Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The world's gone PC mad.  (Read 12752 times)
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Friday, December 23, 2011, 16:03:04 »

I prefer to go with the opinions of my black friends .So oxford fan,are you saying i should listen to you instead? Who decided when 'coloured' was wrong.It's clearly a personal thing because like i say i know people who are not offended

Your "black friends"....not your coloured friends?

I'm just telling you why he has apologised, or been made to. It is obivous, as you say, that some people will be offended by some words and others not in the least bit bothered.

But 'coloured' is not a term which is socially acceptable any more. If I heard someone use the word in a pub I'd wonder what colour they were talking about and also think they were a little bit ignorant and backward. Things change, language changes, fucking deal with it.

The point is, and it illustrates what I'm saying, if Hansen had talked about 'mixed race' or 'black' footballers then he wouldn't have needed to apologise. I'm not in the least bit offended by what Hansen said, I can just see why he apologised for using language which is pretty much redundant.

It's obviously not one person who decides this about language, and its certainly not me but thanks for the mention, but collective opinion. If you don't know why 'coloured' is a nonsense and offensive word, read this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6132672.stm

I like Gareth's bit in the office about it too:

"My dad, for example, he's not as cosmopolitan or as educated as me and it can be embarrasing you know. He doesn't understand all the new trendy words - like he'll say 'poofs' instead of 'gays', 'birds' instead of 'women', 'darkies' instead of 'coloureds'."

If you want to be like Gareth is, just don't adapt and you'll look as stupid as him.

And anyone who thinks this has anything to do with "getting a fucking life" or "getting laid" is a fucking moron. Anyone who can't understand why Hansen apologised is probably a racist, or really fucking stupid, or both.
« Last Edit: Friday, December 23, 2011, 16:10:46 by oxford_fan » Logged
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Friday, December 23, 2011, 16:08:44 »

And the comments below the BBC article are pretty much perfect too, especially this one:

When I was growing up in the 70s, "coloured" was considered by my white, middle-class demographic as the polite word for dark-skinned persons. To call someone "black", which is preferred by many people now, was extremely rude. In adulthood I see that we had this backwards, but it was well-intentioned. I sympathise a little with Mr Jenkin, as this minefield is being constantly re-laid. For Labour to take such gleeful advantage is shabby. But he does need to keep up. I understand why "coloured" is seen as offensive now and certainly wouldn't use it myself.
Rob Stradling, Cardiff
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #77 on: Friday, December 23, 2011, 16:11:50 »

Oh fucking hell. I'm, a good old fashioned lefty but I'm fuking sick of this pious "I'm offended for you" bollox.  I'm bloody inclined to start calling people sambo or whatever on the basis that whatever I say, someone will be offended. I might as well know i'm offending someone rather than crap myself that I might have.
DRS

« Reply #78 on: Friday, December 23, 2011, 16:37:04 »

Your "black friends"....not your coloured friends?

I'm just telling you why he has apologised, or been made to. It is obivous, as you say, that some people will be offended by some words and others not in the least bit bothered.

But 'coloured' is not a term which is socially acceptable any more. If I heard someone use the word in a pub I'd wonder what colour they were talking about and also think they were a little bit ignorant and backward. Things change, language changes, fucking deal with it.

The point is, and it illustrates what I'm saying, if Hansen had talked about 'mixed race' or 'black' footballers then he wouldn't have needed to apologise. I'm not in the least bit offended by what Hansen said, I can just see why he apologised for using language which is pretty much redundant.

It's obviously not one person who decides this about language, and its certainly not me but thanks for the mention, but collective opinion. If you don't know why 'coloured' is a nonsense and offensive word, read this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6132672.stm

I like Gareth's bit in the office about it too:

If you want to be like Gareth is, just don't adapt and you'll look as stupid as him.

And anyone who thinks this has anything to do with "getting a fucking life" or "getting laid" is a fucking moron. Anyone who can't understand why Hansen apologised is probably a racist, or really fucking stupid, or both.
You may want to tell the thousands of members of this organization then that they are 'a little bit ignorant and backward

I am sure they will be sure to listen

http://www.naacp.org/
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Friday, December 23, 2011, 16:39:47 »

You may want to tell the thousands of members of this organization then that they are 'a little bit ignorant and backward

I am sure they will be sure to listen

http://www.naacp.org/
Again, at the bottom of the BBC article:

Don't be confused by the use of "colored" in NAACP. The organization's name goes back to the time when "colored" was respectful and civilized in comparison to other vocabulary used. In modern US-usage? Hugely offensive and racist.
Heidi, Washington DC
DRS

« Reply #80 on: Friday, December 23, 2011, 16:47:11 »

Again, at the bottom of the BBC article:

Sorry you have the cheek to call me a daily mail reader but are giving me bbc links? Yes i saw that at the bottom which is one comment, i am using that site to echo my point that not all black people find the word 'coloured' offensive which is what my original point was.

As i said some people find mixed race offensive,that's not daily mail bullshit that is from people i know.

You personally may think the term coloured is offensive but as i said i know coloured/black people who don't.I think the best way to sum it up is that it is old fashioned but not really offensive unless saying it in a nasty way

We can go round in circles here but what i take exeption to is being called thick or racist because i don't have the same thoughts as you on the matter
« Last Edit: Friday, December 23, 2011, 16:49:16 by DRS » Logged
Only Me

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Friday, December 23, 2011, 17:14:37 »

Man alive. This one is fantastic. Fast forward to 41 seconds. Unbelieveable....

I used to love that programme !!!!
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Friday, December 23, 2011, 17:35:18 »

I only know one black person and that's only cos I used to work with him.His names Norm but on Facebook he's called Lynx.

Why do black people hate me so much?Am I a victim of fat and uglyism?

/
W56196272
Navyred stfc

« Reply #83 on: Friday, December 23, 2011, 17:36:58 »

Oh fucking hell. I'm, a good old fashioned lefty but I'm fuking sick of this pious "I'm offended for you" bollox.  I'm bloody inclined to start calling people sambo or whatever on the basis that whatever I say, someone will be offended. I might as well know i'm offending someone rather than crap myself that I might have.

We hate the left
We love the right
That Paolo DI Canio
Makes O***** look shite

Bring on March, we should be twenty points clear of them by then, anyway hello everyone (Oxford fan from FF.net?) I'd just like to say I've got no time for PC types, no time for racists, no time for o*****, that is all Suicide

oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Friday, December 23, 2011, 17:46:50 »

i am using that site to echo my point that not all black people find the word 'coloured' offensive which is what my original point was.

Its a pretty fucking obvious point. But using your statement:

1. Not all black people find the word 'coloured' offensive.
2. The majority probably do.
3. Hansen was right to apologise.

Right?

You personally may think the term coloured is offensive

It really doesn't matter what I personally believe. I am not offended by the word 'coloured', but I recognise that it comes from the ideology of racism, that white people are white, and everyone else is somehow coloured. I recognise that a large proportion of the people of whom it is used to describe do find it offensive for those reasons. It is a word that is nonsense, not fit for purpose, factually incorrect, and old fashioned.

I think the best way to sum it up is that it is old fashioned but not really offensive unless saying it in a nasty way

Agreed my niggah.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Friday, December 23, 2011, 17:56:14 »

We hate the left
We love the right
That Paolo DI Canio
Makes O***** look shite

Bring on March, we should be twenty points clear of them by then, anyway hello everyone (Oxford fan from FF.net?) I'd just like to say I've got no time for PC types, no time for racists, no time for o*****, that is all Suicide

neville's gonna get ya!
sheepshagger
Suburban Capitalist........

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Friday, December 23, 2011, 18:15:56 »

So according to our resident friend from down the A420 I must fucking deal with it, I am fucking stupid and a racist

And all because I think something different from him

What a prick !

My friends who are from Afro Caribbean backgrounds are also obviously wrong according to his tiny little closed mind.....

It might be Christmas - but fuck off please........   

Wise men say........
Navyred stfc

« Reply #87 on: Friday, December 23, 2011, 18:24:00 »

So according to our resident friend from down the A420 I must fucking deal with it, I am fucking stupid and a racist

And all because I think something different from him

What a prick !

My friends who are from Afro Caribbean backgrounds are also obviously wrong according to his tiny little closed mind.....

It might be Christmas - but fuck off please........   

We dont have any friends down the A420, both ends
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Friday, December 23, 2011, 18:34:58 »

Your contribution to the discussion so far, aside from calling me a prick and telling me to fuck off, has been to tell people to "get a fucking life" and "get laid".

If you've nothing of worth to contribute then take your own advice.

So according to friend from down the A420 I am fucking stupid and a racist

Only if you still can't understand why Hansen apologised. I'll take that as an admission.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Friday, December 23, 2011, 18:47:25 »

It's interesting that you think referring to someone as coloured is racist, but referring to them as Black is OK.

On that basis, what is your take on the John Terry incident?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: