Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Luke Williams  (Read 30369 times)
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2015, 09:45:48 »

Not really odd, just extremely optimistic.  I don't know if financially Barnsley are in a good way because that could be the only reason they thought they may have a chance of luring him away to a poor side from a very good one who have a good chance of reaching the championship.

Never knowingly overstated.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2015, 09:56:38 »

Barnsley only average 1300 more fans a game then we do. I'd be a bit surprised if that would be enough to tempt an ambitious manager.

I didn't think they had minted owner, surly you'd go somewhere that could fund your ambition.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2015, 10:09:07 »

Jed tried to buy Barnsley
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2015, 10:18:41 »

Barnsley only average 1300 more fans a game then we do. I'd be a bit surprised if that would be enough to tempt an ambitious manager.

I didn't think they had minted owner, surly you'd go somewhere that could fund your ambition.

The fact that that Barnsley average that many more than we do would seem to dispel any ideas that we are a 'big club'.
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2015, 10:22:12 »

The fact that that Barnsley average that many more than we do would seem to dispel any ideas that we are a 'big club'.

We know we aren't a big club
OTIB told me so
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2015, 10:32:49 »

But they are just above the relegation zone and have come down from the Championship so imagine if they were doing well in the division, I would guess they would get 12-14k through the door if they were in the upper echelons of the league. We struggle to get 10k at home when top!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2015, 10:36:53 »

maybe. but is that enough of a jump? if they were in the championship is be more concerned.

this isn't a 'not big club' thing, it's just an 'are they more attractive' thing.

they could of course just offer to double cooper's wages, which is a test of any sane man Smiley
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2015, 10:40:48 »

I don't get this fixation on being a 'big club' anyway.

Seems a bit ridiculous to me. You see all over social media people arguing about who's the bigger club....

Does anyone genuinely give a fuck? Does it actually mean anything?

Roaming the land while you sleep..
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2015, 10:43:46 »

I don't get this fixation on being a 'big club' anyway.

Seems a bit ridiculous to me. You see all over social media people arguing about who's the bigger club....

Does anyone genuinely give a fuck? Does it actually mean anything?

I do sometimes lead on here that some seem to think that we are some manner of sleeping giant...

That was the point I was trying to make badly, the fact that our average crowd is a fair percentage lower than that footballing powerhouse of Barnsley suggests that perhaps we are roundabout the level our support can sustain?
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2015, 10:44:13 »

maybe. but is that enough of a jump? if they were in the championship is be more concerned.

this isn't a 'not big club' thing, it's just an 'are they more attractive' thing.

they could of course just offer to double cooper's wages, which is a test of any sane man Smiley

its all hearsay as to which club is more attractive than another I would say.

Personally i'd be surprised if Cooper wanted to move from a potential league 1 championship winning side to a team struggling at the bottom. That said, who is to say that next season we could be swapping places in league 1 (assuming we don't go up).

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2015, 10:46:03 »

I do sometimes lead on here that some seem to think that we are some manner of sleeping giant...

That was the point I was trying to make badly, the fact that our average crowd is a fair percentage lower than that footballing powerhouse of Barnsley suggests that perhaps we are roundabout the level our support can sustain?

Girl Giggle Girl Giggle

Roaming the land while you sleep..
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2015, 10:52:57 »

but he can't 'wait and see', he would have to decide now.

i take your point though, personally I'd think there is a high risk for us next season either way. we all know the championship is a struggle. we all know there will be a high turnover of players stating in league 1...
----

I don't agree with horlock. our crowds do suggest we are at our level. but I think it is possible to move to the next level and get the crowds to match.

reading, Swansea,  etc,etc used to have shit crowds. look at them now. whether we could emulate that in our current state I very much doubt mind. they had massive investment.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2015, 10:59:15 »

but he can't 'wait and see', he would have to decide now.

i take your point though, personally I'd think there is a high risk for us next season either way. we all know the championship is a struggle. we all know there will be a high turnover of players stating in league 1...
----

I don't agree with horlock. our crowds do suggest we are at our level. but I think it is possible to move to the next level and get the crowds to match.

reading, Swansea,  etc,etc used to have shit crowds. look at them now. whether we could emulate that in our current state I very much doubt mind. they had massive investment.

I don't disagree with you, we could emulate Chelsea with suitable investment - I just don't see where its coming from and thus in our own little self sustaining way I am not sure where we go.

The examples you have raised have moved/developed due to massive external investment, either from the Council (no hope) or a wealthy lunatic (possibly some hope one day), which then possibly creates a new level of sustainability. Whilst the wealthy fan approach could work here sadly I cannot see it working on the CG site as the Council aren't going to accept a great increase of income from the asset without hoisting the rent up accordingly.

I have always thought that 'our level' is probably bottom half of league two and top half of league three with a cheeky little flirt up or down every so often just to keep it interesting.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2015, 11:34:48 »

I think we agree then.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2015, 12:16:43 »

I think we agree then.

No never!  Cheesy
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up