Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Malpas' signings  (Read 1428 times)
Rich Pullen

« on: Saturday, November 15, 2008, 23:48:57 »

It was interesting really. I gave Malpas a fair amount of support RE: his transfer policy during his brief tenure here. I never felt that he failed to seal the deal with players, I think money talks and others could offer more. 

Also, there are many 'bigger' teams than Swindon - perhaps Malpas was naive and focused too much time on certain targets. I was mythed that he seemed to spend so much time trying to bring in Scott Murray. Charlie Mulgrew couldn't refuse a return to the SPL, Kevin Betsy seemed like an late act of desperation to me and it appeared that several teams thought they were set to sign Richie Jones until he joined Hartlepool.

In the Jan-Nov 08 period that he was here he made only 9 signings which is quite remarkable considering he had the Summer too. This only suprises me because of what level we are in and there are usually an influx of ins and outs.

The Malpas 9

01. Moses Ashikodi (loan)
02. Anthony McNamee
03. Pat Kanyuka
04. Simon Cox
05. Michael Timlin (loan and full time deal)
06. Kevin Amankwaah
07. Lilian Nalis
08. Kasali Yinka Casal
09. Mark Marshall

Would I be right in saying that Ashikodi, McNamee and possibly Kanyuka were scouted by Byrne & co with Malpas' eventual blessing? Timlin had already played for Swindon and we all know about Cox. Leaving Amankwaah, Nalis, Casal & Marshall as his only signings that can't be argued - leaving only four as his own !

Malpas has to be the most transfer shy manager we've ever had (awaiting correction). I think in the coming months we'll discover whether Malpas was infact a poor salesman for STFC or whether this was Malpas acting under the orders of the Chairman. I guess we shall have to wait and see because the new guy (whoever the hell it will be) is going to want money to improve the current situation and who can blame him?

Not sure where I'm going with this, I guess I'm quite amazed with the small amount of signings (including loans) Malpas made while being in charge during busy transfer windows.

This darn credit crunch.

Night Night Smiley
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 13:51:42 »

surely you can count them all though.  It doesn't matter who scouted them, it's whether they get purchased that matters.  Most players are scouted rather than the Manager spending weeks watching them - remember how Managers get slated if they go off watching games when their teams aren't winning, they should be chained to the training ground.

Wise would hardly have spent his spare time watching lower league players in the months leading up to his move here just in case, but he brought in a fair few quickly.  This suggests he used other peoples knowledge, like on Brezovan which was down to a favour.

As it is, I think he was a bit hit and miss really, but his policy was driven by the Board largely - young potential, raw diamonds who we can polish.  The Fitton aim is to invest where absolutely necessary but only if we can see a future return (Cox, McNamee) or cheap players that have the bare essentials and may work out (they may not)- Casal.  I don't see that changing too much, so the next Manager will probably have to fit into that kind of budget.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: