Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Network Cables - What / Where To Buy?  (Read 4610 times)
jonny72

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, August 11, 2010, 20:05:34 »

I need to buy some network cable and all the connectors and stuff to go with it. I know what I need but not where to buy it and if I should pay more for a brand / better quality (and how to tell if something is better quality). I'm tempted to buy the cheapest stuff I can find on eBay from one of the big sellers of this sort of stuff, not sure if that is a good idea or not.

It's primarily for home use but maybe in a small office as well. Though I'd be interested in knowing what big companies and professionals would use as well, if anyone knows or does it at work.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2010, 20:13:03 »

Depends what you're using it for. Short runs of cable = any bit of cable will do. Long runs = fully screened Cat5e or Cat6.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2010, 20:15:13 »

Are you looking to crimp your own ends onto cable on a reel, or to buy pre-made cables?
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2010, 20:33:09 »

It's a reel of cable I'm looking for.

I'm going to get some cheap stuff for use at home but I'm helping out at a charity and they need some cabling done (not a complete install, just adding / replacing a few cables) in their offices and I'm not sure if I can use the cheap stuff for that or if I'd want to get something better.

Cat6 would be overkill, so it's Cat5e I'm after.
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2010, 21:19:42 »

Try here

http://www.cats.org.uk/
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, August 12, 2010, 08:19:46 »

Camlab will sell you a box, about £40 for 100m.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #6 on: Thursday, August 12, 2010, 16:09:26 »

Jonny. Go to Adept Networks Cheney Manor industrial estate. The lads in there are fucking diamonds. Ingore the Arsenal tat on the walls, one of them is an STFC season ticket holder.

They have everything you need at a decent price and they will answer any questions you have about cable etc.

www.adeptnetworks.co.uk is their website.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: