Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New ground  (Read 11028 times)
Talk Talk

« Reply #60 on: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 22:03:58 »

So are you not following the conversation?

I've said already the 80's were poor for us, as we the times the club were going through, and it picked up slowly with the change of chairman.

Erm, he posted mainly the 90's me old polystyrene.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #61 on: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 22:07:55 »

Talk Talk are you trying to tell me that the years 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995 and 1996 didn't take place during the 1980's?

Pfft, don't believe it for a second Smiley
(.)Boobies(.)

« Reply #62 on: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 22:15:37 »

Show us your (.)Boobies(.)

You sound fit, what you wearing?
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 22:16:51 »

Denim.
Talk Talk

« Reply #64 on: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 22:17:41 »

You sound fit, what you wearing?

http://thetownend.com/index.php/topic,37722.0.html
(.)Boobies(.)

« Reply #65 on: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 22:18:07 »

Erm, he posted mainly the 90's me old polystyrene.

And as said, the move to the Madejski was a big factor in consistant growth in attendances. We moved into the Madstad 12 years ago (1998 as you clearly can't do numbers, my old polystyrene)

So, if you want to go down this route, please post up yours and our attendances from 1998 to 2009.

Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #66 on: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 22:24:16 »

Have you got plastic titties?
Rustle
Prediction League Champion 2012/13

TEF World Cup Stunners Champion 2010

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 22:45:14 »

Whatever you say about the reading's fans being plastic,It's something i would like to see here if it generates the cash to be able to do what reading have done like build an academy etc,so they can bring young talent through.

We need the support to keep the club stable,whether it's plastic or not we all know times have changed and football has changed.Im afraid some of the old school can't accept that tho.Im kind of envious of what reading has done even tho it kills me to say that,and i hope one day we can achieve what they have done.

Im afraid the days of the true hardcore fan's keeping the clubs alive are dead along with a lot of the old traditional grounds.

So in reality like it or not plastic fans are needed.

Elm park was a shithole as was the manor but i have to say i loved going to both in the good old day's.
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 22:54:25 »

I have  never doubted that since madjeski ploughed in his millions, loads of fans came out of the woodwork, what i was stating was until your new stadium you always had smaller crowds than us. ALWAYS. Historically you're tin pot.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 22:59:58 »

Whatever you say about the reading's fans being plastic,It's something i would like to see here if it generates the cash to be able to do what reading have done like build an academy etc,so they can bring young talent through.

We need the support to keep the club stable,whether it's plastic or not we all know times have changed and football has changed.Im afraid some of the old school can't accept that tho.Im kind of envious of what reading has done even tho it kills me to say that,and i hope one day we can achieve what they have done.

Im afraid the days of the true hardcore fan's keeping the clubs alive are dead along with a lot of the old traditional grounds.

Elm park was a shithole as was the manor but i have to say i loved going to both in the good old day's.

Hopefully, when we come to redevelop the ground we do keep some of the 'character' and history of the current CG. It would be great to think we could still look on the pitch and think that it's the same pitch, location where all the legends of the past paid. This would keep the memories of the hard core loyals but they're down to the 6500 we get for the lower teams in the league at the moment.

Another, advantage of staying at the CG is if we redevelop piecemeal we can gradually ramp up the capacity to match the support we're getting or league we are in, I'm sure for the Leeds game we could have sold a another 1,000 to 1,500 tickerts at least. A new Statton Bank & Townend first and then the Arkells and DRS at a later stage. The disadvantage is you lose the 'Big Bank' that Reading had when they moved (although the gate dropped by about 4 or 5000 the 2nd home game after they moved to the Madejski)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 23:48:44 »

The one thing I suppose is true, build a bigger more comfortable ground and the attendance will go up. It happened at Reading and it happened at Southampton. I do laugh at the arrogance that comes with some "fans" who easily forget the old days, and suddenly think they are a massive club..........you just have a bigger ground than you had before. Bye
(.)Boobies(.)

« Reply #71 on: Friday, February 19, 2010, 08:59:35 »

Again, a terrific post.

That's the difference, it's not that any new fans should be labelled plastic, the game has just changed and it's like going to the theatre now. I hate it, many do, but that's football today. Nice shiny stadium, nice facilities, food and drink at your seat..

With new grounds comes new fans. People that were put off by the rough and tumble of what was terracing, and rusty roofs now bring their kids to games. So yes, in one respect we (like everyone) had some plastics as you like to call them, but the attendances have continued to grow from 2000 and to me that says they aren't actually plastic. Plastic for me is fair weather support, and to an extent, we all have that.

As previously said, your crowds should top 10000 soon. But where have they been this last few years? Is that plastic? Fickle? Fair weather?

What ever it is, every club has them!

If being a new fan makes you plastic, then we were all plastic at some point.

I loved Elm Park, it was a shit hole, but it was our shit hole. Like you and TCG  Wink

Thankfully your club seems to be going in the right direction again, and hopefully the redevelopment at your place will spearhead brighter days for your club and once again a stint in the Premiership.
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Friday, February 19, 2010, 09:42:27 »

Growing attendances is exciting and playing in a packed out ground is better than playing in a half full one. BUT if I had the choice between staying an old style ground such as the CG with a rowdier atmosphere and sitting down in a brand new stadium with a more sanitised vibe as (.) boobies (.) describes I would choose the old style ground.

Thankfully as some one said the coice is not that clear cut and hopefully we can have our cake and eat it by redeveloping the CG bit by bit, keeping the great location and the old school atmosphere AND increasing the capacity and attendances.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Friday, February 19, 2010, 16:07:41 »

So, let me get this straight.

Reading, got a new stadium spent a fair bit of money improving their team and then their crowds went up.

Fuck me, astounding that is.

Get relegated, go into administration, spend best part of 10 years in this division and then see what attendances you get Smiley

On the flip side, we'll get a new stadium, get promoted and see what crowds we can pull in!
iffy

« Reply #74 on: Friday, February 19, 2010, 22:00:07 »

I am completely and utterly indifferent to Reading. It's like having a rivalry with Eurodisney.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: