Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon parishes  (Read 3676 times)
Skinny Pete

« on: Friday, November 6, 2015, 17:34:42 »

Looks like there may be a referendum on splitting Swindon completely into parishes.

I have no great interest in local politics but this is one fucking sly trick by the Tory Council.

As things stand now existing parishes get direct funding from the Council for all kinds of services. Those areas not parishes get services directly from the Council.

The Local Government law enforces councils to fund parishes but leaves it free to decide what services to spend the rest on in non-parished parts of the Borough.

If they succeed in sectioning the entire Borough off into parishes they will underfund them and will be able to deflect complaints about services from Council to the parishes themselves.

Stinks
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, November 6, 2015, 17:38:14 »

don't understand, if they have to fund parishes then it's best to be parished as it were?
Skinny Pete

« Reply #2 on: Friday, November 6, 2015, 17:46:10 »

Parishes are funded on house values in that parish. You can be sure they will be underfunded.

So if you get a pothole in your road it will be your parish responsible for fixing it.

When the year's budget runs out it'll be the parish getting it in the neck, not the Council.

They are, in fact, abdicating financial responsibility to deflect criticism
Ironside
Wir müssen die Liberalen ausrotten

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #3 on: Friday, November 6, 2015, 17:49:03 »

Just another layer of bureaucracy as per the continental model required by the EU.

Genius, Gentleman Explorer, French Cabaret Chantoose  and Small Bets Placed and someone who knows who they are changed my signature but its only know that I can be arsed to change it....and I mean all the spelling mistakes.

Was it me? It can't have been an interesting enough event for me to remember - fB.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, November 6, 2015, 18:18:47 »

The parish was responsible for the Poor Law in pre and developing industrial Britain....which meant the Workhouse for the elderly, abandoned and unemployed.

In Swindon it was at Stratton....read about it in Alfred Williams In a Wiltshire Village....Tories want to take us back to that.

Pint
Ironside

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, November 6, 2015, 18:53:51 »

The parish was responsible for the Poor Law in pre and developing industrial Britain....which meant the Workhouse for the elderly, abandoned and unemployed.

In Swindon it was at Stratton....read about it in Alfred Williams In a Wiltshire Village....Tories want to take us back to that.

Pint
I didn't see that assertion in the Conservative manifesto. I don't see that...desire, in their last budget either. Although the former may be true, that doesn't make the latter true.

In any event, this is how the continental local governments work and as we all know, this is how Britain will also be run.

Genius, Gentleman Explorer, French Cabaret Chantoose  and Small Bets Placed and someone who knows who they are changed my signature but its only know that I can be arsed to change it....and I mean all the spelling mistakes.

Was it me? It can't have been an interesting enough event for me to remember - fB.
Red and Proud

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, November 6, 2015, 18:59:46 »

Pint
which is why labour let in all the cheap labour from eastern europe to surprsess the wages of its working class core vote....
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, November 6, 2015, 19:38:04 »

I didn't see that assertion in the Conservative manifesto.

Similar to the cuts to Working Tax Credit, you wouldn't have seen that there either....even the House of Lords couldn't stomach that despire the Tories flying in Andrew Lloyd Webber (net worth £650 Million) in a desperate attempt to save te vote.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, November 6, 2015, 21:06:59 »

Similar to the cuts to Working Tax Credit, you wouldn't have seen that there either....even the House of Lords couldn't stomach that despire the Tories flying in Andrew Lloyd Webber (net worth £650 Million) in a desperate attempt to save te vote.
Yet in terms of the Lib Dem ' fatal motion' more Labour Peers abstained than voted in favour of it. Mr Corbyn may like to continue to berate the Lords but its the closest we have to a coherent opposition at the moment whilst Corbyn and his supporters play student communism and wave their bits around.
Talk Talk

Re:
« Reply #9 on: Friday, November 6, 2015, 22:19:27 »

Just another layer of bureaucracy as per the continental model required by the EU.

Absolutely right.

Hello Ironside

But nobody gives a shit   
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, November 6, 2015, 22:23:28 »

It works very well in France
Talk Talk

« Reply #11 on: Friday, November 6, 2015, 22:29:02 »

NOTHING works very well in France

They can't even design trains to fit inside their platforms
Ironside

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, November 6, 2015, 22:40:38 »

NOTHING works very well in France

They can't even design trains to fit inside their platforms
Haha haha....

Christy

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, November 6, 2015, 23:13:58 »

I'm sure Red Frog will confirm, but we really don't want to be comparing UK productivity against France.  Or Italy.  And don't even think about Germany.
johnritsons toupe

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, November 6, 2015, 23:24:49 »

Pint

I always associated the word parish with religious or church areas. Maybe its from my childhood and when I got married, but the word always seemed to mean something more important than a division of an area that can be treated differently from another area in order to tax one set of people more than others.

Sounds like something I need to do some swatting up on to find out more.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: