Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 ... 53   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pre-season matches 22-23  (Read 78130 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #450 on: Wednesday, July 20, 2022, 09:43:56 »

I blame the parents.  He was brought up in a time when it was acceptable to punish your kids, too soft Smiley
TBF He started following Man Utd after I had split from his mum, he was a Swindon fan when I lived with him, his mum is a Liverpool fan so he probably rebelled against that!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #451 on: Wednesday, July 20, 2022, 09:57:30 »

TBF He started following Man Utd after I had split from his mum, he was a Swindon fan when I lived with him, his mum is a Liverpool fan so he probably rebelled against that!

Ok, I will let you off for your part in the result, at least you tried Smiley

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #452 on: Wednesday, July 20, 2022, 10:00:13 »

Ok, I will let you off for your part in the result, at least you tried Smiley
I now have to stop him making my granddaughter a Man Utd fan too Wink

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Broadbents Tackle

TEF Historian

Ignore
« Reply #453 on: Wednesday, July 20, 2022, 10:28:12 »

I've never understood the mindset of supporting the best side of the moment, for that sole reason . Is that just a UK thing?

In Cambodia I met plenty of people who support both Barca and Real Madrid. My protestations and attempts to regale - with stories of Catalonia, Fascism and Civil War - alas fell on deaf ears.

Whether your eyes are green, brown, blue, let me see a little bit of red in 'em.
RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #454 on: Wednesday, July 20, 2022, 10:41:03 »

I have taken both my sons and both step daughters to Swindon games, all are in their late 20s early 30s now and only my eldest step daughter is a Swindon fan, but shes also an Arsenal fan.

I told both my sons to follow Swindon but not solely Swindon as you will have a lifetime of disappointment as myself and my dad and also my grandfather before him have had.

I no longer even watch England any more with any enthusiasm after years of following them in the 80's and 90s all over the world, its like a radicalised religion now in which only Swindon Town FC matters.

Not sure I would wish that on any of my children or grandchildren even though my grand daughter loves watching football.

This probably needs a separate topic now!!  I blame the Premier League and the big six (as I do for the rise in temperature on these pages over the past few weeks).  Football has changed, and for those 'long in the tooth' STFC supporters, who have struggled with dashed hopes and disappointment - the lot of supporters of most clubs in the bottom two leagues - for as long as we can remember, that change is hard to understand and rationalise.  And we can long for the good old days when people felt duty-bound to support their local club, come what may, but they will not come back. Football has moved on from 'the pride of the local community' to being global 'entertainment', part of the insufferable celebrity culture which controls public opinion, in which a dozen+ clubs across Europe are in control (and would have split off into the Super League if they had managed it better) and the rest are left with whatever crumbs they can gather up and share with each other.  

I have two football-focussed sons.  We never lived near enough to Swindon to attend games very much, but I had an involvement with Hereford Utd when they were little, and they came along to games regularly, where they got great seats, knew most of the players and generally felt part of the club.  Now one supports Arsenal, the other Spurs.  It costs them a huge amount to get to maybe one or two games per season, and they are not satisfied unless their club looks like winning everything, preferably never losing a match.  They can watch every match on TV, they are never likely to meet any of the players, or feel part of a footballing community, because the top six are 'global brands'.  (When do you hear of people being seduced by Crystal Palace or Wolves or even Leicester over their local Lge 1 or 2 club?) (To be fair to my younger son, he is now putting time and money into New Mills FC in Derbyshire, and his local club.)

Meanwhile, Crawley (why Crawley?) attract a big-spending owner, and we all launch into attacks on them for trying to buy success.  And Clem comes along (OK, I have heard all the question marks about behind the scenes), and promises a new, sustainable future, living within our means, trying to find a new way of pursuing success in the lower leagues, and making our beloved club attractive in that context....and some of us keep challenging him to spend, spend, spend to get us there, as though somewhere in the fantasy of our imagination we want to be the seventh super-club, and that will fulfil all our ambitions.  Well, as Man Utd fans show so well at the moment, the higher you are in the pyramid the greater the expectation and the frustration when the human beings who make up a football club fail to live up to the hype!!

Of course I crave for success like everyone else, but I also love the possibility that we (alongside a relatively small number of other clubs) are in the vanguard, leading the way to that sustainable future for community-based football, and I am happy to loosen the rope around the club, with all the mistakes and frustrations which may arise as a result, and support the vision. I ain't going nowhere!!
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #455 on: Wednesday, July 20, 2022, 11:25:09 »

Now one supports Arsenal, the other Spurs.  It costs them a huge amount to get to maybe one or two games per season, and they are not satisfied unless their club looks like winning everything, preferably never losing a match.  T

Bloody hell the poor buggers will have been lacking in satisfaction over the last few seasons!!  Cheesy Cheesy
RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #456 on: Wednesday, July 20, 2022, 12:25:08 »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #457 on: Wednesday, July 20, 2022, 16:27:18 »

Do it! Supporting Swindon Town teaches stoicism and while he may not thank you for it, it will be good for him.

"If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
 And treat those two impostors just the same"

What is this 'triumph' thing of which you speak?

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #458 on: Thursday, July 21, 2022, 05:46:04 »

My 7 year old lad 'likes' Man City. Not having that, he's a Swindon fan - he just doesn't realise yet
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #459 on: Thursday, July 21, 2022, 06:42:16 »

Part of the problem as well is other kids bullying you for supporting a 'lower league' side.

I know somebody who took their son to football training in a Swindon shirt and he was poked fun at by a bunch of kids in PSG, Liverpool shirts etc.

When you're young you're heavily influenced by people your age and do what you can to fit in.
oxonrobin

Ignore
« Reply #460 on: Thursday, July 21, 2022, 07:09:50 »

In my youth I never understood those of my friends that did turn up in a Real Madrid or Barcelona shirt. On reflection though I guess no real difference in wearing a shirt from Manchester that you have zero connection to, and one from Paris, equally zero connection.

Unless things have got worse, I wouldn’t say I was ever bullied for it. Did hate go into going into school after the 0-1 FA cup defeat to Oxford, not a good day that.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #461 on: Thursday, July 21, 2022, 07:29:52 »

I've had a few Real Madrid shirts over the years, I still sometimes wear a long sleeved, no sponsor, '93 Hummel edition as it's fucking ace.  My dad used to do an awful lot of work in Madrid and his friends there were mostly Real fans so I felt some affiliation to the club when I was young.

Aside from actual glory hunting fans the Swedish are quite funny, working in a very popular ski resort we see absolutely loads of Scandi tourists and seasonal workers and they all love their football, the Swedish in particular though LOVE and WORSHIP Ibra, so much so that they really only seem to support whichever club he currently plays for, the level of adoration is mental with them.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #462 on: Thursday, July 21, 2022, 07:31:56 »

Part of the problem as well is other kids bullying you for supporting a 'lower league' side.

I know somebody who took their son to football training in a Swindon shirt and he was poked fun at by a bunch of kids in PSG, Liverpool shirts etc.

When you're young you're heavily influenced by people your age and do what you can to fit in.

Kids need to be taught the words plastic glory hunter from a young age.

Tbh kids are kids so you can't  really blame them, it's when they don't grow out of it that it becomes an issue. At 18 upwards you think people would have lost the "I support them because they are the best" attitude.
« Last Edit: Thursday, July 21, 2022, 07:34:24 by 4D » Logged
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #463 on: Thursday, July 21, 2022, 08:03:18 »

Kids need to be taught the words plastic glory hunter from a young age.

Tbh kids are kids so you can't  really blame them, it's when they don't grow out of it that it becomes an issue. At 18 upwards you think people would have lost the "I support them because they are the best" attitude.

Challenge any Carling swilling, shirt wearing Sky TV experts in your local and they all swear the go regularly or have been fans for decades. By my reckoning each of the top six PL teams must have a home attendance in the millions. Maybe the authorities should look at their understated gate receipts.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #464 on: Thursday, July 21, 2022, 08:07:39 »

Any old excuse is drilled out. If you're going to support some random club you have no connection with then why not a league 1 or 2 side? I wonder  Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 ... 53   Go Up
Print
Jump to: