Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Players/Drinking/Clubbing  (Read 10901 times)
DMR

« Reply #15 on: Sunday, July 31, 2005, 13:29:35 »

nicholas is a cunt and despite being a good player we'd be better off getting shot
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, July 31, 2005, 13:43:40 »

Roberts is probally less fit than Kingy now  :jaw1:
santini

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, July 31, 2005, 13:45:39 »

Quote from: "Piemonte"

The consensus seems to be that his pre-season form has been poor at best
Depends on who you listen to.

Can't be his "fitness" though.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, July 31, 2005, 13:59:46 »

I bet Reg will now tell some story about how our team was most successfull when we had a team full of Alcoholics

My father tells me stories of the post war period, when it wasn't unusual for players to have a beer in the CGH before playing a game......this was a generation who''d seen the horror of war and the austerity that followed, the players didn't earn much more than fellas in the railway...and didn't get paid in the summer.

We were also crap for a lot of these years.

I would suggest the mid to late 70's was a golden age for STFC players and boozing.....up til then the town didn't have much in the way of clubs "happening " young persons pubs......but as the old 69 class of steady family men like John Trolope....Don Rogers Joe Butler Frank Burrows etc came to be replaced by the likes of Kammy, Kenny Stroud, Ray McHale, Mossy, Trevor Anderson etc it was a common sight to see them out on the pop in places like The Bell and Vadims in Old Town.

Jimmy Allan being the exception.  The teams of that era had some talented players who didn't quite make it with us....coincidence or cause I've no idea.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, July 31, 2005, 15:48:50 »

Quote from: "santini"
Quote from: "Piemonte"

The consensus seems to be that his pre-season form has been poor at best
Depends on who you listen to.

Can't be his "fitness" though.

He looked about ten times worse than any of the Aylesbury players when we played them, he was absolutely awful and wasn't listening to anything King or Reeves told him, in fact he was quite clearly ignoring them on purpose.

Didn't even get on the pitch against Crawley, although no doubt this is because of a conspiracy between the management not to play Nicholas.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, July 31, 2005, 16:01:55 »

Used to see duke out a lot- no wonder he was so shit!! soapy tit wank

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
santini

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, July 31, 2005, 16:34:27 »

Quote from: "sonicyouth"
[He looked about ten times worse than any of the Aylesbury players when we played them, he was absolutely awful and wasn't listening to anything King or Reeves told him, in fact he was quite clearly ignoring them on purpose.

Didn't even get on the pitch against Crawley, although no doubt this is because of a conspiracy between the management not to play Nicholas.

I've told you a million times not to exaggerate - he was only 9 times worse.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, July 31, 2005, 16:40:41 »

At least 9 and a half.
McLovin

« Reply #23 on: Sunday, July 31, 2005, 16:44:54 »

Usual suspects are well known to be Nicho, Fallon, Pook... last season joined by Heywood and Duke.  Even young Ben Wells has been known to enjoy a drink and a B&H...
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, July 31, 2005, 17:25:34 »

Quote from: "Dave Blackcurrant"
Usual suspects are well known to be Nicho, Fallon, Pook... last season joined by Heywood and Duke.  Even young Ben Wells has been known to enjoy a drink and a B&H...

Do they smoke?!
That isn't acceptable for a pro footballer in this day and age, drinking socially is ok but not binge drinking and smoking like a train!
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, July 31, 2005, 17:57:17 »

Quote from: "Ralphy"
Quote from: "Dave Blackcurrant"

Do they smoke?!
That isn't acceptable for a pro footballer in this day and age, drinking socially is ok but not binge drinking and smoking like a train!

Sammy Igoe was on 40 a day was he not?!?
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, July 31, 2005, 18:00:59 »

I doubt you'll find many footballers who don't drink and go clubbing to be honest.
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Sunday, July 31, 2005, 18:14:56 »

Sammy Igoe smoked 40 a day?!  :shock:
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, July 31, 2005, 18:31:43 »

Peter Eastoe never drank at all, according to a mate of his from Tamworth.  I remember seeing many of the Town team at the Brunel rooms, after a (unexpected) Tuesday night home win during the Div. II relegation season, this was just before, or at the beginning of, the Danny Williams second stint.  David Moss was rapidly draining a pint in each fist, while Eastoe was nursing a coke.  Moral of the story,...none really except Moss made a bigger impact in the old  first division.  The only reason he wasn't in the England squad was that Peter Taylor played for Spurs.  In my opinion Moss, playing for Luton, was a better player.

However, the game is lot faster now, with more emphasis on diet and physical fitness.  So, if the players want to be professional they should keep off the Arkells, unless constipated.

Didn't Denis Law use to light up a fag at half time?
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Sunday, July 31, 2005, 18:38:50 »

Nicho and Heywood def the worse two.  Thought it would ease off a bit now Heywoods gone to city but lo and behold they were both out Sat, not saying where though and drinking.  

There is nothing wrong with footballers enjoying themselves however when fans are paying up to £23 a ticket, they don't want to watch hungover, under average footballers.  Not everything has to involve alcohol and also if thats the lifestyle they want then they're in the wrong job!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: