Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Black iPhone 4 32gb for sale  (Read 3883 times)
stfcinbmth

« Reply #15 on: Sunday, July 22, 2012, 17:30:44 »

I meant how old is to pericarp over his 4G! So, how old is it pericarp please?! Smiley

Oh
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, July 22, 2012, 17:40:39 »

Can you remember the Sinclair ZX81?

Yep
stfcinbmth

« Reply #17 on: Sunday, July 22, 2012, 17:42:08 »

I don't get this iphone love in you can't do anything with em apart from what Apple says you can
stfcinbmth

« Reply #18 on: Sunday, July 22, 2012, 17:46:17 »

Yep

It's that sort of age
otanswell

Fuck em all...

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, July 22, 2012, 17:57:34 »

You can of you jailbreak it Wink

« Reply #20 on: Sunday, July 22, 2012, 18:08:56 »

You can of you jailbreak it Wink

I did all that with the 3g still not that impressed with it. Would have to hope they have improved since then
Barry Scott

« Reply #21 on: Sunday, July 22, 2012, 18:19:52 »

I don't get this iphone love in you can't do anything with em apart from what Apple says you can

Exactly. It's why I use a Mac and hate Windows. I don't want to tweak shit and spend endless amounts of time configuring shit and fucking around making it work "just so". I just want my products to work, not interrupt me or get in my way, and to function faultlessly for the job they're intended. Wink
stfcinbmth

« Reply #22 on: Sunday, July 22, 2012, 20:02:31 »

Exactly. It's why I use a Mac and hate Windows. I don't want to tweak shit and spend endless amounts of time configuring shit and fucking around making it work "just so". I just want my products to work, not interrupt me or get in my way, and to function faultlessly for the job they're intended. Wink

I just want to be able to do what I want with them, not what some company says I can do with them. If I want to install some custom firmware I want to be able to try it

I like to tinker, Apple doesn't want you to tinker
Barry Scott

« Reply #23 on: Sunday, July 22, 2012, 20:37:38 »

I know what you mean, I actualy used to do it to stuff simply because someone had decided I shouldn't. But, the fact it's a sandbox is probably one reason why they're popular.

I used to enjoy tinkering, but one day got fed up with the endless tweaking, reinstalling, reimaging and problems that can sometimes be caused. I now can't think of anything more undesirable on my computer/s and can't even contemplate doing it on my phone. Without meaning to sound too sanctimonious, I just like the fact my stuff runs flawlessly - I came over to the dark side and found it brighter!

I've been debating doing a what Samdy did and building my own NAS. I need a new one and want one that can transcode across my network, however, I think I'm just going to buy one off the shelf for the same reasons.
pericarp
is a nice chap

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, July 22, 2012, 20:55:07 »

It just finished its 2 year contract!

It's not the 4S btw.

Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #25 on: Sunday, July 22, 2012, 20:56:39 »

I just want to be able to do what I want with them, not what some company says I can do with them. If I want to install some custom firmware I want to be able to try it

I like to tinker, Apple doesn't want you to tinker

In order to do that you have to do the Apple equivalent of jailbreaking and then void your warranty.
Barry Scott

« Reply #26 on: Sunday, July 22, 2012, 22:31:12 »

It just finished its 2 year contract!

It's not the 4S btw.

So 2 years old, the battery is shot then yeah?! Smiley
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Sunday, July 22, 2012, 22:32:36 »

I used to enjoy tinkering, but one day got fed up with the endless tweaking, reinstalling, reimaging and problems that can sometimes be caused. Without meaning to sound too sanctimonious, I just like the fact my stuff runs flawlessly - I came over to the dark side and found it brighter!

I've been debating doing a what Samdy did and building my own NAS. I need a new one and want one that can transcode across my network, however, I think I'm just going to buy one off the shelf for the same reasons.

I'm sort of the same. I want my phone and computer to just work, leaves me with more time to play with more important stuff like servers, virtualisation, networking and so on.

With regards to the NAS, have a look at the HP Micro Server. They cost about £250 but there is a seemingly permanent £100 cash back offer, so it works out about £150. Whilst the cpu is low spec and it's only got 2Gb ram / 250Gb hard drive, you can up the ram to 8Gb for £30 and it's got four drive bays (no optical drive though).

Get one then install the free VMware Hypervisor and install OpenFiler (available as a VMware appliance). You've now got your NAS and it will be able to run some extra OS's on top. I've got a copy of XP running on it solely for downloading, plus I've normally got a few web servers running on it for development purposes. Also got SBS 2011 running on it. Handles it all fine.
pericarp
is a nice chap

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, July 22, 2012, 23:02:51 »

So 2 years old, the battery is shot then yeah?! Smiley

Not too sure, it's my sister's, she just got the Galaxy Note as an upgrade.

Battery might be a little dodgy, I'm not sure! Do they wear down that bad after 2 years?

Barry Scott

« Reply #29 on: Sunday, July 22, 2012, 23:09:59 »

I'm sort of the same. I want my phone and computer to just work, leaves me with more time to play with more important stuff like servers, virtualisation, networking and so on.

With regards to the NAS, have a look at the HP Micro Server. They cost about £250 but there is a seemingly permanent £100 cash back offer, so it works out about £150. Whilst the cpu is low spec and it's only got 2Gb ram / 250Gb hard drive, you can up the ram to 8Gb for £30 and it's got four drive bays (no optical drive though).

Get one then install the free VMware Hypervisor and install OpenFiler (available as a VMware appliance). You've now got your NAS and it will be able to run some extra OS's on top. I've got a copy of XP running on it solely for downloading, plus I've normally got a few web servers running on it for development purposes. Also got SBS 2011 running on it. Handles it all fine.

Thanks, I will have a look. I suppose I can then install Twonky for transcoding across the network into my DNLA devices?

I was thinking about a QNAP or Synology, but I'm now starting to warm to a Netgear ReadyNAS. Although my first NAS was a Netgear and their "NAS" wouldn't work without disgusting amounts of bloatware - and they failed, lots - I've found they're now supposed to be very good. They supposedly offer a great form of raid, which has a lot of redundancy (I suppose that's the word for fall back in the case of drive failure?) and are reasonably priced. They can also transcode and support Time Machine, so despite my hatred, they do seem to tick all the boxes.

I have a hobby server in my lounge and running a server that also doubles as a NAS does hold some appeal.

Not too sure, it's my sister's, she just got the Galaxy Note as an upgrade.

Battery might be a little dodgy, I'm not sure! Do they wear down that bad after 2 years?

No idea to be honest, but lithium ion batteries do have a limited shelf life. And no doubt Apple would rape me for changing something that you should be able to do yourself!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: