Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 31   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Asian Cup  (Read 112485 times)
NZrobin

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 04:50:52 »

On Foxtel during the "after match interviews" after the Iraq game

Heard....

"Yes, Swindon Town NOW dominating the Asia Cup............Yes Swindon Town"

Fuck, tears came to my eyes !!!

COYMRS   Smiley
Red and Proud

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 07:14:30 »

On the perceived wisdom that WHU won the '66 World Cup, could it be conceivable that little "lowly" STFC win the Asia Cup?
NZrobin

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 08:13:26 »

That fantastic January night in 1967....yes, Swindon were the World champions.

Well in my eyes they were !!!

COYMRS
kerry red

« Reply #153 on: Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 08:16:22 »

Mass on again at 9.00
kerry red

« Reply #154 on: Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 09:06:53 »

Blimey, Oman look pretty good
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #155 on: Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 09:07:24 »

Less than 6 minutes into the game and first mention of "Swindon".
Processed Beats

I drop beats from this processed meat.

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 09:29:27 »

Luongo just had a hand in the opening goal. His corner was headed down by a teammate before McKay stroked it in. Not quite an assist but he's looking good again.
Processed Beats

I drop beats from this processed meat.

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 09:30:56 »

The second was definitely Luongo's assist though!
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #158 on: Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 09:31:03 »

A proper 'assist' now though!   Smiley
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 10:11:55 »

Subbed on 51 with Cahill. Commentators said another very decent performance, 3 nil and game over. Rest time
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 12:11:03 »

Good STFC coverage in the Guardian today, mentioning us going top of L1 and bossing the Asia Cup at the same time

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/jan/13/asian-cup-daily-swindon-town-bossing-tournament
Bennyh

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 12:37:04 »

First, let me introduce myself. I'm an Australian in Sydney, but grew up in the West Country a long time ago

Luongo, known well to you guys...but not so to the Australian football community, is having a great impact on the squad. I just returned from tonight's game. He played a more balanced 51 mins tonight (his first 20 mins of the Kuwait match he was a headless chook) and provided the assist.
 Let it be known, one the great assets he brings to the Aussie squad is his 'league one' approach to tackling. Yes, its but wayward, but in this squad ...it shows great determination.

He is not the best thing since sliced bread...but he is drawing opponents in and releasing the ball well and with a national team lacking depth, its good to have him on board.

During a TV interview, I'm convinced he has picked up a touch of west country twang in his accent too.

You obviously are not missing your two players over here, great win over Coventry and top of the table, more importantly above City.
MrLuongo

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 13:00:09 »

Hey there.

Lurked on the forum for the past couple of days, and particularly this thread. Thought I'd sign up to discuss the Asian Cup and of course Mas.

He's pretty much the toast of Australia at the moment. Had always read he had talent but we've never really been given the opportunity to see it aside from a couple of friendlies.

Just a few thoughts on the tournament, the Socceroos, Mas and what he offers us.

As one poster noted after watching a game the quality of many Asian teams is quite poor. I think the comment was made about the Iraq v Jordan game. I watched it and it was pretty scrappy.

That was two of the poorer teams however. And while you often have an entertaining contest, the quality of football is not that high.

What you have when one of those poorer teams plays one of the powerhouses of Asian football -- Japan, South Korea, Australia or Iran (the teams that were at the WC in Brazil) -- is a situation where the minnow will play with 11 men behind the ball and park the bus Mourinho-at-Anfield-from-last-season style.

When you have two powerhouses playing each other, you typically get much better football. So the upcoming game that will decide who tops our group -- South Korea or Australia -- will likely be a lot better. Still, it won't be Germany vs Spain.

However, despite the fact that many Asian teams are quite poor, we've often struggled to break them down when they play ultra defensive football. And they've often been adept at hitting us on the counter or nicking a goal from a set piece.

However, our tactics at the moment and with players like Mas we're breaking them down with ease.

We're playing with a single striker, but with a series of mobile attacking mids/wingers who are all rotating and causing mischief. Making runs and pulling defenders out of position. Our full backs are also overlapping and providing attacking outlets as well.

Testament to this threat-from-anywhere-strategy is that we've scored 8 goals in two games this tournament and all have come from different players.

The best of these attacking mids so far has been Mas. He is picking up the ball between the lines and playing incisive little balls as well making runs behind the lines (with and without the ball) and he is tracking defensively. He's proving a nightmare for the Asian defences. It seems like he's everywhere.

I'd love to know how this compares with what he does at Swindon?

In the first game he obviously got MoM with his assist and goal and general great play. If he had of played the full 90 vs Oman he may have got the MoM for this game too. His assist was real quality and his general play couldn't be faulted.

Subbed on 51 with Cahill. Commentators said another very decent performance, 3 nil and game over. Rest time

He was subbed off very early, with Cahill. Though as you can probably tell this wasn't because of poor perfomance. To the contrary. Postecoglu, our coach, has said that he wants to rest and rotate players early in the tournament to keep the whole squad fresh.

And I think it's a testament to how well he's considered that he came off with a player considered to be our most important. Timmy Cahill.

Anywho. You've got a new Swindon fan and I hope you guys can stay in an automatic promotion spot till the end of the season. And I hope Mas can help keep you there. And in the summer land you a big transfer fee as he makes the move to the Premier League (as he looks like he has the quality).
MrLuongo

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 13:01:13 »

Haha Bennyh, beat me to it.

Were you at the game tonight?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 13:05:23 »

G'day Bennyh.

I have to say tackling is probably the last attribute I'd say Luongo has, so its interesting you picked up on it in a positive way!

Personally I think he has a lot of improving in him still to come. When on form and confident, as has been the case for the last couple of months, he is a real asset. You've identified his drawing the opposition and releasing the ball as one good thing, but he can also carry the ball up the field too, and the quality is there in his passing to open up defences.

Being critical I'd say an off form Luongo wanders around and doesn't contribute much to a game! But consistency comes with experience, and it is already showing. He'll be off to a higher level sooner rather than later.

PS. Please can you get knocked out so that we can have him back sooner. Thanks.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 13:07:46 by Batch » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 31   Go Up
Print
Jump to: