Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Any (push) bike geeks  (Read 4649 times)
oxford_fan

Ignore
« on: Thursday, November 4, 2010, 19:10:31 »

...out there?

I do about 65 miles a week on my commute, so am splashing out on a fancy new bicycle, a Trek District:

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/TheOwl_2007/1fed0a4a.jpg

It's pretty much a road bike, single speed (the clunky gears on my Dawes have left me fearing for my nuts), belt drive, and best of all reduced from £750 to £425.

Question is, are Brooks saddles worth the expense? The one that comes with the new bike isn't great and I've heard that the Brooks Swift would be an ideal replacement. At £80-odd I'm tempted to give the one supplied some time to settle in before I invest.

And how about pedals/shoes, I've never worn clip-ons and wonder how good they are?

Also, bus drivers and lorry drivers and taxi drivers and car drivers are utter cunts, particularly the drivers of larger vehicles who see cyclists passing them and pull out anyway.
STFC_Chris
Charlie Croker

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, November 4, 2010, 20:40:17 »

Smart looking bike, single speed seems to be the 'in' thing at the moment.

I got my first road bike in January, after years of owning mountain bikes. I don't think I could ever go back now.

I'd definitely recommend using clipless pedals, it feels so much more efficient. I'm using Look Keo pedals and cleats, which are great - easy to clip in and out. Only downside is the cleats tend to wear down quite quickly, I'm replacing them every 1200-1500miles.

As for the saddle, I've never used a Brooks so can't be much help there. However, several people have told me that 'less is more' when it comes to saddles. A properly fitted road/racing saddle is often every bit as comfortable as the huge, gel padded things - without the inevitable pain in the bum when the gel all settles at the bottom. Get something with a decent size cut out to allow blood to the important bits and you won't go far wrong.
thedarkprince

Hubba-hubba

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, November 4, 2010, 21:08:38 »

Roadies are Lycra-wearing perverts.

As you can probably tell I'm firmly in the mountain bike camp. That said, at the age of 29, I am considering getting a road bike for the commute into work but that's mainly due to my utter contempt for public transport in Devon.
grubby

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, November 4, 2010, 22:03:42 »

OF,
Try a Charge Spoon. They are cheap 20-25 but are very good. I've had 1 for a while now and better than saddles at least twice the price. Go clipless definately. But put them on the easiest to unclip setting until you're used to them or there will be comedy at your expense!!
thedarkprince

Hubba-hubba

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, November 4, 2010, 22:12:18 »

Anyone know of a good commuter bike for under £500?  I keep looking at hybrids but don't know whether to spend a little more and go down the full on road bike route.  Definitely going to be needing some gears though... nowhere near fit enough for single speed.

Give the saddle that comes with it a go first but if you don't get on with it then take a look at a Fizik saddles.  I have a mtb one and it's lasted me years and still nice and comfortable.
grubby

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, November 4, 2010, 22:22:43 »

Boarman hybirds are really good value new. Even better value down the ebay route. there are a couple of boardman pro's on there at the moment at good prices. If you get 1 from Halfords new make sure you get someone to check over the build though as they are very hit and miss at doing the bolts up!
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, November 4, 2010, 22:41:23 »

Saddle - Wear padded shorts.

Clip on shoes - You get so much more power.

Don't understand going for a single gear unless your commute is flat all the way?

I bought a nicely spec'ed Trek mountain bike in the US about 6 years ago. Cost me about £250 for what was a £850 bike!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, May 28, 2012, 19:13:19 »

Bump.

Anyone got any experiences of using Hargroves Cycles in Swindon?

In the market for a new MTB to replace my ageing (nearly 20 year old) Trek MTB. Quite fancy a Cube Analog.
walcot red

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, May 28, 2012, 19:50:12 »

See if your company do a cycle to work scheme you can get up to about £1k to spend on a bike, it'll come out your wages and its tax free. I've also heard that you can upto about 10% worth of the bike and spend it on accessiories not to sure if the last bit is bullshit though
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, May 28, 2012, 20:10:53 »

They do! However, it'll be a push convincing them that I'll commute 25 miles each way every day....

Apparently Hargroves honour a significant discount which my employer offers (different from CTW) and I'll have a lump sum to spend once I shift the unwanted car on my drive.

It'll only get used for leisure, light trail use, dragging a three and a bit year old in a trailer and the occasional stupid charity ride.....
thedarkprince

Hubba-hubba

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, May 28, 2012, 20:16:49 »

They do! However, it'll be a push convincing them that I'll commute 25 miles each way every day....

A few nutters at the place where I work commute 40 miles each way. Nut jobs the lot of 'em.

stfcinbmth

« Reply #11 on: Monday, May 28, 2012, 20:18:57 »

A few nutters at the place where I work commute 40 miles each way. Nut jobs the lot of 'em.

On a treader?
thedarkprince

Hubba-hubba

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, May 28, 2012, 20:21:35 »

On a treader?

What the fuck is a treader?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, May 28, 2012, 20:24:05 »

What the fuck is a treader?

Ship in Narnia...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, May 28, 2012, 20:26:34 »

Indeed. Not quite at that level but there are a couple that do 20-25 each way (Bussage to Chippenham for example). And we aren't talking about spring chickens.

I agree roadees are weird, dodgy lycra in dodgy designs (skeleton, black tie, etc).

I've just started trying to do a bit on an old 2001 Marin Muirwoods MB. Only manage to get 11 miles in or so at a lunch hour, Chippenham->nearly Calne down the cycle path trail (I guess its old railway line). On my rides last week  I have seen cows, sheep, a pheasant, a dog rolling in cow poo and a 'distressed' owner, some rabbits and a kestrel. Beats tarmac and grass verge Smiley

After running 3 miles it take a few days to stop walking with a limp thanks to my dodgy knee. After cycling 11 miles my knee feels better than when I got on the bike. I declare cycling the new running.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: