Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Crewe Vs Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 32509 times)
cib

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: Saturday, March 17, 2012, 18:38:02 »

Crewe were a good side and putting it into perspective, we were never going to go through until May without a couple of slip ups. It's how we bounce back from these that will show what we're made of. If we do, we'll be up, no problem.

They snuffed us out, doubled up on Ritchie and Rooney, and we didn't get going at all until the second goal went in. In the first half - we weren't particularly quick with our play and at times there were too many aimless balls down the channel - partly due to Crewe pressing us well. Ferry/Risser were generally anonymous for the most part in the midfield, Tehoue didn't look that committed whilst Rooney/Ritchie were ineffective.

Their goal came from a cut back from the by-line and no-one picking up the loose man coming in from the edge of the box. Good finish, poor marking. Should've dealt with it alot better. But to be fair they could've been 2-3 up at half time.

Second half, Holmes looked dangerous and put in some good crosses, Murray coming on (despite a fair few singing for Connell - which is another debate by looks of things) did well I thought but should've scored when they played him in. He tried and failed awfully to lob Phillips. We got the ball wide, sooner and managed to get more success. But their goal came from something similar from the first half, unmarked lad coming in from midfield and taking a touch before scoring. After that, for the last 25mins we battered them, Tehoue missed a one on one disappointingly/good save and we hit the woodwork a couple of times. Wasn't our day going forward.

Overall, I expected days like today. Crewe played good football and Powell is/will be a very good player in the future whilst Westwood in the midfield ran it for them for the first 65 mins. But we need to up our game for Torquay, with some changes I hope.

There were some boo's at half time not a huge amount but enough although I'm not surprised, we have some absolute mongs. Guy behind me all game moaned and moaned about this that and the other contradicting himself on more than one occasion. We don't have a divine right to beat Crewe away unfortunately, things won't go our way like today and the mong fans need to realise that. From my point of view, they can either support the team/11 out on the field or fuck off.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: Saturday, March 17, 2012, 18:40:22 »

Crewe were a good side and putting it into perspective, we were never going to go through until May without a couple of slip ups. It's how we bounce back from these that will show what we're made of. If we do, we'll be up, no problem.

They snuffed us out, doubled up on Ritchie and Rooney, and we didn't get going at all until the second goal went in. In the first half - we weren't particularly quick with our play and at times there were too many aimless balls down the channel - partly due to Crewe pressing us well. Ferry/Risser were generally anonymous for the most part in the midfield, Tehoue didn't look that committed whilst Rooney/Ritchie were ineffective.

Their goal came from a cut back from the by-line and no-one picking up the loose man coming in from the edge of the box. Good finish, poor marking. Should've dealt with it alot better. But to be fair they could've been 2-3 up at half time.

Second half, Holmes looked dangerous and put in some good crosses, Murray coming on (despite a fair few singing for Connell - which is another debate by looks of things) did well I thought but should've scored when they played him in. He tried and failed awfully to lob Phillips. We got the ball wide, sooner and managed to get more success. But their goal came from something similar from the first half, unmarked lad coming in from midfield and taking a touch before scoring. After that, for the last 25mins we battered them, Tehoue missed a one on one disappointingly/good save and we hit the woodwork a couple of times. Wasn't our day going forward.

Overall, I expected days like today. Crewe played good football and Powell is/will be a very good player in the future whilst Westwood in the midfield ran it for them for the first 65 mins. But we need to up our game for Torquay, with some changes I hope.

There were some boo's at half time not a huge amount but enough although I'm not surprised, we have some absolute mongs. Guy behind me all game moaned and moaned about this that and the other contradicting himself on more than one occasion. We don't have a divine right to beat Crewe away unfortunately, things won't go our way like today and the mong fans need to realise that. From my point of view, they can either support the team/11 out on the field or fuck off.

Thanks for that,always nice to hear a report from someone who went.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: Saturday, March 17, 2012, 18:41:16 »

?

He played today

Didn't follow game too closely today.  Can you tell?
stfcinbmth

« Reply #348 on: Saturday, March 17, 2012, 18:46:14 »

Just my two penny worth regarding Connell from what I have seen this season, live games and the cup run on the TV. He's not an out and out goal scorer by any means, he's often in the right place at the right time but as others have stated he misses a few.
It's his general link up play that impresses me, he holds the ball up well with his back to goal, bringing the wingers into play with intelligent balls out wide and back into midfield, plus the fact he'll wade in with a few goals and lets not lose sight of the fact he's our top goal scorer.

Just don't understand it
hobnob

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: Saturday, March 17, 2012, 18:47:43 »

Spot on mate
Gerinthere

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: Saturday, March 17, 2012, 18:51:32 »

for the last 25mins we battered them,

We know and they know that they can turn it on at any time. We just needed to do it from kick off rather than going two goals down first.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: Saturday, March 17, 2012, 18:58:32 »

Thanks cib.

Ardiles - Flint has been training for 10 days apparently.

Also should point out I have nothing against Murray, he has good movement.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: Saturday, March 17, 2012, 19:27:52 »

Thanks cib.

Ardiles - Flint has been training for 10 days apparently.

Also should point out I have nothing against Murray, he has good movement.

Whats his bowel's got to do with it Grin
limpwrist

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: Saturday, March 17, 2012, 20:11:43 »

You can't play for fifteen minutes in a match and expect to get anything from it.
We havn't played well since gaining top spot but today I felt Crewe battled more and despite hitting the bar a couple of times always thought we weren't going to score.
Dirk Diggler

« Reply #354 on: Saturday, March 17, 2012, 20:43:51 »

As one of the few on this forum that goes to the vast majority of away games I feel obliged to comment.

I do wish that one or two of you would refrain from adversely commenting about games that you have only listened to on the radio or, worse still, followed on the internet.

I was not aware of one single boo against any of our players from our fans. Its true that Ritchie didn't walk over to our section of the stand but considering that he was only standing approx 20 yards from the tunnel when the whistle blew I don't think it was the end of the world. Remember we had lost and if truth be told the volume of support wasn't fantastic.

Before anyone gets to carried away, in my opinion, Tehoue had a more than reasonable last 25/30 minutes as did the whole team. Would Alan Connel have scored if he had come on-doubtful. The issue was that for the 3rd of the last 4 games we were outnumbered in midfield by a team playing 5 and one up front. It was only when Kennedy was replaced and we went 3 at the back that we improved. Personally I thought that Murray in midfield/"the hole" was going to be a mistake but actually thought that he played well and would advocate that he plays in a similar postion, behind Benson for Tuesday. 3 points will be fantastic for the championship, however, 1 will suffice.

Keep the faith Keyboard Warriors
aroundthefur

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: Saturday, March 17, 2012, 20:54:17 »

- McCormack at right back robs us of our best centre back and I thought that was notable today. We missed his mobility and reading of the play against a team with good link-up play. Devera and Flint don't seem to ever make a good pairing.
- Thought Risser was the wrong choice today. Reckoned beforehand J Smith would play as his ability to break up the play and hustle would have stopped Crewe's passing. Risser couldn't match Crewe's pace in midfield.
- Wonder whether PDC sees Connell as a lesser version of Benson and wants a partnership that offers different types of problem for opposition defenders? Can see what PDC is looking for in Tehoue as he gave us power and strength but he really should have scored at least once today.
- Lee Holmes' ability was evident. Good signing.
- Crewe pressed us well in the first half. The game reminded me of Torquay on Boxing Day in that the opposition got amongst us from the whistle and denied us from getting going. Then having got a lead they were able to withhold a string of second half attacks.
- Crewe are a good footballing side. Can see why there is plenty of hype about Nick Powell.
- Disappointing performance from Kennedy. Did not link up with either winger and very ordinary distribution.
- Murray is lightning quick with good movement but his finishing is currently very poor.

Good away day to Crewe I reckon.
Cibocchi_Is_God

The Italian Stallion

Ignore
« Reply #356 on: Saturday, March 17, 2012, 20:59:31 »

Having gone to the game I can confirm that there was no booing at the final whistle, a few grunts at half time but certainly no boos!

On the game, Crewe looked a decent side and played some very good football at times. They played triangles round Risser and Ferry, constantly breaking through our midfield line giving them time and space to pick a pass. Certainely missed Smith's robust tackling and energy against a side that like us have a lot of energy.

Missed Caddis bigtime! Ritchie looked a wee bit lost without him, every time he cut inside he hesitated as though he was waiting for McCormack to overlap where Caddis usually would. Could have done with McCormack in the cntre and possibly Devera at right back, the defence looked very unorganised today which is unlike us. So with Caddis potentially back come tuesday we should be ok.

Ritchie and Rooney were equally as ineffective, possibly because of the 'inverse wingers' thing. Most likely because Crewe had done their homework and neither reveived proper support from Ferry, or the fullbacks playing behind them. We looked more dangerous when Holmes came on... He attacked with purpose and pace unlike Ritchie or Rooney had. Whipped in some great balls with both his left and right foot. Would probably be right that Holmes and Rooney start the next game on their natural feer (dependent on wether Caddis is back)

Despite the majority of town fans shouting 'he's rubbish' and whatnot at Tehoue, I thought he wasnt that bad. Put plenty of work in, won a few balls in the air. However, he should have netted his one on one and I, like most wanted Connell to come. I really think it would have made a difference.

Di Canio's comments are about right IMO. We cant continue to play like that and think we're worthy of winning the league, it must be better. On Ritchie, Ritchie gave the fans a sarcastic thumbs up during the first half when there were a few groans after he gave the ball away, at the end of the game all of the players came over to clap. With all of them clapped back including Tehoue and Risser who bore the brunt of most of the criticism. Although I have to say, I didnt see Ritchie at the end of the game. I doubt it's any more than frustration from getting beat more than anything else.

Hopefully back to a more familiar team selection on tuesday and a more familiar result! League must be the priority and we cannot let Wembley get in the way of our promotion charge! Anywho onwards, upwards, COYR's ect ect!
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: Saturday, March 17, 2012, 21:08:52 »

Having gone to the game I can confirm that there was no booing at the final whistle, a few grunts at half time but certainly no boos!

On the game, Crewe looked a decent side and played some very good football at times. They played triangles round Risser and Ferry, constantly breaking through our midfield line giving them time and space to pick a pass. Certainely missed Smith's robust tackling and energy against a side that like us have a lot of energy.

Missed Caddis bigtime! Ritchie looked a wee bit lost without him, every time he cut inside he hesitated as though he was waiting for McCormack to overlap where Caddis usually would. Could have done with McCormack in the cntre and possibly Devera at right back, the defence looked very unorganised today which is unlike us. So with Caddis potentially back come tuesday we should be ok.

Ritchie and Rooney were equally as ineffective, possibly because of the 'inverse wingers' thing. Most likely because Crewe had done their homework and neither reveived proper support from Ferry, or the fullbacks playing behind them. We looked more dangerous when Holmes came on... He attacked with purpose and pace unlike Ritchie or Rooney had. Whipped in some great balls with both his left and right foot. Would probably be right that Holmes and Rooney start the next game on their natural feer (dependent on wether Caddis is back)

Despite the majority of town fans shouting 'he's rubbish' and whatnot at Tehoue, I thought he wasnt that bad. Put plenty of work in, won a few balls in the air. However, he should have netted his one on one and I, like most wanted Connell to come. I really think it would have made a difference.

Di Canio's comments are about right IMO. We cant continue to play like that and think we're worthy of winning the league, it must be better. On Ritchie, Ritchie gave the fans a sarcastic thumbs up during the first half when there were a few groans after he gave the ball away, at the end of the game all of the players came over to clap. With all of them clapped back including Tehoue and Risser who bore the brunt of most of the criticism. Although I have to say, I didnt see Ritchie at the end of the game. I doubt it's any more than frustration from getting beat more than anything else.

Hopefully back to a more familiar team selection on tuesday and a more familiar result! League must be the priority and we cannot let Wembley get in the way of our promotion charge! Anywho onwards, upwards, COYR's ect ect!

If I was Matt Ritchie I would feel pretty unappreciated by Town fans. Rightly got player of the season and you very rarely hear his name sung, whilst Cibocchi, McCormack, Kerrouche, Connell, Rooney et al do. A bit like Simon Cox when he was with us...
Hitchinred

Ignore
« Reply #358 on: Saturday, March 17, 2012, 21:11:46 »

Didn't see anything at full time but Ritchie definitely gave a disapproving look towards the section of the crowd where a few were booing at half time as he left the field.
aroundthefur

Ignore
« Reply #359 on: Saturday, March 17, 2012, 21:12:54 »

Didn't see anything at full time but Ritchie definitely gave a disapproving look towards the section of the crowd where a few were booing at half time as he left the field.
And he had every right to.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26   Go Up
Print
Jump to: