Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Good Book/Shit Books  (Read 3983 times)
Amir

« on: Sunday, December 19, 2004, 22:31:15 »

The last two books I have read have fallen into these two categories, so I thought I would share my thoughts with you on them, and if you would like to do the same then everyones a winner Tongue

Firstly, Buddha Da by Anne Donovan, a beautifly subtle novel about a working class Glaswegian who finds Buddhism, and the effect it has on his family.  Written in the same way as an Irvine Welsh novel(each chapter is written in the first person from the viewpoint of a major character, and therefore in dialect), it's a very involving book that allows you alot of insight into each of the characters.  All in all, well worth a read.

Secondly, London Fields by Martin Amis.  Now I've heard alot of good things about Martin Amis, which was the sole reason for me buying this book, and it was one of the worst pieces of shit I have ever read.  Based around the idea that there is some brilliant story going to take place that the main character will turn into a novel, it kind of falls down when the story turns out to be absolute wank.  Every single character in this book annoyed me, the fucking cuntshovels, and the only bit of any interest was a world crisis that was never elaborated on.  Never ever read this book.  The only other book that's annoyed me this much is Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee.  Crap.
Zurich Red

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, December 20, 2004, 08:42:54 »

Totally agree with you about London Fields, although I actually thought Disgrace was OK. Buddha Da sounds interesting - might pick it up for the trip to the West Country later in the week.

Other good books I have read recently are Life of Pi and the Football Factory trilogy by John King. Very different in style and subject matter, but both entertaining. Currently half-way through The God of Small Things which I haven't quite made my mind up about yet.
kizz

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, December 20, 2004, 10:01:46 »

Read a great book called Bear Vs Shark earlier this year... quite hard going, but is a good read. It's where got the quote at the bottom of my posts from.

Reading 'Tis by Frank McCourt at the moment... not as good as Angela's Ashes, but it's still very enjoyable!

iven a level playing field (i.e. enough water so a shark could manouevre, but not so deep that a bear would flounder) who would win in a fight between a bear and a shark?
Amir

« Reply #3 on: Monday, December 20, 2004, 11:01:03 »

I think it was the way the woman in Disgrace just gave up, and almost accepted that she should be raped that made me angry.  Life of Pi I thoroughly enjoyed, even if the middle was a little slow going.  The God of Small Things I could not get into at all, and I ended the book without a clue as to what had happened.  

'Tis was a very good read also, but as you say not as good as Angela's Ashes.  How they managed to ruin that book so badly with the film I'll never know.
kizz

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, December 20, 2004, 11:41:20 »

Quote from: "Amir Khan"
I think it was the way the woman in Disgrace just gave up, and almost accepted that she should be raped that made me angry.  Life of Pi I thoroughly enjoyed, even if the middle was a little slow going.  The God of Small Things I could not get into at all, and I ended the book without a clue as to what had happened.  

'Tis was a very good read also, but as you say not as good as Angela's Ashes.  How they managed to ruin that book so badly with the film I'll never know.

I haven't seen the film... I couldn't image how they could do the book justice, so I have chosen not to watch it.

Hearing your comment has made up my mind for definate!!!

iven a level playing field (i.e. enough water so a shark could manouevre, but not so deep that a bear would flounder) who would win in a fight between a bear and a shark?
Amir

« Reply #5 on: Monday, December 20, 2004, 13:01:39 »

I know films can never really live up to books you've read(with the possible exception of LOTR), but they managed capture all the bleakness without any of the beauty.
Amir

« Reply #6 on: Monday, December 20, 2004, 13:06:56 »

The book by his brother isn't too bad either btw, although he's a bit of an arsehole so it's not nearly as endearing.

"I'm going to consummate this marriage"
"Consummate my arse"
"That'll do!"

Smiley
kizz

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, December 20, 2004, 14:20:14 »

Which brother?

Amir

« Reply #8 on: Monday, December 20, 2004, 14:37:57 »

Malachy.
Amir

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, January 5, 2005, 00:23:53 »

More book reviews from Amir...

The Bookseller of Kabul by Asne Seierstad - Very interesting look at life in Afghanistan, particularly since the Taliban were ousted.  Not your average Afghani family by any means, but it certainly gives an incite into modern(?) life there.  Written in the form of stories that have occured, making it very readable.

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown - Not a very good book in my opinion, a second rate thriller that uses a very cheap soap opera trick to try and keep you interested.  If you've never read anything about the Grail legends then it might be interesting, still there are many better books to read if that's what you're interested in(although many of them are also based on guesswork).

Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom - A thought-provoking story about the influence we have on the world around us and the people who live in it.  Well worth a look.

That's all for now.  Anyone else read owt interesting lately?
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, January 5, 2005, 02:32:45 »

I need some bookage im off to the charity shops tomorrow for some cheap books..

/
W56196272
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, January 5, 2005, 10:17:13 »

I tried reading The Holy Qur'an once just to see what the all the fuss was about, I was expecting a "Islamic Bible", but the way it's written is poor, just instruction after instruction, never really grabs the readers attention enough.  I'm surprised that it's managed to catch on.  The Bible is far more user friendly.

My favourite read of recent imes has got to be The Godfather by Mario Puzo, a real page turner.  I had never seen the film and thought I'd give the book a shot first, and was not disappointed.  The film, which I watched after was a severe let down, although not as much of a let down as the Qur'an.

No offence to any of the ISS* brigade surfing the forum.

*Islamic Swindon Supporters
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, January 5, 2005, 11:59:07 »

have been struggling to get through words and music by paul morley, not as good as i hoped. just read the colledcted short stories by pd james, very well written excellent for bedtime reading.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, January 5, 2005, 13:01:13 »

Just read '8 days a week' by Jonathan Agnew - a top book for what it was; a cricket diary from the eighties. Started the Dirk Gently omnibus last night.
Amir

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, January 5, 2005, 13:22:01 »

Quote from: "janaage77"
I tried reading The Holy Qur'an once just to see what the all the fuss was about, I was expecting a "Islamic Bible", but the way it's written is poor, just instruction after instruction, never really grabs the readers attention enough.  I'm surprised that it's managed to catch on.  The Bible is far more user friendly.

My favourite read of recent imes has got to be The Godfather by Mario Puzo, a real page turner.  I had never seen the film and thought I'd give the book a shot first, and was not disappointed.  The film, which I watched after was a severe let down, although not as much of a let down as the Qur'an.

No offence to any of the ISS* brigade surfing the forum.

*Islamic Swindon Supporters

The Koran is a terrible read in English, and I suspect in any other language but Arabic.  In Arabic it is written rythmicly, almost in verse.

I liked the bits about adultery.  If your wife is adulterous you can lock her in the cellar until you forgive her/she dies.  If you are adulterous that's very naughty, and you shouldn't do it again.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: