Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Afc Rochdale v Swindon Town Matchday Thread  (Read 61452 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #300 on: Monday, November 21, 2016, 16:38:58 »

Psychology is the study of the human mind. What we think, the way we act, why we think and act that way. That it is a study automatically makes it a science but that is exactly what science is.

The examples stated above only go on to cement further that it is, indeed, a science. Previous findings have been investigated and some have found to be faulty. They will now be discarded or improved. That is how science works. Science isn't about getting everything right. It's about investigation to find out what we can. Granted, there's a fuck ton of stuff we don't know about but there's also a lot of stuff that we do know about. Go into any major supermarket and you will be surrounded be examples of psychology at work and they use these.... because they work.

There are certain reasons why we think and act the way we do. Our tendency to recognise agency. The way we are more likely to focus on the bad than the good.... and so on. Of course, these are rudimentary basics and there are much, much more nuanced parts of our psyche that are a lot harder to understand.

Raising some examples of when it didn't work in attempt to debunk it as a whole just shows a lack of understanding of how the scientific method works. Newton's theory of gravity was found to be faulty, does that mean we shouldn't trust scientific investigation? Of course not. It's all about trying to understand everything the best we possibly can and improving on what we already know as much as possible. It's not about getting it right every time. It never has been.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: Monday, November 21, 2016, 16:41:32 »

There's two things that stand out for me, and have done all season.

1) They aren't fit
2) They aren't disciplined

We can't play two games in a week, it's obvious. Not to mention the fact we pick up a shit load of injuries and did last season too. Sometimes it's bad luck but if something keeps happening there is a reason. The amount of bookings we've had, penalties we've conceded and the fact their heads drop as soon as we concede one points to a complete lack of discipline.

This is down to Williams. He's their mate, they all love him, which is fine but we need a 'bad cop' and that now HAS to be Sherwood.

I think we have enough in our squad to be midtable. Improvements have to be made on the two points I've stated above IMO, and we need a plan B when things don't work. I'd sooner the players were fit and organised than 'passionate'.

Agreed Tails.I was ridiculed a few pages back for putting the blame on Williams.Whether he is manager in name or not,the frailties of the players are now deep seated.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: Monday, November 21, 2016, 16:43:23 »

My main concern would be that someone who doesn't recognise psychology could be pretty vulnerable to exploitation by someone who does.

Have I just summed up 21st Century politics? 

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #303 on: Monday, November 21, 2016, 16:44:55 »

He really hasn't - he's asserted that he thinks something is a "crock" on the basis of absolutely fuck all and pasted a URL from the Internet that is in roughly the same area. He may as well have said he doesn't believe in electricity and pasted a URL about npower's billing problems.
Well he didn't he said... Mmmm. Not convinced by the charlatans using psycho babble. In regards to sports. Many will agree with him,fair enough.
Flashheart

« Reply #304 on: Monday, November 21, 2016, 16:47:44 »

Well he didn't he said... Mmmm. Not convinced by the charlatans using psycho babble. In regards to sports. Many will agree with him,fair enough.

Quoted verbatim:

Please note that I actually said that I think it's a crock - alongside astrology. Not sure if it's actually seen as a science, though as its results, whatever they may be, are not predictable.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: Monday, November 21, 2016, 16:53:36 »

He really hasn't - he's asserted that he thinks something is a "crock" on the basis of absolutely fuck all and pasted a URL from the Internet that is in roughly the same area. He may as well have said he doesn't believe in electricity and pasted a URL about npower's billing problems.

Woah hang on, he has quoted the Guardian which for a large proportion of the population is more believable than science..... although I am surprised they haven't referred to it as pyscholgoy?

Psychology intrigues me (I am a bit of a people watcher - although I don't mean women's bedrooms with binoculars), having lived with a couple of psychology students whilst at university its serious stuff. However amusingly, of the psychologists that I know, one would expect them to have some idea of emotion and empathy knowing how the mind works and how different people react, however they seem completely unable to empathise with people or accept that people just cannot 'get over it', possibly you become immune to it!
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #306 on: Monday, November 21, 2016, 16:57:33 »

Quoted verbatim:

He says i am not sure doesn't he? and he thinks it is a crock. Maybe i am being thick but not sure it warrants the constant belittling every single post he makes gets
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: Monday, November 21, 2016, 16:59:41 »

Psychology is the study of the human mind.

Thanks for clarifying that.....  Wink Cheesy

Granted, there's a fuck ton of stuff we don't know about but there's also a lot of stuff that we do know about.

Having spent way too much time over the last 12 months having my brain scanned, tested and god knows what else and also spending a fair time in the company of neurologists, there is a fucking huge amount that we do not know about the mechanics of the brain and the way that it affects peoples ability to deal with and react to things!  Hmmm

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: Monday, November 21, 2016, 17:03:34 »

Psychology is the study of the human mind. What we think, the way we act, why we think and act that way. That it is a study automatically makes it a science but that is exactly what science is.

The examples stated above only go on to cement further that it is, indeed, a science. Previous findings have been investigated and some have found to be faulty. They will now be discarded or improved. That is how science works. Science isn't about getting everything right. It's about investigation to find out what we can. Granted, there's a fuck ton of stuff we don't know about but there's also a lot of stuff that we do know about. Go into any major supermarket and you will be surrounded be examples of psychology at work and they use these.... because they work.

There are certain reasons why we think and act the way we do. Our tendency to recognise agency. The way we are more likely to focus on the bad than the good.... and so on. Of course, these are rudimentary basics and there are much, much more nuanced parts of our psyche that are a lot harder to understand.

Raising some examples of when it didn't work in attempt to debunk it as a whole just shows a lack of understanding of how the scientific method works. Newton's theory of gravity was found to be faulty, does that mean we shouldn't trust scientific investigation? Of course not. It's all about trying to understand everything the best we possibly can and improving on what we already know as much as possible. It's not about getting it right every time. It never has been.

Psychology is a study.....to which the scientific method can be applied. However you can study te works of William Shakespeare and not be involved in a science.

An apple dropping form a tree can be observed as many times as you like it will always fall down.....go anywhere you like on the planet, the same will happen.

Stick you're products on a shelf in a certain way in Tesco and some people might purchase, many won't and those same people might not the next day.   To get scientific rigour here, you would need to control a massive number of variables to  establish it as a fact.

Flashheart

« Reply #309 on: Monday, November 21, 2016, 17:05:16 »

He says i am not sure doesn't he? and he thinks it is a crock. Maybe i am being thick but not sure it warrants the constant belittling every single post he makes gets

Belittled? I'm just explaining to him how he's wrong.
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #310 on: Monday, November 21, 2016, 17:10:52 »

Belittled? I'm just explaining to him how he's wrong.
Was referring to Paul D saying he can't read etc
Flashheart

« Reply #311 on: Monday, November 21, 2016, 17:11:06 »

Stick you're products on a shelf in a certain way in Tesco and some people might purchase, many won't and those same people might not the next day. To get scientific rigour here, you would need to control a massive number of variables to  establish it as a fact.

Again, science isn't about getting it exactly right. It's about doing the best it can and continually trying to improve on that.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: Monday, November 21, 2016, 17:15:26 »

I suppose that in my ignorant fashion I was trying to say that psychology cannot sit beside, say, chemistry or physics, as its results are not predictable nor repeatable.

If just studying something makes it a science, fair enough.

I tug at my belittled forelock
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #313 on: Monday, November 21, 2016, 17:15:51 »

Was referring to Paul D saying he can't read etc
That was because he clearly hadn't read the post he was apparently disagreeing with. If you're going to disagree with something, at least make sure you actually read what you're saying is wrong. FFS, mollycoddling much?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: Monday, November 21, 2016, 17:20:37 »

But to re-unite everyone, whatever the merits of psychology, sports science or whatever, one thing we can all agree on - the team is a crock. <Group Hug>
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24   Go Up
Print
Jump to: