Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 30   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bantams view on Doyle situation  (Read 120823 times)
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Friday, December 20, 2019, 13:22:28 »

That's odd, not often you get crossover between the roses, other than via people moving etc.

Yep, I've also got a friend who's proudly Yorkshire and Burnley. Always feels a bit odd, but then I remember that we've got all of Oxfordshire's best fans.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Friday, December 20, 2019, 13:34:17 »

Based in Wiltshire it amazes me how many fans support - and go to - Southampton and Bristol.
We are the ONLY club in Wiltshire,  why would you want to travel to a rival county ?.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Friday, December 20, 2019, 13:49:06 »

Based in Wiltshire it amazes me how many fans support - and go to - Southampton and Bristol.
We are the ONLY club in Wiltshire,  why would you want to travel to a rival county ?.

Choose your answer(s):
a) Our lack of success over the last 25 years
b) The validation fragile souls need from association with a football team's (relative) success
c) The increase in people's budget and time for their leisure pursuits
c) Swindon's unfortunate location on the northern edge of the county
d) The number of recent immigrants to the county with roots outside Wiltshire
e) The perception in a rural county that football is for urban louts
f) The club's lack of community outreach over the years

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Friday, December 20, 2019, 13:59:14 »

Another reason would probably be family loyalties. I've never lived in Wiltshire and in effect should support Berkshires only league club...
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Friday, December 20, 2019, 13:59:23 »

We are the ONLY club in Wiltshire,  why would you want to travel to a rival county ?.

Do we have rival counties, does it matter that much to people. Probably wrong person to ask as whilst I am Oxfordshire born and bred, neither of my parents were from Oxon (Mum Gloucestershire and old man Swindon), plus I have lived all over the place so probably don't really have geographical roots anywhere and have bugger all allegiance to Oxfordshire.

Amusingly Mrs Horlock07 is Yorkshire born and bred (and very proud) yet when our little un arrived we were living in Lancashire so she is a Lancashire lass!

Don't you bloody start on that!  Wink
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Friday, December 20, 2019, 13:59:40 »

Choose your answer(s):
a) Our lack of success over the last 25 years
b) The validation fragile souls need from association with a football team's (relative) success
c) The increase in people's budget and time for their leisure pursuits
c) Swindon's unfortunate location on the northern edge of the county
d) The number of recent immigrants to the county with roots outside Wiltshire
e) The perception in a rural county that football is for urban louts

It's been pointed out many times that towards the south of the county from about Pewsey down, you're into Soton country, Salisbury Plain is pretty empty, and something of a travel obstacle.  It's always been that way.  Going west Devizes is about the edge of Town territory.... Trowbridge questionable.

Goiing back into the 60's, community links into the natural STFC hinterland of Berkshire and SE Gloucestershire were enhanced by the club playing cricket matches in the summer v local pub/club sides.  I used to play for STFC, which was scary for a young lad.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Friday, December 20, 2019, 14:09:01 »

As a lad I went to school in Chippenham, lived in Corsham. Chippenham was entirely STFC, Corsham was mostly but with a smattering of City.

When I lived in Salisbury I didn’t know of any Town fans - almost all Southampton. There is no correlation between county and club supported IMO.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Friday, December 20, 2019, 15:11:56 »

Goiing back into the 60's, community links into the natural STFC hinterland of Berkshire and SE Gloucestershire were enhanced by the club playing cricket matches in the summer v local pub/club sides.  I used to play for STFC, which was scary for a young lad.
[/quote]

We also used to do a full round of pre season friendlies in the late 80s early 90s at the local clubs. I can remember regular games at Ciren Town, Malmesbury Vics, Fairford and Wootton Bassett even outposts like Sherston.

We do get in the usual pre season with Supermarine but it seems the other local clubs get shared out a bit more on a rotation.

I guess due to pre-season tours abroad, quality of non league pitches and remembering not to kick lumps out of Swindon players.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Friday, December 20, 2019, 16:12:10 »

As a lad I went to school in Chippenham, lived in Corsham. Chippenham was entirely STFC, Corsham was mostly but with a smattering of City.

When I lived in Salisbury I didn’t know of any Town fans - almost all Southampton. There is no correlation between county and club supported IMO.

Irrespective of county loyalties Southampton is only 23 miles from Salisbury where as Swindon is 40 miles and to a neutral a much bigger club and proposition 

So, give no fucks
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Friday, December 20, 2019, 16:32:54 »

Anyway...Bantams view on Doyle situation Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Friday, December 20, 2019, 17:12:38 »

Irrespective of county loyalties Southampton is only 23 miles from Salisbury where as Swindon is 40 miles and to a neutral a much bigger club and proposition 

I wouldn't say were that much bigger than Southampton
cdakev

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Friday, December 20, 2019, 17:40:24 »

I grew up in Faringdon which is in Oxfordshire but it's entirely Swindon fans not the yellow piss down the road
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Friday, December 20, 2019, 18:31:36 »

I grew up in Faringdon which is in Oxfordshire but it's entirely Swindon fans not the yellow piss down the road

Must've changed since I was at Faringdon School as there were a few Pox fans there (ok it was the 80's)

Cats are better than dogs FACT
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Friday, December 20, 2019, 19:14:29 »

Anyway...Bantams view on Doyle situation Smiley
Exactly...can all this shit be moved to a separate thread...?

I wouldn't say were that much bigger than Southampton

Must've changed since I was at Faringdon School as there were a few Pox fans there (ok it was the 80's)
cdakev

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Friday, December 20, 2019, 19:32:31 »

I went to Faringdon school in the 80's and the only pox fans were from Southmoor, none from Faringdon
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 30   Go Up
Print
Jump to: