Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: League 1 - 2008 Odds  (Read 2882 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, May 27, 2007, 16:55:18 »

Quote from: "arriba"
seriously,we have sturrock who is proven at this level.i think IF he gets some sort of reasonable funding we could do very well this coming year.but it all hinges on what money will be available to him though.unless change happensin the boardroom it wont be much will it. Sad

They're probably working on the notion that Sturrock, will get pissed off with lack of ambition and walk.....leaving Adi Williams to take over.
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, May 27, 2007, 16:55:53 »

Hartlepool have just lost their goalkeeper, why are they so highly rated?
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, May 27, 2007, 16:59:43 »

Quote from: "glos_robin"
the better sides in league 2 that go up usually do alright when promoted dont they?
i think mid table for us,unless there is major investment from somewhere(touch wood)then who knows

Nope.............Cheltenham, Leyton Orient and Northampton all struggled and just avoided the drop with Leyton Orient and Cheltenham who I would compare to ourselves this season finishing 17th and 20th.

Carlisle did well but then they won this league by a mile!

Carlisle who despite winning the league in the season only got 1 more point than us.....and the same Carlisle we dicked in the FA Cup..... Cool
glos_robin

« Reply #18 on: Sunday, May 27, 2007, 17:03:47 »

Quote from: "DV85"
Quote from: "glos_robin"
the better sides in league 2 that go up usually do alright when promoted dont they?
i think mid table for us,unless there is major investment from somewhere(touch wood)then who knows

Nope.............Cheltenham, Leyton Orient and Northampton all struggled and just avoided the drop with Leyton Orient and Cheltenham who I would compare to ourselves this season finishing 17th and 20th.

Carlisle did well but then they won this league by a mile!

Carlisle who despite winning the league in the season only got 1 more point than us.....and the same Carlisle we dicked in the FA Cup..... Cool

Yeah but didn't it involve them coming from no where in the second half of the season to absolutely destroy the league scoring 4 or 5 regularly when they won it.  The FA cup is a one off match and Sturrocks first in charge which would have fired up the players so don't think its exactly a great indicator...
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, May 27, 2007, 17:17:21 »

This is very simple, Sturrock has stated it already.  Strikers are quicker and better finishers in League I, that's the main difference.  We went into the toilet by selling Parkin then Fallon.  Luggy is clear that he needs some goalscoring and its going to cost money.  If we sign some decent strikers and midfielders that can pitch in with a few goals we will stay up.  We were promoted without being able to score many goals.  With Corr injured, I don't think we could have won in the play-offs. The team is being overhauled.  The only players that have been re-signed so far are those with strength and nous.  It will be a team like Plymouth next season, a hard barsteward in every position.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, May 27, 2007, 19:55:43 »

I'm with Fred on this, a botom half struggle but surviving, unless the purse strings are loosened and the !.5 million admin expenses are put into the playing budget.  But, how can it, the playing budget is the least of the club's worries, it's just a little nuisance on the horizon of the board's ambitions!
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, May 27, 2007, 21:40:00 »

I think to some extent people are overestimating League 1.

There will be good teams there such as Leeds, Millwall, Forest etc but to be honest I don't think they are much better than us.

We have a reasonably solid defence, some good midfielders (Peacock, Zaaboub, Robbo) and Barry Corr will bag us a few next season. Sturrock is a good manager and I'm confident he will bring in a couple of very good players along with a few others to bolster the squad. How Rovers, Walsall and Hartepool can be rated so much more highly than us after we beat all of them I don't understand!

I predict us to finish quite unspectacularly between 10th and 15th
manc red

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, May 27, 2007, 21:41:43 »

http://www.coral.co.uk/sbuk.go?page=supergrouppage&sportid=1&supergroup=g1Coca+Cola+League+1

This is more what i expected
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, May 27, 2007, 21:56:03 »

Agree with manc red, that's much more realistic in my eyes
sonic youth

« Reply #24 on: Sunday, May 27, 2007, 22:43:09 »

did anyone else get fucked off with the sky commentator constantly referring to blackpool as "that grand old club"?
Northern Red

« Reply #25 on: Thursday, May 31, 2007, 12:23:08 »

Carlisle are going to be poo next season - their main goalscorer's left on a free, and they've lost their two main central defenders. Plus their manager is a bit of a tactical idiot if you ask me...

So far, they've only signed 16 years olds - I'd fancy a bet on them going back down again, you'd get good odds on it.
Jamie05

« Reply #26 on: Sunday, June 3, 2007, 22:57:10 »

It all depends on the type of players brought into a club in the summer. Sturrock is great at getting the right type of players, those who he knows and trusts, who are wanting to play for him and the team. Look at Corr's attitude.

Lets hope Sturrock's budget is big enough to get the players he wants. Remember he mentioned going abroad for players - I hope that means Ireland and maybe Eastern Europe - gritty types who'll get stuck in. The Coral 28/1 is more like it. I'm going to stick on some money at 40/1 if I can. The odds will drop as the players sign. Far too early for realistic odds.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: