Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Staying or going?  (Read 10533 times)
Doore

« Reply #75 on: Monday, May 4, 2009, 21:02:47 »

Always nice to see sensible debate on here.  Personally I think Jack Smith is very underrated - always dependable and tidy on the ball - a definite keeper for me.  

I think most league one players are pretty similar - at this level it really is about creating a team and a system that works.

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Monday, May 4, 2009, 21:03:10 »

same as talk talk but i'd deffo keep vincent.
i rate jpm but wouldn't be bothered if he went.the rest can all go
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Monday, May 4, 2009, 21:04:49 »

Always nice to see sensible debate on here.  Personally I think Jack Smith is very underrated - always dependable and tidy on the ball - a definite keeper for me.  

I think most league one players are pretty similar - at this level it really is about creating a team and a system that works.

I prefer him at right back.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Monday, May 4, 2009, 21:05:21 »

I don't think we should be looking at a full clear out at all either. Of course we want a fair few of the out of contract players to go but some should stay. It's also worth remembering that the two main positions we are going to need to fill are CM and CF. We need at least 1 of each and probably 2 of each tbh.
Talk Talk

« Reply #79 on: Monday, May 4, 2009, 21:11:50 »

I don't think we should be looking at a full clear out at all either.

Please explain that argument. I'm not being funny, but what would be wrong with DW starting pre-season with a (nearly) clean sheet? Does continuity mean anything at all after a completely crap season (Coxy's goals, the mid season blossoming of Morrison, the late blossoming of Phil Smith, the constant Billy Paynter, DW's rather super loan signings excepted)?

Surely just keeping the best of a mediocre bunch is a secondary ambition?
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Monday, May 4, 2009, 21:15:04 »

Please explain that argument. I'm not being funny, but what would be wrong with DW starting pre-season with a (nearly) clean sheet? Does continuity mean anything at all after a completely crap season (Coxy's goals, the mid season blossoming of Morrison, the late blossoming of Phil Smith, the constant Billy Paynter, DW's rather super loan signings excepted)?

Surely just keeping the best of a mediocre bunch is a secondary ambition?

Remember when we had a major clearout in 2000? We fucked it right up. The squad took ages to gel and we struggled much like this season when we were all hopeful of a promotion push back to the championship. Sometimes it doesn't always work. Teams take time to build and you can't just ship out 11 and bring in 11 hoping they'll be world beaters overnight. I'll also look to 03/04 as a good example. We brought in about 7 or 8 but kept the decent ones on and had a very good team.

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Monday, May 4, 2009, 21:18:13 »

the trouble with that is.we dont have many decent ones.
the loanees have only made that more obvious
Talk Talk

« Reply #82 on: Monday, May 4, 2009, 21:23:16 »

the trouble with that is.we dont have many decent ones.
the loanees have only made that more obvious

Natch. That's where I was headed.

We have a squad of what, 32 or 35 including the loanees. If DW can get three stonkingly good loans in and make such a huge difference (as in us staying up) then why shouldn't he be able to do that with a nearly complete clear out and a squad of 22-ish? I don't think HRK, Greer or OTJ took very long to gel did they?
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Monday, May 4, 2009, 21:28:00 »

Now we've had an up turn in form as a team im more inclined to keep some of our players. Alot of the ones that have been here a while, we know are capable of better because they showed it under a proper manager in Paul Sturrock. Now we have Wilson rather than Malpas I think he could easily get a mid table finish and better out of our current squad.

I think the likes of JPM and Aljofree will be here next season, purely because they have another year on their contract and I cant see anyone coming in and paying money for them!

Phil Smith has definitely proved himself since he came back into the team. He has shown that the dodgy Phil Smith wasnt the real Phil Smith. If any player would have drastically changed Wilsons mind over the last 10 games its him. New deal

Jack Smith is a decent player at this level, steady - well worth having around the squad as cover for the full back positions. With him in the squad is also free ups Amankwaah to play on the wing if need be. Keep

Vincent is a good defender and you only have to look back to the first few months off the season without him to show how important he is to our defence. Sure he doesnt get forward, he doesnt over lap and his distribution isnt great but fuck it, he can defend well worth keeping

Jerel Ifil is a tricky one. I wouldnt have him as first choice. I think we've all hoped as he got older and played more games he'd in footballing terms 'grow up' and 'mature' as a player but he hasnt. He never will. Ifil will always be Ifil and that wont change. Moments of truely awesome defending mirrored 5 minutes later by truely awful defending. Worth keeping as a 3rd or 4th choice.

Easton has been a huge let down this season compared to last season. He seemed to be finding his feet a bit towards the end but putting Kanyuka in the middle instead of Easton against Rovers (for all of 10 minutes in which Kanyuka didnt even touch the ball) showed Wilsons hand. Likely to go and come back to bite us in the arse. Undecided on Easton personally.

Barry Corr - keep him around for pre-season give him games and see how he does. No one else will go near him so we can keep him around without committing to him. If he does alright give him a short term deal. If not we lose nothing.

Brezovan isnt worth keeping in my opinion, as time has gone on he's shown that awesome first 6 games of the L2 season Brez was a flash in the pan, a bizare run of form which was truely a one off. He is not the best keeper at the club and wont ever be. I dont think he will be offered anything and if it was up to me he wouldnt be anyway.

Patrick Kanyuka has been a dissapointed and in most cases a waste of time. I can count on one hand the times he's actually looked like a footballer to me. I'd get rid but Wilson seems to like him so I dont know.

Mark Marshall has looked decent on occasions. Much more direct than any of our other wingers. Perfect if you need a goal and just want someone to run at defenders. Must be on cheap wages so again if it was my decision id give him other year.

Michael Pook - utter rubbish. Must be the worst Swindon Town player to make over 100 appearances (97 starts 30 sub) I dont think anyone would offer him a new deal here.

Blair Sturrock - gone

Chris Allen - gone, good player but will never be strong enough for professional footballer. As stupid as it sounds he look better in Arsenals team than ours!

Lescinal Jean-Francois has looked ok in the first team and good for the reserves probably worth a short term deal and a proper look at in pre season

I've tried to touch on players who I think are out of contract and/or are on the fringes of the team.

The likes of Amankwaah, Morrison & Paynter are definitely keepers & Cox in dreamland

Aljofree, JPM, Timlin, McNamee, Casal, Kennedy & Peacock still have another year left I think. Casal would be no loss, doesnt even get a game for the reserves. Peacock might come back from his injury or it might be one injury and one year too much for him. Squad fodder.

I'd like to see Aljofree given a chance under Wilson, if we see the same player we did under Malpas then try to get rid.

Timlin, McNamee and JPM all good enough to play a part.

Kennedy decent back up

« Last Edit: Monday, May 4, 2009, 21:29:52 by DV » Logged
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Monday, May 4, 2009, 21:31:22 »

Now we've had an up turn in form as a team im more inclined to keep some of our players. Alot of the ones that have been here a while, we know are capable of better because they showed it under a proper manager in Paul Sturrock. Now we have Wilson rather than Malpas I think he could easily get a mid table finish and better out of our current squad.

I think the likes of JPM and Aljofree will be here next season, purely because they have another year on their contract and I cant see anyone coming in and paying money for them!

Phil Smith has definitely proved himself since he came back into the team. He has shown that the dodgy Phil Smith wasnt the real Phil Smith. If any player would have drastically changed Wilsons mind over the last 10 games its him. New deal

Jack Smith is a decent player at this level, steady - well worth having around the squad as cover for the full back positions. With him in the squad is also free ups Amankwaah to play on the wing if need be. Keep

Vincent is a good defender and you only have to look back to the first few months off the season without him to show how important he is to our defence. Sure he doesnt get forward, he doesnt over lap and his distribution isnt great but fuck it, he can defend well worth keeping

Jerel Ifil is a tricky one. I wouldnt have him as first choice. I think we've all hoped as he got older and played more games he'd in footballing terms 'grow up' and 'mature' as a player but he hasnt. He never will. Ifil will always be Ifil and that wont change. Moments of truely awesome defending mirrored 5 minutes later by truely awful defending. Worth keeping as a 3rd or 4th choice.

Easton has been a huge let down this season compared to last season. He seemed to be finding his feet a bit towards the end but putting Kanyuka in the middle instead of Easton against Rovers (for all of 10 minutes in which Kanyuka didnt even touch the ball) showed Wilsons hand. Likely to go and come back to bite us in the arse. Undecided on Easton personally.

Barry Corr - keep him around for pre-season give him games and see how he does. No one else will go near him so we can keep him around without committing to him. If he does alright give him a short term deal. If not we lose nothing.

Brezovan isnt worth keeping in my opinion, as time has gone on he's shown that awesome first 6 games of the L2 season Brez was a flash in the pan, a bizare run of form which was truely a one off. He is not the best keeper at the club and wont ever be. I dont think he will be offered anything and if it was up to me he wouldnt be anyway.

Patrick Kanyuka has been a dissapointed and in most cases a waste of time. I can count on one hand the times he's actually looked like a footballer to me. I'd get rid but Wilson seems to like him so I dont know.

Mark Marshall has looked decent on occasions. Much more direct than any of our other wingers. Perfect if you need a goal and just want someone to run at defenders. Must be on cheap wages so again if it was my decision id give him other year.

Michael Pook - utter rubbish. Must be the worst Swindon Town player to make over 100 appearances (97 starts 30 sub) I dont think anyone would offer him a new deal here.

Blair Sturrock - gone

Chris Allen - gone, good player but will never be strong enough for professional footballer. As stupid as it sounds he look better in Arsenals team than ours!

Lescinal Jean-Francois has looked ok in the first team and good for the reserves probably worth a short term deal and a proper look at in pre season

I've tried to touch on players who I think are out of contract and/or are on the fringes of the team.

The likes of Amankwaah, Morrison & Paynter are definitely keepers & Cox in dreamland

Aljofree, JPM, Timlin, McNamee, Casal, Kennedy & Peacock still have another year left I think. Casal would be no loss, doesnt even get a game for the reserves. Peacock might come back from his injury or it might be one injury and one year too much for him. Squad fodder.

I'd like to see Aljofree given a chance under Wilson, if we see the same player we did under Malpas then try to get rid.

Timlin, McNamee and JPM all good enough to play a part.

Kennedy decent back up

That pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.
Talk Talk

« Reply #85 on: Monday, May 4, 2009, 21:40:28 »

That's a good point, DV. He was sorely missed but I think that is more a case of having an experienced man at the back. I think Greer is a better prospect in that respect but JV would be a good choice to keep as back up.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Monday, May 4, 2009, 21:40:57 »

Sad to say but i dont think vicents up to it anymore. He should take williams place instead

Things get better but they never get good
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Monday, May 4, 2009, 21:45:32 »

We've tried Casal, Aljofree, J.Smith, Kennedy, Amankwaah, Timlin & Lecsincal at left back and Vincent is still first choice.

A back 4 of Amankwaah, Morrison, Greer and Vincent would be fine for this league.

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Monday, May 4, 2009, 21:46:54 »

if wecan combine jack smiths footballing ability with ifils interception ability into a super dooper crossbreed,i'd keep the offspring of them.if not then get shot of both of em.one cannot defend and the other cannot play.neither will take us forward.
Talk Talk

« Reply #89 on: Monday, May 4, 2009, 21:50:31 »

A back 4 of Amankwaah, Morrison, Greer and Vincent would be fine for this league.

I don't want to be in this League, the one above is more attractive...

Seriously though, was it last season or the one before when our defence was the best on the planet? I can't remember as apparently I just live for the moment  Beers Wasn't that Jack Smith, Ifil, Williams and Vincent?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: