Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 ... 71   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Next manager  (Read 193362 times)
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #750 on: Monday, November 2, 2015, 19:35:36 »

Historical managerial stats don't tell the whole story as most of them are ruined by the dreaded spell that lost them their jobs, who they are competing with, what the budgets were etc.

Apart of the world class coaches, these stats often fail to highlight the positive achievements, like Orient's promotion, like Torquay's Play-Off finish during our League 2 winning season (including a win over Town on Boxing Day).

Mark Cooper's managerial stats were largely lousy where it 'mattered', he did okay here under restricted managerial circumstances.

Ling, like any other potential manager, has my support. It's largely irrelevant but he's got it.

Great post, sums up my thoughts really.

Primarily the bit in bold.. Some managers work out well at clubs, others are disastrous. I really don't get this whole desire to treat football like its a statistically predictable entity. If it was it'd be fucking boring.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #751 on: Monday, November 2, 2015, 19:36:24 »

Ultimately this season, it's the recruitment dept that has fucked up, chuck in the injuries and there you have it....with a better squad, Cooper would have kept us up.

Maybe Lingy will have a few ideas to chuck at Power for January......Billy Bodin it is then  Smiley

Bring in Billy Bodin, George Moncur, Sam Ling and get Markus Fjortoft out of the American collegiate and we've got ourselves the start of a 1991-1994 regeneration side!

Sadly, Joe White didn't make the grade in pro-football.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #752 on: Monday, November 2, 2015, 19:38:53 »

Bring in Billy Bodin, George Moncur, Sam Ling and get Markus Fjortoft out of the American collegiate and we've got ourselves the start of a 1991-1994 regeneration side!

Wasn't there a Nijholt junior kicking around somewhere?
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #753 on: Monday, November 2, 2015, 19:40:08 »

I went to school with Shaun Taylor's son. Don't remember him liking football though.

His brother was wasn't he?
« Last Edit: Monday, November 2, 2015, 19:42:18 by Ells » Logged

Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #754 on: Monday, November 2, 2015, 19:41:12 »

Wasn't there a Nijholt junior kicking around somewhere?

Off course, Gianluca Nijholt.

Great name.
Flashheart

« Reply #755 on: Monday, November 2, 2015, 19:46:40 »

I went to school with Shaun Taylor's son. Don't remember him liking football though.

His brother was wasn't he?

Yes. Craig Taylor. He actually played for us.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #756 on: Monday, November 2, 2015, 19:48:25 »

Yes. Craig Taylor. He actually played for us.

I thought so! I think I was about 5 at the time though. Didn't he get a nasty injury?

Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #757 on: Monday, November 2, 2015, 19:51:41 »

Great post, sums up my thoughts really.

Primarily the bit in bold.. Some managers work out well at clubs, others are disastrous. I really don't get this whole desire to treat football like its a statistically predictable entity. If it was it'd be fucking boring.

Same as. Managerial win/loss are unbelievably pointless without the context
Flashheart

« Reply #758 on: Monday, November 2, 2015, 19:53:11 »

I thought so! I think I was about 5 at the time though. Didn't he get a nasty injury?

I don't remember. I do remember many thinking he was going to be great because his brother was the mighty OST. It didn't work out that way, of course.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #759 on: Monday, November 2, 2015, 19:57:21 »

Biggest memory of Craig Taylor was his handball on the line at home to Ipswich inside the first ten minutes.  Red card, pen scored plus another five other goals.  One of my lowest moments as a Town fan that match.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #760 on: Monday, November 2, 2015, 20:00:02 »

Craig Taylor didn't wear a gumshield or wear his shorts needlessly high.

Just who the hell did he think he was?
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #761 on: Monday, November 2, 2015, 20:01:11 »

I may have invented that injury then.

Sorry Craig, if you're reading.

Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #762 on: Monday, November 2, 2015, 20:13:14 »

Happy enough with Ling given the realistic optiond we had. His record is alright but nothing amazing. Did a good job at Torquay. It went pair shaped after he got depression. Not really his fault that.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #763 on: Monday, November 2, 2015, 20:17:16 »

Biggest memory of Craig Taylor was his handball on the line at home to Ipswich inside the first ten minutes.  Red card, pen scored plus another five other goals.  One of my lowest moments as a Town fan that match.

Didn't he lash a 35 yarder in at the start of his spell with us? Or am I thinking of someone else?
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #764 on: Monday, November 2, 2015, 20:19:33 »

Live on tv too wasnt it?
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 ... 71   Go Up
Print
Jump to: