Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Unofficial Olympic thread  (Read 37441 times)
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« on: Friday, August 8, 2008, 13:31:19 »

So final the Chinese Olympics are here, didn't really think much to the opening ceremony (well the bits I saw).  Can't say I'm looking forward to much of the actual sports either, more focussed on the domestic football scene.  Maybe the Olympics will grow on me.

Anyone that anti-China, or should sport and politics not mix?
Rich Pullen

« Reply #1 on: Friday, August 8, 2008, 13:36:09 »

I'm am no fan of the olympics to be honest. Once every four years the world cares about someone running 100m very fast or in the case of GB - rowing.

I can see it's importance etc but it just ain't for me. Saying that, I'll probably end up watching more than I plan too.
kaufman

« Reply #2 on: Friday, August 8, 2008, 13:44:38 »

I think everyone should at least try and watch the highlight on you tube, I was honestly stunned by some of the things they have created and i usually find opening ceremonies boring.
A massive plasma television screen that goes all the way around the stadium for a start with an effect of waterfall pouring in the the stadium and a massive globe that came up from under the pitch with people running around it using wires. not doing it justice but just stunning.

yeo

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, August 8, 2008, 13:48:20 »

is there an official thread?

I dont care about the olympics and wont watch any of it on purpose.I like that thing where loads of people go round a velodrome on bikes without brakes,not sure what its called though.It would be improved if the bikes had spikey whels and guns and stuff though.

/
W56196272

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, August 8, 2008, 13:50:36 »

i used to love stuff like the olympics.but we are shit at nearly all the sports nowadays, thanks to the pc brigade stopping kids winning in schools
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, August 8, 2008, 13:50:40 »

The 'wrongness' of the Olympics can be summed up by our team. I don't mean its dismal medal count, I mean its name "Team GB".

It is just so gay.

That said I like a bit of the Track and field, rowing, etc. Not that bothered to make special arrangement to see it, but if its on I'll happily watch it.

What really pisses me off are the stupid events:
- Walking. Fuck me, man has been doing it for years. Whoopie.
- Dressage . What the fuck is the point. Oooh look at my preddy hoooorse. It's a sport for big girls who couldn't let go of My Little Pony isn't it.
- Ribbon Chasing Gymnastics. As if twirling ribbons is really a sport.
- Synchronised Swimming - No further explanation needed.
- BMX - It's not 19fucking83. Are we to have Hacky sacking and yoyo as well.
- Womens football. I rate it slightly above going to the zoo and poking zoo animal with a stick.

I'd also discount some sports for which the Olympics isn't the pinnacle:
- I like tennis, but it can fuck off back to the Grand Slams for it's peak.
- Football. The World Cup owns the Olympics.

Any other suggestions for banishment to Room 101?

Any suggestions for replacement sports?
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, August 8, 2008, 13:52:44 »

I like the fact the opening ceremony started at 8:08 (Beijing time) on 08.08.08.
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, August 8, 2008, 13:54:25 »

Say what you like about a totalitarian society, they can make 50,000 people wave their arms at the same time.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, August 8, 2008, 14:03:24 »

I like the fact the opening ceremony started at 8:08 (Beijing time) on 08.08.08.

It didn't though Sam, we had it on over here at it defo started at 2000 (their time) not 8 mins past. 

Like others I did enjoy the olympics when I was younger in 84 I used to run around my Grandad's garden pretending to be Daley Thompson (until he told me off for damaging the plants I was using as hurdles), waiting for my Nan to come home from work to give me my bottle of Lucozade.

92 was cool too with Linford winning gold.  96 was when I started going off the games when the flippin yanks got to host it again!!!  Didn't watch much of 00 and 04 although I did watch Steve R get his fifth gold.

And no Orvil, in the words of Bob H "there is no official thread".
flammableBen

« Reply #9 on: Friday, August 8, 2008, 14:14:12 »

i used to love stuff like the olympics.but we are shit at nearly all the sports nowadays, thanks to the pc brigade stopping kids winning in schools

According to medal winning stat thingies, the last olympics was our 2nd best performance since 1924, only losing out to 1984 when loads of teams didn't turn up.

Maybe you'd enjoy stuff more if you stopped blaming non-existent groups for failings which aren't happening.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, August 8, 2008, 14:19:36 »

i haven't seen the stats ben. but i'd take a punt on us not winning as many golds as we used to.i do still enjoy it but we dont seem to get the winners we used to.maybe my perception is all wrong mind?
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, August 8, 2008, 14:20:50 »

It's the lack of track and field success that limits the enjoyment of the games.  I can't get excited about some bloke in a dinghy getting passed some bhoys before some other bloke in a dinghy.

Where's the decent 100m, 110m hurdles, 200m, 400m, 800m, 1500m athletes gone?  

(anything longer than this is boring - apart from the 67,492km steepchase)
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, August 8, 2008, 14:22:07 »

According to medal winning stat thingies, the last olympics was our 2nd best performance since 1924, only losing out to 1984 when loads of teams didn't turn up.

Maybe you'd enjoy stuff more if you stopped blaming non-existent groups for failings which aren't happening.

How many events were there in 1924, how many now?  Surely there are fair more medals to win these days compared with ye olden days.
strooood
As black as Patrick from EastEnders who is officially the blackest man on the planet.

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, August 8, 2008, 14:22:12 »

only one thing i care about in these games...

that is the performance of tony jaffa jeffries. He's got a fight on saturday and has a genuine chance of medalling.
he's a light heavyweight from sunderland with good evasion skills and a rapier like jab with a fierce straight right.

I interviewed him for a piece and he did nothing but help. it's a good story, i'll link it when i can be arsed.

but other than that, come on jaffa arr kid.

officially blacker than the night.

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, August 8, 2008, 14:25:26 »

plus in the 80's when i was a lad the british athletes were big stars.you could name loads of them.nowadays i am  struggling to name a handfull of em.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: