Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Players to keep ?  (Read 7471 times)
el duque

« Reply #30 on: Monday, March 20, 2006, 09:59:36 »

Certainly not Jack Smith... I loathed watching Duke turn out week after week, but this guy is actually worse!
McLovin

« Reply #31 on: Monday, March 20, 2006, 10:33:54 »

He's certainly runnng him close. Which is strange, as when he first joined i thought he looked quite able.
DMR

« Reply #32 on: Monday, March 20, 2006, 10:42:56 »

Agreed Jack Smith has gone rapidly downhill. Ongoing injury niggle that kept him out a while back?

I'd keep Ifil, O'Hanlon, Nicholas, P Smith, Shakes, Platt, Peacock and Cureton if possible, the rest can fuck off.
DMR

« Reply #33 on: Monday, March 20, 2006, 10:43:47 »

Quote from: "Duncan_Shearer"
Evans is on £5000 a week, it is what he was on at Chelsea, think my sources are better than yours.

And I think you're a spazzer.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Monday, March 20, 2006, 10:57:26 »

I'd keep the following assuming we go down

Evans,
Sean - O
Brown
Shakes,
Gurney or P. Smith
Curo,
Peacock.
CCP.

Maybe:
Roberts
Ifil

Outs:
Whalley, Migs (would be a waste in div 4), Nicho, J Smith, Benji.

My prediction of who will actually stay:

Gurns, Ifil  P.Smith, Whalley, Peacock, CCP*, Shakes*

*though they could get snapped up, they are out of contract aren't they?
Piemonte

« Reply #35 on: Monday, March 20, 2006, 12:38:38 »

Quote from: "dave_m_russell"
Agreed Jack Smith has gone rapidly downhill. Ongoing injury niggle that kept him out a while back?

I'd keep Ifil, O'Hanlon, Nicholas, P Smith, Shakes, Platt, Peacock and Cureton if possible, the rest can fuck off.

I'd agree with that.

I refuse to believe that Evans is paid £5k a week (£260k a year!) for playing for a stuggling league 1 outfit even if he is a decent keeper. There'll be 1st team players in the championship on less than that.
BigStan

« Reply #36 on: Monday, March 20, 2006, 18:05:22 »

Quote from: "Duncan_Shearer"
Evans is on £5000 a week, it is what he was on at Chelsea, think my sources are better than yours.

I'll guarantee to you that what Evans is on per week is closer to £500 than £5000 !

Last Summer his agent asked for twice what he was on in 2004-2005. The Board offered him a reduction in money.

He and "his people" thought that Championship clubs and good League One clubs would come flocking after him with long term contracts sticking out of their pockets.

After much media speak about how he didn't want to disrupt his family, loved it in Swindon, etc, etc he swallowed his not inconsiderable pride and accepted whatever the board offered him.

He wasn't on £5000 per week last season and he isn't on £5000 per week now.
McLovin

« Reply #37 on: Monday, March 20, 2006, 18:21:06 »

it's always interesting to hear BigStan's insights, as they are usually dead accurate...
Dazzza

« Reply #38 on: Monday, March 20, 2006, 18:36:02 »

Can't see it being to different this summer.

Clubs seem far more inclined to use their youth keeper rather than invest in older experienced backup these days and I’m not sure Evans has won over enough plaudits this season that’s going to get him noticed enough as automatic first team material.

Then there’s the old emergency loan farce which provides clubs with the flexibility and cover to always bring someone in as and when required rather than pay a keeper a salary over 12 months for bench warming.

If he departs then I can only see it being for another league two club as first choice otherwise he’s going to be picking over offers which offer him no guarantees of first team football.

Devon Red

« Reply #39 on: Monday, March 20, 2006, 19:11:01 »

Certainly not Jack Smith... I loathed watching Duke turn out week after week, but this guy is actually worse!

I'd agree with that. But like a lot of people have already said the team might be split with those who know they are leaving/staying and therefore putting in mixed amounts of effort.
el duque

« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, March 21, 2006, 17:00:40 »

Quote from: "Devon Red"

I'd agree with that. But like a lot of people have already said the team might be split with those who know they are leaving/staying and therefore putting in mixed amounts of effort.

I don't buy that argument for a second. If they are staying then they want to do their best for the team (or so you would hope). If they are leaving then unless they already have something sewn up (unlikely given the current climate in lower league football... and the fact that many of them are remarkably lacking in talent) they have their livelihoods to play for in the hope of impressing another club... I find it inconceivable that a guy who doesn't know where (if anywhere) they will be playing next year would stop trying at this stage of the season.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, March 21, 2006, 18:36:56 »

Cant really compare Duke and J.Smith.

J.Smith is a full back, Andy King just thought Duke was a full back.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: