Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Leyton Orient v Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 22397 times)
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: Tuesday, February 25, 2014, 12:33:01 »

We've 15 games to go...in the last 15 we've got 19 points replicate that and we get a very respectable 64 points, however, it's quite conceivable we could get half of that, say 9 points, which gives 54, enough to stay up, but not the sort of season end you  want.

Is it not conceivable that we could get more than 19 points from the next 15 then Reg? Hmmm.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: Tuesday, February 25, 2014, 12:48:28 »

Is it not conceivable that we could get more than 19 points from the next 15 then Reg? Hmmm.

It is conceivable...maybe in your brain but not in mine....let's sit back and see what happens.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Tuesday, February 25, 2014, 13:07:07 »

It is conceivable...maybe in your brain but not in mine....let's sit back and see what happens.

Personally think that the 19 points is more realistic. Just adding and element of balance to your pessimistic post.
laufav

« Reply #213 on: Tuesday, February 25, 2014, 14:56:25 »

Let me try again....loss of form, we've failed to score in 5 of the last 8, prior to that it was 4 in 23, btw I'm talking league games here.

We've 15 games to go...in the last 15 we've got 19 points replicate that and we get a very respectable 64 points, however, it's quite conceivable we could get half of that, say 9 points, which gives 54, enough to stay up, but not the sort of season end you  want.

Anyway, debate makes it interesting, after the PV win, I said that was massive and has gone a long way to avoiding a 96/97 style end of season slide.

You can dress stats up to say whatever you want them to. Right, we've failed to score in 5 of our last 8 league games. We've also failed to score in 2 home league games in the last 11 months. Take your pick.

I recall you saying before we played Walsall away (6th vs 8th I think it was) that an away win would be roughly akin to a bottom placed side winning away to the leaders. I know we only drew but, with respect, I just cannot see any basis for that kind of comment.
REDBUCK

« Reply #214 on: Tuesday, February 25, 2014, 15:31:13 »

It's just the Reg way.Start off with a negative view use stats to back it up, us being a div 1 club means that is likely to be easier to show negative trends and thus be proved rigjt when things turn out as  predicted.

With Swindon it's more likely over time to have a poor run than a good one so less likely to be correct if your outlook is optimistic
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Tuesday, February 25, 2014, 15:47:27 »

You can dress stats up to say whatever you want them to. Right, we've failed to score in 5 of our last 8 league games. We've also failed to score in 2 home league games in the last 11 months. Take your pick.

I recall you saying before we played Walsall away (6th vs 8th I think it was) that an away win would be roughly akin to a bottom placed side winning away to the leaders. I know we only drew but, with respect, I just cannot see any basis for that kind of comment.

Surely you answer your own point...the basis for saying it was unlikely we would win was shown by not winning. Our away form is effectively bottom 4, therefore it is going to be surprise if we do something.  It would be a whole heap stranger to say yes we'll go to Walsall and muller them based on absolutely nothing.
timmyg

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Tuesday, February 25, 2014, 15:59:07 »

Surely anyone that has seen our last 6 games would realise that we're struggling at the moment and that our "form" isn't great.

That's not being negative, just looking at the performances in the last few weeks and realising that we're playing at a performance level below where we were earlier in the season.  We've got some good players that are able to hurt the opposition if they play well and if Crawley haven't done their homework then we *should* be able to get on top and beat them.

If, as seems a bit more likely at the moment, our players play like they have been in the last few weeks (not at their best) and Crawley have seen how our recent opponents have stifled us, then we're going to struggle. Again.

Surely all opposing teams will look at the Col U and Oldham games and think that it's easy enough to stop us at the moment if you just get yourselves organised.  Or they'll look at the Shrews game and see that perhaps we're a soft target to be got at as even an ordinary Shrews teams were by far and away the better team.

Reg is a pessimist, sure, but to say that there are signs that we're going to start playing well and winning is a bit baseless in my opinion.

I reckon another 0-0 on the cards, though perhaps I'm being a bit optimistic to hope that Tubbs/Fallon won't score in front of the Town End...

never trust a nun...
laufav

« Reply #217 on: Tuesday, February 25, 2014, 16:09:36 »

Surely you answer your own point...the basis for saying it was unlikely we would win was shown by not winning. Our away form is effectively bottom 4, therefore it is going to be surprise if we do something.  It would be a whole heap stranger to say yes we'll go to Walsall and muller them based on absolutely nothing.

Nobody was saying we would muller them. Walsall had won less than half of their home games going into it, barely averaging a goal a game, and had done most of their damage away. Of course, you chose not to point that out at the time. If anyone was making irrational predictions it was you.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Tuesday, February 25, 2014, 16:18:40 »

Nobody was saying we would muller them. Walsall had won less than half of their home games going into it, barely averaging a goal a game, and had done most of their damage away. Of course, you chose not to point that out at the time. If anyone was making irrational predictions it was you.

We'll have to part ways here....had I said it was unlikely we'd win at Walsall gone there and stuffed them 3-0 or so, then yes it would look a bit irrational.
Only Me

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Tuesday, February 25, 2014, 16:25:16 »

Surely anyone that has seen our last 6 games would realise that we're struggling at the moment and that our "form" isn't great.

That's not being negative, just looking at the performances in the last few weeks and realising that we're playing at a performance level below where we were earlier in the season.  We've got some good players that are able to hurt the opposition if they play well and if Crawley haven't done their homework then we *should* be able to get on top and beat them.

If, as seems a bit more likely at the moment, our players play like they have been in the last few weeks (not at their best) and Crawley have seen how our recent opponents have stifled us, then we're going to struggle. Again.

Surely all opposing teams will look at the Col U and Oldham games and think that it's easy enough to stop us at the moment if you just get yourselves organised.  Or they'll look at the Shrews game and see that perhaps we're a soft target to be got at as even an ordinary Shrews teams were by far and away the better team.

Reg is a pessimist, sure, but to say that there are signs that we're going to start playing well and winning is a bit baseless in my opinion.

I reckon another 0-0 on the cards, though perhaps I'm being a bit optimistic to hope that Tubbs/Fallon won't score in front of the Town End...
Oh, so we were crap against Peterborough (home and away) and Port Vale as well ?
timmyg

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Tuesday, February 25, 2014, 16:39:19 »

Who said that we were crap?

The Port Vale performance was good (especially from Pritchard who is so influential in the attacking play), but the two games against P'Boro we didn't exactly play well, did we? Not as well as we know that these players can play.

And that's the point, really.  The players aren't playing to their maximum capabilities (when looking at the last 5/6 games overall, I know that they played well at Port Vale) at the moment.  We hope that they can turn that around and find a bit of form, but to expect that it'll come in the next game is baseless.

If we can keep a clean sheet then we've always got a chance, obviously, but we need to threaten the goal more than we have done in order to win games

never trust a nun...
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: Tuesday, February 25, 2014, 16:48:28 »

Looking at my "points predictions" (total guesswork and based upon previous seasons results) that I do at the start of each season, currently I have us on 45 and I reckoned on getting 66 points at the seasons end. Would have been/Will be quite happy with that total and although po's are still within grasp I am not optimistic we will make them and doubt if 66 points would be good enough anyway.

Hmmm

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
Only Me

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: Tuesday, February 25, 2014, 17:02:56 »

Who said that we were crap?

Ok you said the performances were poor.

Why focus on the poor performances when not all performances were poor?

We played well against Port Vale (which you agreed with) and overall we played well in both games against Peterborough.

You need to try and focus on the glass is half full
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: Tuesday, February 25, 2014, 17:12:29 »

You need to try and focus on the glass is half full

Don't say that to Reg!
Only Me

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: Wednesday, February 26, 2014, 05:42:02 »

Don't say that to Reg!
Why not?