Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Seriously  (Read 3556 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 15:37:08 »

Quote from: "sonic youth"
we've not got a hope. i can see us going out in the group stages in typically inept fashion.

we've got some great players but they're unable to play as a unit, greece won euro 2004 because they were a solid side. we're not.

we're a rag-tag bunch of misfits, average players and the odd world-class player with greater expectations than perhaps any other nation.

despite all that, i'd say we'd stand a chance if rooney wasn't injured.

When you say we, didn't think the Republic qualified.
Dazzza

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 15:40:37 »

I'm sure were going out in the knock-out stages to Ze Germans.

That said I can see the horrific possibility of being edged out by Paraguay on GD in the group stage being a reality as well.  They've made the 2nd round in the last two world cups and have a talented side that will be eager to make a bright start to the competition.

Sweden as well are always up for a bit of Sven beating as is always the worry of a repeat of the Northern Ireland sham against T&T who will be looking to prove a point against England.

Foggy

Ketchup wanker

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 15:48:22 »

I want us to win, but i just cant see it happening. Sven is struggling on plan A so fuck knows about plan B. Weve got a lot of untried players in the squad ,but there again it might work in our favour .We should win the group, T&T were pretty average against the sheep shaggers,Sweden will bore the rest of the group to death , and Paraguay shouldnt hold any great danger. You watch this come back and haunt me ! Wink

Sad to say, i must be on my way
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 15:57:07 »

Depends who "we" are.  We have no chance.

I do think that England have a decent chance, but there are better sides going.
le god cuervo

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 16:15:36 »

i think we've got the best squad of players going to the world cup, but as someone else has said, they don't seem to work well as a team. sven is too scared to drop certain players as well so even if we're chasing a game he will stick with the likes of beckham & owen and take off players like joe cole, who has proved in the last few games he's ace & keeps creating right up to the final minute (crouch's goal last night & the 90th minute winner against uruguay)

if we're going to do well in this tournament sven needs to get them playing in the 'premiership' way (eg fast & direct) rather than sitting back on 1-0 leads, which has seen us fail in the past. english teams are ace aginst foreign opposition when they go at them like that, they don't know how to deal with it coz they are used to the slower continental style.

on paper, we're good enough to win it. but i reckon we'll go out in the quarter-finals, either after extra time or on penalties
sonic youth

« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 16:26:54 »

Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"

i follow whichever country is doing best
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 16:40:13 »

depends if Rooney plays....
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 16:42:46 »

Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"

i follow whichever country is doing best

Having dual nationality is ace...I shall doubtless play my Brazilian card at some stage..and stick Reginaldo on the back of my Brazil shirt.
STFC Village

« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 17:04:25 »

we've not got a hope. i can see us going out in the group stages in typically inept fashion.

we've got some great players but they're unable to play as a unit, greece won euro 2004 because they were a solid side. we're not.

we're a rag-tag bunch of misfits, average players and the odd world-class player with greater expectations than perhaps any other nation.

Abso-fecking-lutely agree with this fella
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 17:14:55 »

Quote from: "STFC Village"

Abso-fecking-lutely agree with this fella

I'd have to agree also.....
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 17:23:47 »

I personally think we can, the media seems to overhype the team and then over criticise when they don't make the grade.

We should play brave, look to attack teams and try not to get stuck in a passive game. The problem with playing friendlies against teams like Hungary is that they often sit players behind the ball, looking to get any result against a team with an overhyped reputation. This simply wouldn't happen with most teams in the world cup. England themselves do not play full throttle in friendlies anyway.

However, we're only going to win by being brave and attacking teams (even if it's Brazil). If we play too passivly (like Italy and ourselves under Sven) often do then we'll get caught out.
larwood
The girl least likely to.

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 17:36:03 »

NO!

I was a small, fat child in a welfare house
There was only one thing I ever dreamed about
And fate has just
Handed it to me - whoopee
adje

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 17:42:24 »

The fact that Eriksson STILL doesn't know what his best X1 is does not give me confidence.Lampard and Gerrard together still doesn't work one game before the tournament,he doesn't fancy Carrick so the holding role is still unsorted -both Carragher and Hargreaves looked lost last night.Owen-our one PROVEN world class player looked desperately out of sorts last night and if Robinson gets injured we're knackered.So,no.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 20:53:40 »

if we play beckham in the roaming position like roony would of done, and stick lennon on the left. if we do this then we will win. also  stick crouch up front instead of owen, as he is our most prolific striker at the moment.

Things get better but they never get good
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 21:01:30 »

Man for man, player for player the ONLY team better than us on PAPER is Brazil. We will easily passy the group the stages with 3 wins out of 3 in my opinion. Whilst we are more than a match for anybody else, we are at a physcological disadvantage when it comes to penalties or having goals disallowed because thats what we fear the most.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: