Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dave Bassett too?  (Read 4649 times)
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« on: Sunday, May 21, 2006, 10:26:55 »

According to this Sunday's People, Wise has asked Bassett to 'come and be his mentor at Swindon. Bassett is giving the situation some hard thought and described Swindon as 'a good little club'. Route one football anybody?
STFC Village

« Reply #1 on: Sunday, May 21, 2006, 10:28:03 »

:| I hope you made that up

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, May 21, 2006, 11:02:20 »

that would be superb,basset has vast experience and could work wonders with the youth set up here
kaufman

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, May 21, 2006, 11:08:40 »

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/tm_objectid=17109077%26method=full%26siteid=93463%26headline=bassett%2dcall%2dis%2da%2dwise%2dmove%2d-name_page.html

there you go

BASSETT CALL IS A WISE MOVE
DENNIS WISE wants Dave Bassett, his old Wimbledon boss, to help him at Swindon after taking charge of the newly-relegated League Two club, writes ALAN BIGGS.

Bassett, who helped Wise at Millwall, is thinking over the move but is likely to accept. He said: "Dennis would like me to help with the coaching and act as a bit of a mentor."

Bassett believes Wise, pictured, has shown his determination to succeed by dropping into the basement, having led Millwall to their first ever FA Cup final appearance in his first spell as a boss.

Bassett added: "Swindon are a good little club and this is a chance for him to show he can take them forward, build up his career and get his A and Pro licence badges."
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, May 21, 2006, 11:21:00 »

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF  :-))(
STFC Village

« Reply #5 on: Sunday, May 21, 2006, 11:21:27 »

Oh good :|
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, May 21, 2006, 11:25:28 »

hmmm  :?
kaufman

« Reply #7 on: Sunday, May 21, 2006, 11:26:54 »

at least our players will be fit and i think we could have a team that for the first time in god knows how long will be organised.

the long ball game like wimbledon and cambridge played has been and gone i think really.

yes it is still used but in a different way i guess . bolton do it very well but can still play it on the ground when needed.

i think its gret news as it looks as though we are actually getting a new structure within in the club straight away
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, May 21, 2006, 11:34:53 »

Thinking about it, at the start of last season, we had a 3 man mangement set up of King, Reeeeeeves and Iffy.   Reeeeeeeeves was still on a playing contract as well.

All that funding is now available for this new set up.+ presumably the extra from SSW.

On paper it looks good,  at least folk round these parts now how to say Baaaaaaaasett.
kaufman

« Reply #9 on: Sunday, May 21, 2006, 11:42:22 »

i was thinking about this and have we really had "a style of play" over the past few years?

with macari he started with the long ball which got us out of the bottom 2 leagues and then he bought better players who could pass and do more with the ball.

ardiles took over and of course passing wise was probably the best i have seen a swindon team in my time

hoddle took over and combined the passing with strong runners and at times direct balls down the channel for mitchell and maskell to run onto

but since then apart from maybe the season with mooney and parkin which basically got us there have we had a team where everyone knows their job?.

i think that with this new set we could have that organisation and commitment we have been looking for

in fairness i missed alot of games during the first few years after the millenium but from what i heard and saw it was as if we just made do with what we had.

discuss  Soapy Tit Wank

(edit) and yes i seem to remember alot of long balls being played this season just gone but like someone else had just said if it is applied properly then it can be very effective. as long as we have wise and the rest of the midfield playing it about too then that is cool with me.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, May 21, 2006, 11:49:39 »

kaufman,you have got it spot on.we have had no style of football for years unless shit is a category
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, May 21, 2006, 11:49:39 »

Thought we played hoof ball anyway, so at least we are trying to get someone who knows how to do it properly Smiley

In all seriousness that bit of added experience might be a very good thing if it comes off. Can't see Basett staying too long if an opertuniy comes up, but to help with the initial job in hand would be useful.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, May 21, 2006, 11:52:43 »

Quote from: "kaufman"
i was thinking about this and have we really had "a style of play" over the past few years?

Spot on, that has been one of our major problems in my opinion this season. We dont dictate play.

If we get and ugly scrappy long ball team down at the County Ground we seem to drop to their level, play their game and get out hoofed!

When we've come up against decent passing sides we seem to get dragged up to their level and pass the ball about a bit.

The way we play always seems to related to how our opposition are playing, we dont dictate play.....
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, May 21, 2006, 12:07:50 »

This has to be a good thing I would say.  I dare say we will see a bit of the old 'up and under' (you need a bit of that at div 4 level) but I think little diddy Dennis will want to pass it a bit as well.

It's a good mixture of styles IMO and Harry's vast range of experience will be invluable I'm sure.
my-velocity

« Reply #14 on: Sunday, May 21, 2006, 12:58:30 »

He could be Youth coach as Woany is going, now who'll success Mackey in the physio role.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: