 21:42:44 »

I thought the same Red Frog, never seen manic depression refreneced anywhere
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #788 on: Monday, November 2, 2015, 21:42:55 »

A pretty odd comparison, I know of people who have had severe mental health issues in the past, comparable with Ling, and are now, 10 years on, back working and have been for years, very successfully and have been for years.

It's an illness, some people can completely recover, some can't. I guess Martin and his doctors would have s better idea than some blokes on an Internet forum of what category he falls into
DMR

« Reply #789 on: Monday, November 2, 2015, 21:44:24 »

A pretty odd comparison, I know of people who have had severe mental health issues in the past, comparable with Ling, and are now, 10 years on, back working and have been for years, very successfully and have been for years.

It's an illness, some people can completely recover, some can't. I guess Martin and his doctors would have s better idea than some blokes on an Internet forum of what category he falls into

How many of them work in a job as public as professional football?
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #790 on: Monday, November 2, 2015, 21:45:19 »

I thought the same Red Frog, never seen manic depression refreneced anywhere

More details here Tans, and also in the (excellent) Living On The Volcano book by Micheal Calvin

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/martin-ling-interview-former-leyton-orient-manager-on-seeking-therapy-for-mental-health-issues-and-10466664.html
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #791 on: Monday, November 2, 2015, 21:47:19 »

They work in very high pressured jobs, not necessarily as public I grant you, as I said I think he and his medical team will judge what is and isn't best for him. From reading about him in the book I mentioned in an above post, he clearly thinks he's ready to return and personally I think he should be given a chance.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #792 on: Monday, November 2, 2015, 21:49:28 »

I do side with DMR on this. He's also going to get constantly reminded and asked questions about it which I can't imagine will help matters.
DMR

« Reply #793 on: Monday, November 2, 2015, 21:58:25 »

They work in very high pressured jobs, not necessarily as public I grant you, as I said I think he and his medical team will judge what is and isn't best for him. From reading about him in the book I mentioned in an above post, he clearly thinks he's ready to return and personally I think he should be given a chance.

I didn't ask about pressure. Because to a degree it's irrelevant. I would imagine the depressed shelf stacker feels under as much pressure as a depressed football manager. One doesn't get national and local media coverage weekly though.
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #794 on: Monday, November 2, 2015, 21:59:25 »

I do side with DMR on this. He's also going to get constantly reminded and asked questions about it which I can't imagine will help matters.

Yeah I can just hear Hodgetts now "So Martin, conceding a last minute equaliser must be hard to take, will you be checking into The Priory again?"

He'll be judged, like all managers, by results on the pitch.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 ... 71   Go Up
Print
Jump to: