Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 24   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: who are you voting in the euro elections?  (Read 39418 times)
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, June 4, 2009, 10:43:47 »

No one really gives a toss who gets elected in the Euro elections and to a lesser degree the council elections, so a lot of people use them solely to send a message to the main parties, then vote properly in general elections. But it does kind of work, if UKIP get a lot of votes the main parties will veer more towards anti Europe policies. The same with the BNP, if they get votes the main party will veer towards policies such as tightening immigration.

For everyone voting UKIP its worth pointing out that they are pretty much a splinter party from the Tories. If they get a lot of votes and go more Euro sceptic, its quite possible that people will start switching back (candidates and voters) to the Tories. In effect its almost a vote for the Tories as they are the only real anti Europe party.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #31 on: Thursday, June 4, 2009, 10:51:58 »

I think you're right about the message thing Jonny and that's what I didn't explain very well in my original post, I didn't want to vote to simply send a message out there otherwise I'd have just voted for the Green Party.

I was considering not voting at all because the Euro Parliament isn't very meaningful but an extra vote for BNP opposition would be a moral victory. A few parties have some very scary 'facts' and propaganda which have wound me up. BNP using dead war heroes to justify their fascist views was the most notable example.
Phil_S

Who changed my Avatar ?!

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, June 4, 2009, 11:00:12 »

Two very good points. I will vote UKIP mainly to show that I am not happy with the TORY position on Europe.
In the next General Election I would vote Tory because the first past the post system means the smaller fringe parties stand no chance.
Hopefully the results will encourage the Tories to be more euro sceptic.
What I want is a common market, which is what we voted for when last given the chance. I'd rather pull out all together now that it has gone further than that.
History shows that all artificially created unions never last & eventually break apart usually through direct action by the people/ war. I know that may seem far fetched when talking about the EU, but it has happened that way in virtually all cases. (The former Yugoslavia,  Eastern Block, & British Empire being the latest examples)

From the Dark Side
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, June 4, 2009, 11:15:00 »

Two very good points. I will vote UKIP mainly to show that I am not happy with the TORY position on Europe.
In the next General Election I would vote Tory because the first past the post system means the smaller fringe parties stand no chance.
Hopefully the results will encourage the Tories to be more euro sceptic.
What I want is a common market, which is what we voted for when last given the chance. I'd rather pull out all together now that it has gone further than that.
History shows that all artificially created unions never last & eventually break apart usually through direct action by the people/ war. I know that may seem far fetched when talking about the EU, but it has happened that way in virtually all cases. (The former Yugoslavia,  Eastern Block, & British Empire being the latest examples)

Valid points Phil, and that is why I voted UKIP this morning.

The EU are a bunch of hypocrites. They go on about green issues, yet twice a month, they transfer everything to Strasbourg so France can be the head of the EU. What a waste of money.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, June 4, 2009, 11:17:08 »

In all of those cases, the unions were not formed through democracy which the EU was. That is the big difference and is the reason why the EU will last and won't eventually break apart - it will just get bigger and bigger.

Anti EU sentiments are higher at present solely due to the state of the economy, when things go bad people withdraw to their national (or other) identity. Lack of jobs? Blame it on the EU allowing in all the immigrants. Companies being undercut by foreign imports? Blame it on the EU allowing free trade. Its the same reason for the BNP getting increased support when things are going bad, just substitute nationality for skin colour.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, June 4, 2009, 11:58:19 »

Just popped down to vote, did anyone else fall about laughing at the rediculously long ballot paper?

Seeing the Greens on a three foot long bit of paper given to each voter was deliciously ironic.
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, June 4, 2009, 12:01:24 »

Just popped down to vote, did anyone else fall about laughing at the rediculously long ballot paper?

Seeing the Greens on a three foot long bit of paper given to each voter was deliciously ironic.

Yes - marvellous. Surely they could have come up with something more manageable - It's going to be a nightmare unfolding and counting those !

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, June 4, 2009, 12:04:47 »

Yes madness. I put about four folds in it and it still wasn't small enough.
spacey

« Reply #38 on: Thursday, June 4, 2009, 12:05:29 »

That's confirmed sock snakes for me.

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Thursday, June 4, 2009, 12:10:25 »

i voted ukip in the end
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Thursday, June 4, 2009, 12:43:05 »

I thought I had to make a paper plane out of it !!

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Thursday, June 4, 2009, 13:03:37 »

I can't be bothered to vote, whoever get's in will just be on the gravy train and coin it in anyway

Tories keep putting leaflet's through my door - I am tempted to stick them in an envelope return them and tell them to stop sending me their propaganda as they have no chance of me voting for them
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, June 4, 2009, 13:17:11 »

Labour for me - I love the roller coaster red rooster batty boys !
Phil_S

Who changed my Avatar ?!

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Thursday, June 4, 2009, 13:23:24 »

In all of those cases, the unions were not formed through democracy which the EU was. That is the big difference and is the reason why the EU will last and won't eventually break apart - it will just get bigger and bigger.

Anti EU sentiments are higher at present solely due to the state of the economy, when things go bad people withdraw to their national (or other) identity. Lack of jobs? Blame it on the EU allowing in all the immigrants. Companies being undercut by foreign imports? Blame it on the EU allowing free trade. Its the same reason for the BNP getting increased support when things are going bad, just substitute nationality for skin colour.
But that was my point... albeit not very well made.. The European UNION is NOT formed democratically. The last chance I had to vote I was asked if I wanted to remain part of a common market.
We even had the chance to vote on the lisbon treaty denied to us because the Labour party were too scared os the result so broke their manifesto pledge.
Even in those countries that did have a chance to vote on the Lisbon Treaty democracy was ignored. The french and the Irish voted NO, so the EU just changed a few words & will ignore that decision.
Finally most of the laws are NOT made by the elected parliament. They are made by the commision which is NOT elected, but appointted by goverments. Lets face it thge people of Britain would NEVER have elected the likes of the Kinnocks, & Mandelson. They were just given the jobs by Labour.
FYI the EU does NOT allow free trade, (except within the cartel) the whole idea is to set up barriers in the form of tariffs against other countries (including some of the worlds poorest).
Even inside the EU boundaries the trade is hardly "free trade" not when artificial quotas are put in place to prop up inefficient or non existent farming pushing up the price of food to you & me.
As for immigration, our goverment is to blame, not the EU. Surely most people know that. Other EU countries opted out  of a free for all within the borders of the expanded EU we didn't. The EU doesn't tell us that we should be a soft touch for illegal immigrants. Allowing known terrorists & criminals to not only come here, but to remain here on benefits paid for by you & me.
The initial idea of a common market certainly had its merits, but todays Europe is unaccountable, & corrupt to such an extent that it makes the fiddles at Westminster look whiter than white.

From the Dark Side
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Thursday, June 4, 2009, 13:31:32 »

pensioner party

Things get better but they never get good
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 24   Go Up
Print
Jump to: