Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 6 nations  (Read 28367 times)
DMR

« Reply #60 on: Sunday, February 10, 2013, 18:28:43 »

Not to mention the 'very weird' bit.

alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Sunday, February 10, 2013, 18:29:46 »

Simon Zebo's flick with his foot and subsequent catch looked pretty good to me last weekend.

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
Coca Fola

« Reply #62 on: Sunday, February 10, 2013, 18:31:17 »

I'm presuming you've never played the game at any level Fola?

Passing a rugby ball accurately is nowhere near as easy as it looks, particularly whilst running at speed. Neither is recieving the pass. Timing of the pass and timing of the run are as difficult/easy as they are on a football pitch.

The other facets of the game are as skillful or otherwise as counterparts in other sports. Tackling in Rugby is more than just grabbing someone, in the same way as tackling in football is more than sticking your leg out.

I prefer watching football, but I loved playing rugby. Give it a go if you get the chance.  
Played it when I was at school. Was good as the passing side of the game, but not the physical side, I used to be a midget.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Sunday, February 10, 2013, 18:31:33 »

Most people who play rugby are utter utter cunts and very weird to boot. Ever been on a night out and seen a group of rugby players out on their social? I know someone who had to lick somebody's arsehole for a forfeit.

Oh, so this is all because someone licked your ringpiece? Figures.
Coca Fola

« Reply #64 on: Sunday, February 10, 2013, 18:35:14 »

At the end of the day I'm right. I'm not even trolling, I'm right.
DMR

« Reply #65 on: Sunday, February 10, 2013, 18:46:05 »

I am starting to feel a bit like poor old Slobodan
Coca Fola

« Reply #66 on: Sunday, February 10, 2013, 18:48:25 »

Heart problems?
walcot red

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Sunday, February 10, 2013, 18:51:26 »

Motor Racing - skill

Boxing -skill

Using your rugby has no skill involved argument, Boxing is just two blokes beating each other senseless. Motor Racing the only skill involved is being able to change to gear at high speeds.

The things I can't stand about football don't seem to be present in Rugby, surrounding the ref, and rolling around the ground like a player has been shot, only to get up and run around 30 seconds later.

If Bosnia had a Rugby team you'd soon change your tune.
Coca Fola

« Reply #68 on: Sunday, February 10, 2013, 18:55:50 »

Boxing is split into weight categories, it's not about size/weight as a result. Much more skill involved than two blokes beating each other senseless.
Coca Fola

« Reply #69 on: Sunday, February 10, 2013, 18:56:13 »

With regards to motor racing, not even going to dignify that with a response.
Coca Fola

« Reply #70 on: Sunday, February 10, 2013, 18:58:23 »

Good points about the respect towards the officials and lack of gamesmanship in rugby though.
walcot red

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Sunday, February 10, 2013, 18:59:23 »

With regards to motor racing, not even going to dignify that with a response.

I don't understand why motor sport is considered a sport. Just driving round the same piece of road for what like an hour, then there are the people who go and sit in a stand just see some cars go past really quickly, its like standing by the magic roundabout cheering for a thamesdown bus
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Sunday, February 10, 2013, 19:08:42 »

Not a big fan of rugby but the Six Nations is an ace tournament.

Rugby requires a lot of different skills and abilities to football. Organisation and team work are paramount, if just one player goes walkabout you're fucked. Tackling is an art form, bringing someone twice your size down isn't easy. Field position is as important as possession. Decent rugby is just as enjoyable to watch.

Same with American Football. The technical and organisational side is probably the highest of any team sport. Fitness levels are way beyond most sports, even the fat fuckers on the line would burn most of us in a sprint.

Always been interested in the development of the various forms of football. Not easy finding books or other reference material on it and especially on the evolution of the various rules. Think a lot of people forget or don't realise you were able to handle the ball in the original football rules, amongst other similarities with modern day rugby.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Sunday, February 10, 2013, 19:09:50 »

Actually most would be very good at catching a ball, running with it and falling over. It's really not very hard. The 'skill' they lack is being over 6 foot and as wide as a house.

Apologies for going back a few pages but, out of interest, what's your take on the 100m sprint?  Surely that also is 'catching a ball, running with it and falling over', just without the ball catching and falling over bits.  How athletics manages to draw a global audience is anyone's guess.

Sometimes, you can be so badly wrong that your best course of action is to stop digging, walk away from the computer and then hope that, in time, everyone forgets what you posted.  Now is one of those times.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Sunday, February 10, 2013, 19:12:30 »

Sprinting is not down to height or weight.

Wrong on both counts. There was a documentary on the BBC before the Olympics about the science of sprinting, didn't realise there was so much to it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: