Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How Wiltshire are you??  (Read 21740 times)
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Monday, October 10, 2011, 15:47:34 »

The only person in my family born in Swindon is my little brother.

I was born in Wilts but none of my parents or grandparents were.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Monday, October 10, 2011, 15:49:35 »

Dads side are mainly Southwick and Chippenham born

Mums side are mainly Yatton Keynell and Castle Combe born

We've not done the official tracing but there's no links outside Wiltshire for 150+ years.

100%

I had relos in Yatton Keynell.

Mother's side were all Wiltshire.....father's lot all Dorset,  around Dorchester and Cerne Abbas ( think we may have been a template for the giant  Smiley )

Then Dorset grandfather met grandmother who was one of the Hullavington lot....father born in Somerset,  but grandfather moved up to do union work in the railways.

One or two of these  branches if not getting killed in wars, made it as far away as Gloucestershire, or Hampshire.

Proper yokel me...

Langers

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Monday, October 10, 2011, 15:50:35 »

All of my Dad's side come from Devon, Mums side is from London, so no Wiltshire at all in me.
steptoe41

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Monday, October 10, 2011, 19:25:01 »

I was born in PMH,  the old man was born in Wroughton and the old dear was born in Old Town. Both Grandparents on me mum's side were born in Swindon, and the old mans mum was also born in Wroughton.

The only fly in the ointment was my old man's dad who was a Pakistani. ( Not really, he was scottish which is almost as bad!)

Pretty much 100% Wiltshire me.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #49 on: Monday, October 10, 2011, 20:01:36 »

Both my parents were Kerry born and bred - we go back hundreds of years around Castleisland. I was born in Swindon - the old hospital before PMH - Victoria?? My eldest daugher was born in Slave Trade Central but is Town and my two youngest were born at PMH. I think I may be starting a dynasty in Swindon. 
skin_im_buzzer

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Monday, October 10, 2011, 20:33:15 »

Born and bred in Oxfordshire. Mum from Gloucs, dad from Reading.

So although I've got no wiltshire in me to speak of, I do quite like roundabouts and not getting behind the team.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Monday, October 10, 2011, 20:36:31 »

Both my parents were Kerry born and bred - we go back hundreds of years around Castleisland. I was born in Swindon - the old hospital before PMH - Victoria?? My eldest daugher was born in Slave Trade Central but is Town and my two youngest were born at PMH. I think I may be starting a dynasty in Swindon. 

Is it true that Kerrymen are the butt of jokes for people living in Ireland Chalkies?
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #52 on: Monday, October 10, 2011, 20:40:14 »

Yes. I was up in Donegal and there was a wake in the pub and the jokes about the Kerrymen were flying around. I told the guy my parents were from Kerry and he just said "you've proved my point", bought me a beer and told a few more jokes.
Half Kerry and half Swindon is not seen by many as a very good mix but I'm proud of it
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Monday, October 10, 2011, 20:41:19 »

Yes. I was up in Donegal and there was a wake in the pub and the jokes about the Kerrymen were flying around. I told the guy my parents were from Kerry and he just said "you've proved my point", bought me a beer and told a few more jokes.
Half Kerry and half Swindon is not seen by many as a very good mix but I'm proud of it

Cheesy

TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Monday, October 10, 2011, 20:42:28 »

The only wiltshire person in my family is my younger brother...the rest of us are from up't North (although granted I am 22 and I have lived here for 21+ years so I think I am vertually a Swindonian)

#VivaKenBarlow!
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Monday, October 10, 2011, 20:47:56 »

I wasn't born in Wiltshire and neither were any of my family. Haven't done any of the family history stuff yet but off the top of my head, my Dad's side of the family comes from the north-east, even though he was born in Blackpool, whilst my mum's side are mostly Yorkshire
limpwrist

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Monday, October 10, 2011, 22:06:52 »

You have to have three generations in the cemetary before you become local. Think on mongrels. :-) Soapy Tit Wank
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #57 on: Monday, October 10, 2011, 22:12:10 »

Mum's side of the family are Welsh, my Dad's from Kent/Yorkshire. I was born in Kent but moved to Swindon when I was a couple of years old.

Only family member born in Wiltshire is my brother.

So nope, not at all.
cheltred69

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Monday, October 10, 2011, 22:19:59 »

Never lived in Wiltshire - I and both my parents are Gloucestershire born.

However, have traced my dad's side (and my family name) back another 6 generations; all living around Highworth area so I can probably claim to have a good Wiltshire heritage, though supporting STFC is the only remnant

Have also found ancestors on my mum's side from Brinkworth and Colerne so a bit more Wiltshire there but more coincidental to supporting STFC
wiggy
Whippet fancying, T-shirt flogging cunt

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Monday, October 10, 2011, 23:04:59 »

When I started this I thought there would be loads of replies with similar families to myself, but only a couple of others have had families as static as mine.

Makes me wonder why any of you support Swindon really. When we regularly bang on about supporting your home team, that must be a fairly wide choice for some of you, yet you choose STFC.

Any psychology/sociology students out there willing to offer an explanation?

Thank [insert deity of choice] for beer and peanuts
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: