Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 ... 76   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New board press conference thread  (Read 157880 times)
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #1020 on: Monday, March 25, 2013, 17:55:23 »

I know enough about employment law to know that to claim constructive dismissal you have to:
- have suffered a clear and fundamental breach of contract
- have raised a grievance or resigned FOR THAT REASON and not for any other reason

Ritchie was sold on the 30th January, and Paolo didn't resign until a couple of weeks later, after
- managing the team for another 3 games
- negotiating a new contract with the new board
- lining up a bunch of new load signings

Then he only finally quits when the take-over fails to happen to his deadline, meaning no new contract and no loan signings. This would seem to have been the final straw which forced him to quit, (and there are plenty of media interviews in which he makes that clear) rather than the Ritchie sale.

That significantly undermines any argument that the Ritchie sale was a breach of contract which constituted  constructive dismissal.

That's accepting PDC's word that a clause about players sales is even in his contract, and assuming that an industrial tribunal would consider such a clause to be fundamental enough to be the subject of a CD case, which isn't that certain in my mind.

Exactly...Alan Curbishley won his case of constructive dismissal but it's clear he resigned as a direct result of players being sold behind his back

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/sep/03/westhamunited.premierleague1

Paolo on the other hand seemed to be happy to carry on as long as the club's takeover occurred to his deadline after Ritchie's sale.

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
manc_red

Ignore
« Reply #1021 on: Monday, March 25, 2013, 18:43:09 »

Exactly...Alan Curbishley won his case of constructive dismissal but it's clear he resigned as a direct result of players being sold behind his back

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/sep/03/westhamunited.premierleague1

Paolo on the other hand seemed to be happy to carry on as long as the club's takeover occurred to his deadline after Ritchie's sale.

Thanks for posting that - interesting.

The reference to a breach of "trust and confidence" in Curbishley's statement is deliberate as that is a term implied by common law into all employment contracts regardless of what's in the written agreement. My view, which I think I posted previously, was that simply selling a player behind a managers back wouldn't be enough to breach this term - most of the cases I remember concern things like humiliating an employee in public (sound familiar Paolo?  Smug Fuck Off), harassment, unwarranted demotion etc. If a Director/Owner of a company wants to dispense with the services of an employee and does so without consulting their immediate line manager first then its a poor way to run a business, but ultimately tough shit.

I'd still stand by that, although perhaps with slightly less conviction if that was the basis for Curbishley's successful claim. In his case though it appears that it happened on a number of occasions, and the latter time despite an express assurance to the contrary. That extra element might have been the factor that convinced the ET that the breach was so fundamental as to go to the root of the contract. Paolo's situation appears quite far removed from that, as is well summed up in dalumpimunki's post above, although of course we don't know the full facts.

There also remains the possibility that there could have been a specific written term which has been breached although again, as already mentioned, it would have to be one that went to the root of the contract to amount to constructive dismissal.

And regardless, I'm still not sure I buy this as a reason for being under embargo. Very harsh if it is.
« Last Edit: Monday, March 25, 2013, 19:23:45 by manc_red » Logged
CalRed45

Ignore
« Reply #1022 on: Monday, March 25, 2013, 19:25:30 »

jed has said on twitter on multiple occasions tonight to check for news on tuesday/wednesday... a new version of "advertiser understands" maybe?
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #1023 on: Monday, March 25, 2013, 19:55:33 »

Lets hope so - make no mistake, failure to lift this embargo would cost us promotion.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #1024 on: Monday, March 25, 2013, 19:58:11 »

It may already have doe so
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #1025 on: Monday, March 25, 2013, 20:29:54 »

Lets hope so - make no mistake, failure to lift this embargo would cost us promotion.
Yet more opinion stated as fact.

It's All Good..............
Flashheart

« Reply #1026 on: Monday, March 25, 2013, 20:36:15 »

Yet more opinion stated as fact.

I expect his sources told him.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #1027 on: Monday, March 25, 2013, 21:08:58 »

[url width=768 height=1024]http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x480/tanswell2010/742f8d136e1b9724b0152e98231d2e83.jpg[/url]
kerry red

« Reply #1028 on: Monday, March 25, 2013, 21:15:55 »

Oooooh!
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #1029 on: Monday, March 25, 2013, 21:16:06 »

In the 'Kevin Phillips' mould I am led to believe, and Kenneth McEvoy is the other Spurs player.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #1030 on: Monday, March 25, 2013, 21:18:49 »

I reckon Andrew Black has called in a favour to make up for fucking us over and we're getting Michael Owen.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #1031 on: Monday, March 25, 2013, 21:20:41 »

In the 'Kevin Phillips' mould I am led to believe, and Kenneth McEvoy is the other Spurs player.

It's hardly going to be in the young first teamer is it!

Look up experienced 30+ forwards who cannot get a game in the Prem/Championship and I'm sure the shortlist won't be too long.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #1032 on: Monday, March 25, 2013, 21:21:12 »

The player in question really isn't too far away and had some nice words to say about the club recently...
phelpsieboy

« Reply #1033 on: Monday, March 25, 2013, 21:21:18 »

Kevin Phillips mould being that hes old or the fact that he's pretty good  Cool

If you know please feel free to reveal his identity.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #1034 on: Monday, March 25, 2013, 21:22:34 »

The player in question really isn't too far away and had some nice words to say about the club recently...

Jason Roberts is injured isn't he?
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 ... 76   Go Up
Print
Jump to: