Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: FA Cup draw  (Read 11766 times)
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Sunday, October 21, 2012, 17:24:36 »

The best available side goes out in the final, should they be unlucky enough to reach it. I'm sure you know what we're trying to get at.

They took it seriously before the CL, it's now just another unnecessary fixture

I can see what your point is. But given the sides which reach the semi-finals every year, I don't see how it is at all valid.

Things get better but they never get good
stfcinbmth

« Reply #91 on: Sunday, October 21, 2012, 17:39:01 »

I can see what your point is. But given the sides which reach the semi-finals every year, I don't see how it is at all valid.

It's probably not been my best thought out argument that I've ever put forward. The top four or five have the resources to win it every year without breaking into a sweat. I'm going to concede defeat on this one. I still love it, the early rounds anyway
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Sunday, October 21, 2012, 20:22:26 »

Hard to imagine they beat us 1-0 at there place about a year ago.
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Sunday, October 21, 2012, 20:35:03 »

FA Cup final day used to be such a big thing whether you supported either team or not. Think the tv showing used to start around 11am with the players leaving their hotels and extended coverage of how the two teams reached the final etc. Now it's just more or less straight into the game which I suppose for some is all they want. As a kid I was lucky enough to watch the Sunderland v Leeds final, think it was 1973. To be at a final back then when the FA cup was a big deal was pretty special. I went with friends from Sunderland so enjoyed it even more so.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Sunday, October 21, 2012, 20:40:45 »

stevenage was a nightmare.  when they equalized my dad said something about not looking forward to the replay to which i replied that i doubt there will be one because we'll lose now. 

i was so angry with what was going on on the pitch that day because it was so clear to see that what we needed was for somebody - anybody to just go to the edge of the 18 yard box and accept the ball from digby instead of effectively forcing him to try to play against the wind.  i just couldn't see how hard it was to figure this out on the pitch.  unforgivable performance that day.

i was at histon, can't really remember much about it at all other than the feeling of disappointment in the display.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Sunday, October 21, 2012, 20:48:30 »

I was at Dagenham and Redbridge years back(got beat)....remember us thrashing Kettering away....Tooting and Mitcham was another sorrowfull awayday in the cup for me....i also remember getting beat in the snow at Luton when a young Rideout was superb.
Norwich away with Nestor Lorenzo getting sent off and Norwich away when we shocked them with a brace from Bambi......Fulham away drawing 3-3 after leading 3-1...hammered them in the replay.
I seem to remember a shock away win at a pretty decent Wimbledon side(maybe wrong?)

Just a short list of FA Cup matches i remember away......home ones i seem to remember is Villa,Blackburn who beat us 2-1 i think....or did we beat them 2-1?
Everton of course at home and away.........just remember Spurs away when we dicked them and still managed to lose 2-1.

I love the Cup.
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Sunday, October 21, 2012, 20:51:59 »

Everton= Kenny Stroud  Smiley
Spurs= went to WHL and couldn't get in  Sad
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Sunday, October 21, 2012, 21:11:00 »

The away match at Everton was the first time i had heard a real big noise at a footy match....Goodison rocked when Mckenzie beat us with a late late winner.......think Andy King played in that one Roll Eyes
Crispy
Pink Jumper For Goalpost

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 01:39:57 »

Hard to imagine they beat us 1-0 at there place about a year ago.

2-0 on a Friday night, m6 was closed on the way up and took about 6 hours, fucking shite away day that was last season the cunts.

They've got muslamic rayguns, muslamic rayguns..
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 02:12:54 »

stevenage was a nightmare. i was so angry with what was going on on the pitch that day because it was so clear to see that what we needed was for somebody - anybody to just go to the edge of the 18 yard box and accept the ball from digby instead of effectively forcing him to try to play against the wind.  i just couldn't see how hard it was to figure this out on the pitch.

That was McMahon's fault for not doing something about it. We used to sit pretty close to the dug out and were shouting at him non-stop about it as everyone could see what was going to happen. Except McMahon couldn't and then it did.

Having a defender take the goal kicks would have probably been the best option.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #100 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 10:58:05 »

I seem to remember Histon scoring directly from a throw in and the ref giving the goal before consulting with the lino and the 4th official and then realising that it shouldn't count. Nice stadium though, with smoking areas inside.
Wilf Shergold

« Reply #101 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 12:00:34 »

Tooting and Mitcham was another sorrowfull awayday in the cup for me....

Both games were dire from memory, esp the replay. For a decade then we always seemed to struggle in the cup against non-league teams, even if we won. Beating Hendon 1-0 with a pen, draws with Hitchin and Boreham Wood, struggling to beat Weymouth, Taunton, Sutton.

I liked the cup but the foreign ownership / manager syndrome means too many clubs treat the FA cup like they did the cup in their own countries, a tournament to give the stiffs a run-out. Trouble is these days the squad system means Chelsea / Man Utd etc B teams could hold their own in the Premiership, let alone the lower leagues, so they can progress anyway.

For me the cup has little interest beyond the 3rd Round, once the candlestickmakers etc have been knocked out.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: