Pages: 1 ... 1170 1171 1172 [1173] 1174 1175 1176 ... 1231   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Ex Swindon Town Player Where Are They Now Thread  (Read 4420590 times)
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #17580 on: Thursday, September 14, 2023, 15:47:24 »

I think it needs to be dealt with on a case by case basis, some will be more ready than others to chose.  I follow someone on Instagram who transitioned at 12 (I think, certainly that sort of age) (in her 20's now) and she seems one of the most self aware and confident people out there. 
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #17581 on: Thursday, September 14, 2023, 15:56:41 »

Your wording suggests it's a case in the USA, not the UK - you'd would not be suing a hospital in the UK, you'd raise a case against the Local Health Authority/Trust, no?

A cursory google suggests that's its a case from Nebraska...

I get the annoyance with the word woke, it used to annoy me when I was called a do-gooder(what on earn is wrong with doing good!), but the meaning of the word has changed and Horlock sounds like my dad complaining that gay used to mean happy.

I think you misunderstood my post, its more a frustration that it has become a lazy pseudo insult perpetuated by the right wing media to basically accuse those right wingers don't agree with of being sensitive (I could say snowflakey) normally by someone from the other side of the political divide whilst they are being a bit snowflakey, instead its becoming a pointless playground insult.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #17582 on: Thursday, September 14, 2023, 16:07:35 »

What difference where it occurred make?

Puberty blockers?

Because the laws can be different, and the degree to which factual checking may or may not have occurred can be different, especially when sourcing news articles.  The TV over here for example is more biased (on both sides, if there are only two) than the printed press in the UK.  Therefore a degree of caution is necessary before simply taking an article on face value.

The case you raise could actually be one facing a degree of dispute - in terms of the story being a fully factual one.

Either way, the one I found was in California, and as such the law prevents a minor making such decisions.  In rare cases (based on data) parents have agreed to surgery for their child, which appears the case here.  The individual may well have a very good case against their own parents (but, despite the individual appearing on all sorts of USA media, her parents have not had a single word to say).  The individual has also confirmed, according to their story, that the medical professional did not adhere to the medical standards for treatment of a minor (prescribing both puberty blockers and testosterone at the same time, which is not recommended).  So even if we accept the story at full face value, it appears to be an outlier caused by a single medical professional performing surgery and prescribing medication outside the agreed standards and with full parental consent and involvement.

Anyway, to your other question - I do not have an opinion, in so far as I do not purport to understand the individual situations people find themselves in.  If the prescription of such drugs is recommended, because the individual is presenting near suicidal tendencies, then who am I to tell them they shouldn't be allowed?  How do I know what conversations have been ongoing?  What their parents think?

At the end of the day - my opinion is that anything that so fundamentally alters you as an individual should require a high bar for approval.   It should require significant time to pass to allow for assessment, treatment (if needed), alternative avenues to be discussed etc.

In the USA 0.4% of those who transition, take the step to de-transition.
« Last Edit: Thursday, September 14, 2023, 16:10:58 by RobertT » Logged
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #17583 on: Thursday, September 14, 2023, 16:20:33 »

From what I understand there have been no clinical trials in puberty blocking drugs.

Possible long-term side effects of puberty blockers
Lower bone density. To protect against this, we work to make sure every patient gets enough exercise, calcium and vitamin D, which can help keep bones healthy and strong. We also closely monitor patients’ bone density.
Delayed growth plate closure, leading to slightly taller adult height. 
Less development of genital tissue, which may limit options for gender affirming surgery (bottom surgery) later in life.
Other possible long-term side effects that are not yet known.

That last one would worry me.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #17584 on: Thursday, September 14, 2023, 16:25:12 »

Obviously puberty blockers need to be given at a young age before puberty starts - that’s probably 7 or 8. Do you think kids of that age would have suicidal thoughts?

Kinky Tom

Ignore
« Reply #17585 on: Thursday, September 14, 2023, 16:26:29 »

I know I did, different reasons but yes, often.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #17586 on: Thursday, September 14, 2023, 16:27:36 »

Sorry Ive been out for a couple of hours.  Has Dion Conroy transitioned to Diana or something?

Never knowingly overstated.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #17587 on: Thursday, September 14, 2023, 16:28:44 »

I know I did, different reasons but yes, often.
Jeez!
Kinky Tom

Ignore
« Reply #17588 on: Thursday, September 14, 2023, 16:35:51 »

Jeez!

I'm so thankfull that things are different now, I can only wish that it was OK to be not OK back then like it is now. 

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #17589 on: Thursday, September 14, 2023, 16:36:32 »

Amen
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #17590 on: Thursday, September 14, 2023, 16:44:44 »

Obviously puberty blockers need to be given at a young age before puberty starts - that’s probably 7 or 8. Do you think kids of that age would have suicidal thoughts?

They can start later than that (blockers), my personal experience (not with a child wishing to transition) is that children of a very young age can indeed have thoughts of a suicidal nature.  If there is a way of helping them, when it is the right thing to do (when all parties agree), then it's not my right to judge them.

Take a different example - Circumcision.  Should that be allowed on boys < the age of 16?  Again, this one can be very cultural, religious even, but why do we accept a parent is able to make such a decision, at a very young age for the child/   In the USA, where it is more common, we were asked if we wanted  our son to have the procedure while he was under the knife for a Hernia Op, aged 8.  Honestly, it made me respond inappropriately to the surgeon, but it really took me aback.  That is seen as very common and nothing to be concerned about by the USA public at large.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #17591 on: Friday, September 15, 2023, 06:46:03 »

He’s on the thick list isnt he

Expect to see him on a pod cast with Le Tissier, Cotterill and Lambert next
I can think of a TEF’er who’d make a good host for that  Wink

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #17592 on: Friday, September 15, 2023, 07:44:04 »

Bet my tin foil hat offers more protection than that fucking jab!
UTR

Ignore
« Reply #17593 on: Friday, September 15, 2023, 07:54:01 »

There’s going off thread topic and then there’s this
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #17594 on: Friday, September 15, 2023, 09:25:22 »

There’s going off thread topic and then there’s this
This.

Which ex Town player has had a double mastectomy again? Razor Ruddock maybe?

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 1170 1171 1172 [1173] 1174 1175 1176 ... 1231   Go Up
Print
Jump to: