Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ifil on trial with Aberdeen today  (Read 26217 times)
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Sunday, August 9, 2009, 20:56:06 »

What happened with Ifil's family? I must have missed it when it happened as I don't recall anything.
lambourn red

« Reply #106 on: Sunday, August 9, 2009, 21:44:28 »

What happened with Ifil's family? I must have missed it when it happened as I don't recall anything.

His wife got racially abused during a game when Malpas was in charge by some knucklehead he got chucked out but the whole incident was a bit unsavioury, I cant remember what game it was but Jerel had made a couple of mistakes the guy was slating him big time with some pretty nasty comments and then i dont know what happened but something must have been said and then he started on his wife.
Talk Talk

« Reply #107 on: Sunday, August 9, 2009, 21:48:01 »

I love Jerel. I want him on my mantelpiece just so I can admire his thighs in the privacy of my own home.

On another note I always thought that he tried as hard as he could for Town to the best of his abilities and fair play for that. Shite managers and coaches aside he deserves a lot of respect.

Good luck Jerel and best wishes.
carbonwhite

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Sunday, August 9, 2009, 21:51:15 »

he shut jermaine defoe and leroy lita out of the games they played against us he was a great man marker gd luck to him if he does go
glos_robin

« Reply #109 on: Sunday, August 9, 2009, 21:57:17 »

If he does go good luck to him, he's been through the good, but mostly bad times with us.

All I will say is that our defence needs some pace in it, if it isn't Ifil that is going to inject that pace then I hope Wilson is more successful getting a replacement for him than he has been sorting out strikers. We just can't play Greer and Morrison together against pacy attacks as even the worst long balls become threatening. I still don't think Morrison is ready to be a first choice centre back and to be honest I think his complete lack of pace will see him spend the majority of career in this league as football is increasingly becoming a game for athletes as much as talent.
Also with Greer having a history of long term injuries as well we really need to ensure we have adequate cover at the back.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Sunday, August 9, 2009, 21:59:46 »

on his day jerel can be one of the best central defenders at this level. unfortunately, his day comes around once or twice a season.

then again, if he could consistently perform at that level he wouldn't be playing at swindon town
lambourn red

« Reply #111 on: Sunday, August 9, 2009, 22:07:02 »

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=4&fid=27&sty=2&act=1&mid=2125056700

looks like Sturrock has nicked a couple of Aberdeen trialists and they are predicting he will nick Ifil, one says he saw him play last week in a friendly against plymouth last week so might know about him. i think I might register and tell the thick fuckers he was his manager for 2 years soapy tit wank
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Sunday, August 9, 2009, 22:08:31 »

Jerel certainly made a big impression on McGhee,judging by his quotes after the game against Hull.

"This display does not get that European tie out of my head, that's for sure.

"I know for a fact that we are nowhere near as bad as those results suggest and, if we had been able to include someone like Jerel Ifil at the heart of our defence in those games, we wouldn't have had those beatings.

"Jerel looked so impressive on trial for us against Hull, and I really do feel he would have made a difference in the European ties.

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
lambourn red

« Reply #113 on: Sunday, August 9, 2009, 22:13:02 »

another comment from an Aberdeen fan who went
Just in from the match to with MMC. Good accurate report hulldon. The o.g from Gardner was a cracker off a great cross by Aluko. Second half was a different story from the first. We looked alot more dangerous with the trialists, yes - trialists!!!
Our support sang and bounced through the whole match and deano almost scored with his second touch of the ball with a volley from 12 yrds which was cleared from just inside the 6yrd box.
The 2 centre back trialists looked well up for it but IFIL was by far inho our best player today. He won EVERY header, challenged for everything and only gave the ball away once.

Not bad for a Turd considering it was only against Premier League opposition he would not have handled the mighty Gills though!! Sad
« Last Edit: Sunday, August 9, 2009, 22:14:49 by lambourn red » Logged
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: Sunday, August 9, 2009, 22:50:17 »

I reckon he would do really well on trial for anyone and he'd be great if we could afford a defender to man mark a sole person all game every game.  You see, it's when he doesn't have to think about the game and be a team player that he does really well.  It's why he's always needed someone next to him to talk him through a game and I thought Greer could do it, but he completely lost hsi way last year.

If he knows he's on trial he's probably focussing really hard on just doing the basics.

If he could only have grown up as a player we could have sold him on for some good money by now.

Not sure what Morrison has done to warrant being the new focus of lets destroy a teens career nice an early at Town syndrome.  Most clubs like seeing youth players make it, don't they?  Lets be honest, if Premier League scouts fancy him then he has something.  Central defenders do not need lots of pace, very few in the Premier League have (Terry is hardly a greyhound), because good defences work as a unit.  If pace was all you needed to succeed then Earnshaw should have been banging them in against players like Terry, Vidic, Dunne, Woodgate, Dawson, Hangelaand etc etc etc.  Yes, athletes seem to be the en vouge way for midfielders and forwards and full backs, but good old fashioned centre halves exist the world over still.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #115 on: Monday, August 10, 2009, 00:22:06 »

Long balls over the top can be countered with a good defensive line and aerial ability. Through balls by closing down through the midfield. It sounds like none of that happened.

Regarding Ifil's pace, it's a good attribute to have. But look at Mark Marshall, bags of pace and no end product. McNamee is often criticised for having lots of tricks but no end product. McGovern doesn't have any pace but can supposedly whip in a decent cross if he somehow find the space.

The point being is that Ifil has pace, can tackle but he often loses his head and goes missing. His pace alone will not make him a good defender and sort out our defensive problems (from one very poor game). Rob is spot on in that respect and that's really what I meant earlier when I said he was shit. Clearly I overexaggerated because the even though he was pants last season he'll be the answer to all our defensive problems argument is pretty weak and winds me up.
glos_robin

« Reply #116 on: Monday, August 10, 2009, 07:26:00 »

Long balls over the top can be countered with a good defensive line and aerial ability. Through balls by closing down through the midfield. It sounds like none of that happened.
Sorry but you have to have some kind of pace in the defence, if it isn't the centre backs then it needs to come fromt he full backs. I'm not saying Ifil is the answer, far from it in fact but if your back line is slower than sunday morning driver then your going to hit problems. We saw it with Viveash and Reeves, and we've seen it on Saturday, there needs to be at least one person in the back 4 who can keep up with the majority of attackers. Morrison and Greer are both very similar and I think that is the problem, everyone says you can't have very similar players up front and I'm saying you can't at the back either.
Only time will tell but if Morrison and Greer are to be our first choice centre backs then we need some pace either side of them.
lambourn red

« Reply #117 on: Monday, August 10, 2009, 07:35:08 »

Sorry but you have to have some kind of pace in the defence, if it isn't the centre backs then it needs to come fromt he full backs. I'm not saying Ifil is the answer, far from it in fact but if your back line is slower than sunday morning driver then your going to hit problems. We saw it with Viveash and Reeves, and we've seen it on Saturday, there needs to be at least one person in the back 4 who can keep up with the majority of attackers. Morrison and Greer are both very similar and I think that is the problem, everyone says you can't have very similar players up front and I'm saying you can't at the back either.
Only time will tell but if Morrison and Greer are to be our first choice centre backs then we need some pace either side of them.

That is exactly the point I am trying to make, Morrison and Greer are both slow against certain teams that may not be a problem but against a pacey forward line we will get murdered week in week out. I just hope Cuthbert when he is back to full fitness is a bit quicker than either of those two as at least it gives us an option without Ifil.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #118 on: Monday, August 10, 2009, 08:06:44 »

Put Amankwaah at right back then, he's been decent there, certainly got better than when he first joined. Or we could opt for Casal at right back, he's got a bit of pace about him.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #119 on: Monday, August 10, 2009, 08:08:50 »

then again, if he could consistently perform at that level he wouldn't be playing at swindon town

You'll be wrong about that soon  Grin

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: