Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Grunt Smith strikes back allegedly over loyalty jibes  (Read 5531 times)
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Monday, March 17, 2008, 18:47:21 »

loooking back in t'old threads it seems fairly common consensus that howard wasn't offered a contract, and smith was offered a contract, but city offered him a better one. But everything would be all right because we had thorpe and cureton....

Things get better but they never get good
JPC82

« Reply #31 on: Monday, March 17, 2008, 18:49:34 »

correct dave
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Monday, March 17, 2008, 18:50:22 »

well, apart from the last bit...

Things get better but they never get good
JPC82

« Reply #33 on: Monday, March 17, 2008, 18:54:58 »

Glos not singing, glos not singing, glos not singing anymore!!!!
sonic youth

« Reply #34 on: Monday, March 17, 2008, 19:03:39 »

i'm fairly sure we offered smith a contract over howard too.
glos_robin

« Reply #35 on: Monday, March 17, 2008, 19:09:28 »

Quote from: "JPC82"
Glos not singing, glos not singing, glos not singing anymore!!!!

Oh deary me are you about 10 or something.

Contract negotiations with Howard actually began in the February prior to him leaving in May and at one stage he was only a few days from signing a new deal but then the goalposts changed and the deal was shelved whilst we tried for the play-offs. Howard was then offered a deal on reduced terms in the summer following Grant Smiths rise to the fore. Andy King himself even let it slip later on in the closed season when he said he didn't even really offer the contract to Howard as it was reduced terms and he knew it wouldn't have been acceptable. Once Smith rejected his deal they turned their attention back on Howard upping the offer but by then it was too late. Grant Smith and Brian Howard are 2 players I actually know alot about as the first team captain at uni was Brian Howards best mate and one of my mates was Paul Stapleton's son and Grant Smith spent a period on loan at Plymouth. I know fuck all about other players but I think you will find I'm right about this  :roll:
sonic youth

« Reply #36 on: Monday, March 17, 2008, 19:13:27 »

well, if howard was offered improved terms on the contract he was currently on at the time we would have been due compensation. if i remember correctly we didn't receive any, which would suggest he was offered a worse deal.
glos_robin

« Reply #37 on: Monday, March 17, 2008, 19:16:37 »

Quote from: "sonic youth"
well, if howard was offered improved terms on the contract he was currently on at the time we would have been due compensation. if i remember correctly we didn't receive any, which would suggest he was offered a worse deal.

He was on quite a wadge as he was on the verge of signing for Chelsea as peculiar as it sounds when King somehow King signed him. They couldn't match that deal but offered an increased reduced terms deal if that makes sense  :?
JPC82

« Reply #38 on: Monday, March 17, 2008, 19:18:58 »

Quote from: "glos_robin"
Quote from: "sonic youth"

He was on quite a wadge as he was on the verge of signing for Chelsea as peculiar as it sounds when King somehow King signed him. They couldn't match that deal but offered an increased reduced terms deal if that makes sense  :?

Howard wasnt on great money at all! Howard was at Chelsea for a few months trying to earn a contract until Ambramovich took over and signed Veron Cole and Duff within a few weeks, Howard was fucked! joined on the same money as Nicho which was £800p/w,
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #39 on: Monday, March 17, 2008, 19:20:31 »

Quote from: glos_robin
Andy King himself even let it slip later on in the closed season when he said he didn't even really offer the contract to Howard as it was reduced terms and he knew it wouldn't have been acceptable.

And so therefore..... Howard was not offered a deal, right.
glos_robin

« Reply #40 on: Monday, March 17, 2008, 19:34:39 »

I've just had a quick look around the net and it even says on the Barnsley official site on his player profile that he rejected a new offer here...... anyway thats me done for night as got limited power at home at the moment as the flood rebuild (or lack of) carries on.
JPC82

« Reply #41 on: Monday, March 17, 2008, 19:40:44 »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/swindon_town/4546997.stm

shall we just leave it there glos  Cheesy
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Monday, March 17, 2008, 19:53:15 »

I couldn't say either way, although I want glos to be right.

I can say that in that close season we did everything we could to get players off our books.  We were on a rapid wage reduction spree under the old regime, probably because they knew the shit storm was on it's way without further investment coming in (as it turned out).  Players were offered reduced terms and we did shave some of the wage bill off.  The impact was seen the next season when it became clear that our side was no longer anywhere good enough to survive in the same league.
Barry Scott

« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, March 18, 2008, 11:19:25 »

Who really gives a fuck? It doesn't matter one bit, as neither are our players. Shrug
flammableBen

« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, March 18, 2008, 11:58:40 »

Hahahha, they're both wrong.  Cool
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: